Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rusted Wheel Nuts

anup_cfc

So Toyota Chelmsford contacted me to say finally they had some in.

Went down today, they said it would take 10 mins to change. Was sitting there for over an hour was late for work.

HOWEVER they still hadn't done it.

The excuse this time, they ordered in alloy wheel nuts (fair enough I do have allow wheels) but my Aygo left the factory with steel wheel nuts, so the allow wheel nuts where too big and didn't sit flush with the wheel or something. I frankly don't understand.

I've already wasted a day back in December when they took my car for a whole day and did nothing, and I had to take a day off work as they didn't give a courtesy car and now they have wasted my morning and again done nothing. Is it me or is this such a trivial matter that it should be sorted in 5 minutes and shouldn't take the best part of a year to solve.

I am seriously ticked off with Toyota and I want to know who I should complain to about it. I mean how can my car leave the factory with the wrong wheel nuts in the first place I thought quality control or something was meant to check for these things.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Apologies if I sound a bit angry, but I hope you understand my frustration.

Anup

This is very strange.. I cannot understand how the car could have left the manufacturer with the incorrect wheel nuts.. this is a very serious issue, if the wheels had come off your life was in danger.

Unless the Aygo has different types of wheel, with different wheel nuts, then they couldn't have ordered the "wrong" ones.

This is something Toyota should have sorted out a long time ago as it is a safety issue.. tell your dealer how you feel.. ask them if it is the wrong wheel nuts on your car.. if so, ask them how they plan compensating you for endagering your life for the last year, and also for the losses you have incurred.

this is exactly what i was thinking.

I shall call my dealer and find out what is going on.

just called the dealer,

they said the steel wheel nuts hold the alloys just fine and they would not have let it leave the dealership yesterday if they didn't. so i guess that is reassuring.

still think its a total joke and far too complicated for what is essentially 4 bolts on a wheel.

• 4 weeks later...

My little Aygo Sport has alloy wheels, standard factory jobbies, and I have noticed that the visible end of one nut has blemishes appearing. Minor detail, not overly concerned about it, but thught I would check with Toyota dealer to see if they did a nut cover, similar to the ones on my Astra. Toyota don't do them, so tried the Astra ones and they fit. I have ordered 12 from local Vauxhall agent, and have fitted them on. They protrude a little, but other than that, they cover the brown mark up, so looks a touch better.

Part number from Vauxhall if anyone is interested is 90343694, and retail at £1.84p each, (exc VAT)(have lost touch with all my mechanic buddies, so no trade there then). So if you have a friendly GM Technician who gets things trade for you, should only cost a few pounds to cover them up. Shame I can't find one that fits the locking wheel nut............

• 3 weeks later...

FINAL UPDATE

Just got a call from my dealer and they said Toyota has stopped the corrosion warranty for the wheel nuts now. So it's all a bit well poo frankly. Although they said the body work corrosion still exists. I've come to the conclusion Toyota can't be bothered to replace the wheel nuts and realised its a mistake and this is there way of covering it up. As long as my wheels don't fall off I don't mind.

If they do, sue sue sue sue sue!!!!

They have probably given up changing all of the uncoated parts that are from peugeot/citreon ;)

If you look underneath your AYGO you will notice the hubs/driveshafts etc etc etc are all bare metal and not coated as per usual Toyota parts. These are the parts from the citreon/peugeot side of things as well as the wheel bolts.

Mart

I bought a set of these.

ad.jpg

All the normal covers fit perfectly.

You will need to ask for the larger 25mm Locking bolt covers.

The locking nuts on the Aygo are even larger than this so I used a Dremel

to carefully remove some of the inside from these.

I made the walls VERY thin and they are still a VERY tight fit. You will have to be careful !

P1010491.jpg

P1010492.jpg

Fit them using grease or petroleum jelly. Did I mention they are VERY tight.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links