Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advan Sa-3 Split Rim Alloys - Full Refurb - Pics

Vlad_E

When I bought the car in 2004, these wheels were already on it and were sprayed in silver, but looked tired, since then they have been reprayed 4 times by me, but they have never been refurbed properly but taking them to pieces and removing all the paint, so I thought I'd have another go, properly

To start with I removed all the bolts using an 8mm socket and a 10mm spanner for the rear nut

DSC00021Medium.jpg

Then with a hammer and a lump of wood, I knocked the center out

DSC00022Medium.jpg

eww, look how manky they are close up... They originally came from Japan painted red

DSC00023Medium.jpg

The rim itself was badly pitted from where it was hard to polish between the bolts

DSC00024Medium.jpg

Back to the center, and after leaving paint stripper on it for 10 mins, it looked like this

DSC00025Medium.jpg

The inside of the rim had also been painted by someone before, so i took paint stripper to this too

DSC00026Medium.jpg

A close up of the rim, and how dirty it was between the bolt holes

DSC00027Medium.jpg

The rim after rubbing it over with wet and dry paper and a scouring pad

DSC00028Medium.jpg

close up, its getting there!

DSC00029Medium.jpg

the center with all the paint removed, ready for a wash in the bath, and a pre wipe with surface cleaner before paint

DSC00030Medium.jpg

Primer applied, and first top coat of Zircon Blue

DSC00031Medium.jpg

Between applying the paint and letting it dry, I polished the rim... Using a buffing wheel on the drill ... Polish applied

DSC00032Medium.jpg

Polish taken off, autosol'd and waxed

DSC00035Medium.jpg

close up, its getting there

DSC00036Medium.jpg

The split rim bolts was left in Jizer for a few days to soak, before cleaning them with an old toothbrush, wire wool, then polished with autosol

DSC00037Medium.jpg

After several coats of blue, and about 5 coats of laquer the paint was left to try and harden for a few days in the airing cupboard (my family love me!! ) and then it was flatted back with wet and dry paper to make it smooth

DSC00038Medium.jpg

Close up of how dull the paint is

DSC00039Medium.jpg

After a polish and then wax, its starting to get the shine

DSC00043Medium.jpg

DSC00045Medium.jpg

DSC00049Medium.jpg

DSC00050Medium.jpg

DSC00053Medium.jpg

The center was then put back in the rim, and seated with the help of a hammer and block of wood... also the bolts start going back in

DSC00054Medium.jpg

All the bolts were then put back in, and tigtened up, then another polish and wax :thumleft:

DSC00059Medium.jpg

DSC00061Medium.jpg

DSC00062Medium.jpg

DSC00063Medium.jpg

DSC00064Medium.jpg

DSC00058Medium.jpg

The result looks quality IMO, im really happy with them

Ive got new Bridgestones coming next week, so not long until shes back on the road

Let me know what you guys think.... and I hope it inspires a few of you, to refurb your wheels yourself

Review of Dale_Vs refurb thread:

Whilst informative, it was over burdened with details. For example, does it REALLY need a picture of the spanner in question that he used?

This leads me to another question. Is that ACTUALLY the one he used? He could very easily sidetrack and misinform the reader of his tools. Does he lie? Does he tell the truth? Does he wear underpants? Does he say hes wearing underpants when hes not, or does he say hes wearing underpants when he IS wearing underpants. Is this the truth or a double bluff?! The mind wonders.

I also got the feeling reading through this "article" that a much needed life was to be obtained by the writer. Maybe hes shy, maybe hes bored. maybe he needs to get out more. However I do feel this article was very well written and the wheels that were written about were done in a brilliant and immaculate way with great rewards to reap, and i look forward to his next article in the future. Who knows, maybe it will be about gold painted calipers. The mind does wonder

I give this thread 4/5. with the advice that dale buys a mr2 turbo engine. and comes out on the lash with me more.

LMAO

moff, you are a !Removed! son!

the next time you see those wheels they will be going over your face :)

ok, we are off on the ***** on saturday, around wakey... sorted!

oh and cheers mo :thumbsup:

Great write up tarred by an even better response from Moffmo...Absolutely classic!

Those wheels look stunning though, truly superb work!

I think that's F*ing excellent A* (excuse the french..!) Well impressed - :thumbsup:

and I hope it inspires a few of you, to refurb your wheels yourself

nahh not really - looks like too much hard work :)

I think that's F*ing excellent A* (excuse the french..!) Well impressed - :thumbsup:
and I hope it inspires a few of you, to refurb your wheels yourself

nahh not really - looks like too much hard work :)

LOL you're a lazy git rash! :P

cheers chaps :thumbsup:

Bloody excellent job Dale :thumbsup:

Just a couple of things:

How are they off for balance now?

Did you replace the rims back to hubs in the exact hole positions they were split?

Even identical looking machining can have slight variations and they would have balanced them as a matched pair (Hub/Rim)

Did you match the flange faces metal to metal or with painted surfaces?

Friction and movement Will powder any paint on these surfaces which will cause looseness over a short period of time.

One more thing....I've got a set of six spoke Gen7 Celica wheels and a set of Roadster wheels here if you want to play a bit more :lol:

!Removed! excellent job Dale :thumbsup:

Just a couple of things:

How are they off for balance now?

Did you replace the rims back to hubs in the exact hole positions they were split?

Even identical looking machining can have slight variations and they would have balanced them as a matched pair (Hub/Rim)

Did you match the flange faces metal to metal or with painted surfaces?

Friction and movement Will powder any paint on these surfaces which will cause looseness over a short period of time.

One more thing....I've got a set of six spoke Gen7 Celica wheels and a set of Roadster wheels here if you want to play a bit more :lol:

Cheers Les

All good points you've made there :thumbsup:

Balancing - I dont know, ive not been out in the car because its declared SORN, I have new Bridgestones coming next week, so will fit and balance together :)

Yup I replaced the hubs back into the rim in EXACTLY the same position, i marked the rear surfaces so I knew exactly where they should go ;)

I left the center hub flange painted blue, so its paint against metal, just like it came from japan (but red), so it should be fine.... Once its on the road ill drive it for a while, then check the torque

If you want your wheels painting, I dont mind having a go, but be warned lol, I'll get them done when I can be ar5ed haha ... You pay for the materials and ill refurb :thumbsup:

Some pics of the wheels on the car, oh and gold calipers (you were right moffmo :rolleyes: :P )

the gold on the pad is copperslip btw... not paint!

DSC00067Medium.jpg

DSC00068Medium.jpg

DSC00069Medium.jpg

DSC00070Medium.jpg

DSC00071Medium.jpg

One quick question, How annoying was it having to remove 160 bolts and then putting 160 bolts back in (im guessing all them studs are bolts and not dummies) ????

Oh yea, looks Very nice :)

One quick question, How annoying was it having to remove 160 bolts and then putting 160 bolts back in (im guessing all them studs are bolts and not dummies) ????

Oh yea, looks Very nice :)

lol it was tedious, but I suppose it was worth it hahaha

very nicely done Dale :) inspired me to do mine.. but I reckon mine need some extra attention lol... so mebbe next time ;)

Not so sure on the gold caliper tho! :P

Brilliant write up Dale with excellent results, I like the look of them but will have a closer inspection at JAE :thumbsup:

And as for the bling caliper, I like it :thumbsup:

Good work hun.x

Ta JJ

Brilliant write up Dale with excellent results, I like the look of them but will have a closer inspection at JAE :thumbsup:

And as for the bling caliper, I like it :thumbsup:

Good work hun.x

Thanks ash, all depends on whether it's at JAE, im doing my best to get her ready though :thumbsup:

I've just recieved.........

-new alternator

-Alternator belt

-cambelt

-tensioner

-idler pulley

-water pump

-4 * Bridgestone Potenza's

So that will keep me busy, then all I need, is to pass its MOT, get it tracked and tax the bugger! :wacko:

• 7 months later...
very nicely done Dale :) inspired me to do mine.. but I reckon mine need some extra attention lol... so mebbe next time ;)

Not so sure on the gold caliper tho! :P

ok - lets re-open a 6 month old thread lol...

Fantastic work btw, very tempted to get the polisher out now!

Anyway, I just got me some of these rims off eBay, but without nuts...

Can i get them from Halfords etc? or ideally would the ones from my old 14"ers fit?

Any experts on super advans still about?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links