Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Hid Headlamp Conversion Kit

Ed_Shek

Hi All,

Is anyone interested in purchasing a H7 xenon HID Headlamp conversion kit for their Corolla?

I've currently enquired with a company called HIDS4U who I've emailed regarding one of their conversion kits for my 2002 Corolla T-Sport and this is there reply:

"Hi

if you have H7 fitted we would recommend the ultimate kit. I have attached the information for you below.

Thanks for your email. I am pleased to say it is possible to convert your car to real HID xenon. You should have H7 bulbs for dip and a separate bulb for main beam. It is possible to fit a kit to each beam - but we recommend just dip first as this makes such a huge difference If you can change the bulbs by yourself then you will be able to fit the kit yourself as wiring wise its simple with only 2 wires to connect to existing wiring using spade connectors provided.

This conversion will transform your headlights into amazingly bright high performing headlights with over 300% more light on the road with perfect beam patterns and no glare. Everyone who has done the upgrade confirm it's the best upgrade they have ever done and can't imagine driving a car without xenons ever again.

The bulbs have UV filters and the ballasts are waterproof and do not damage plastic lenses unlike some other kits

All our kits come with 2 year warranty and our prices include VAT. Postage is only 9.99 using Interlink *normally(

We recommend the 6000K and this colour is provided as standard.

If you don't want a blue tint then we recommend the 5000K. Our

H7 bulbs are only 46mm in length and will fit behind the caps - unlike any other HID kit.

There is only one kit that we recommend for your car it which has been specially designed for your car and similar new models and overcomes all issues with bulb alarms, flickering, shutting down and interference with other electronic systems on the car

- its the HIDS4U Ultimate kit which is only 249.99 inc VAT>

If your interested i can look into a discount for you .

This kit is only available from HIDS4U Ltd

If you need anymore information please let us know

Regards

Chris Mason

HIDS4U Limited

www.hids4u.co.uk"

My mate with a Civic Type R recently got a good discount on these kits after expressing an interest on the Type R forum so I'm hoping to do the same. He swears the kit is dead easy to fit too.

If we can club together enough interest then we might be able to get a group purchase going and hence a good discount.

Let me know if your interested and lets see what we can do.

Please check out there website on www.hids4u.co.uk

Cheers

Eddy

For those who are wanting and willing to purchase a kit then a discount can now be had at www.hids4u.co.uk

Those purchasing a ultimate kit should use the voucher code: Toyota one

Those purchasing a pro kit can use the voucher code: Toyota Pro

Cheers!

• 3 years later...

Just a thought that sounds real expensive when eBay sell them for about £80.

Alot of members have brought and expensive one only to find it fails, whereas the eBay ones seem to last.

Have you brought it yet? Im sure other members will contribute and give some advice too.

hids4u is expensive cack! go on eBay and find yourself a 6000k h7 HID kit and pay around 50-70quid. many will vouch for me that the chinese kits on eBay are sooo much more reliable than the hids4u kits. ive had my cheapo chinese kit for over 1 year now and its 100% a ok no problems whatsoever. have heard of hids4u kits needing new ballasts etc.

I have 6 hid's on my car. 2 for the dipped, 2 for the main and 2 for the fogs.

Of those 4 are HIDs4U, 2 of them had ballasts go within 6 months. This isn't normally a problem unless you do a stealth install like me and have to take the bumper off. Having said that, they did replace them but given their price and the fact the cheap Chinese ones I have on my fog lamps work perfectly. I would get the Chinese ones on eBay every time.

I've had a look through the HIDs4u site and came across the following statements.

Firtst statement says - They (their bulbs) also ensure your vehicle will not fail an MOT for having a poor beam pattern.

Second statement clearly says - In the UK, fitting an aftermarket HID kit is not technically road legal as you are replacing a halogen bulb with an HID bulb, because of this the HID bulb cannot be E marked, which is a requirement for it to be road legal. Therefore our HID kits are sold for off-road use only.

Surely this appears to be a contradiction of terms - does it not :ffs:

It also may be worth reading the Dept of Transports Fact Sheet relating to Aftermarket HID (Xeneon) Lights - see lik below.:)

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

thats just marketing sprawl. the statement about the beam pattern especially. if you go to any decent well equipment MOT station and give them a tenner they will re-align your headlights so that 1) the beam pattern is correct and 2) you dont blind oncoming traffic and hence you'll pass an MOT no problem, and although it won't be 100% 'legal' under the DFT rules its not 100% illegal either.

the second point has some truth in it in that modified lighting systems in cars with reflectors (like the corolla) must have an automatic headlight levelling system which our car does not however ive had my hids on for over 1 year and so have several other people on here no ones had any trouble. you're more likely to get pulled for front tinted windows/illegal spacing etc on your number plates than your hids. as long as you stick to 8000k or less (so the light isnt too blue) you should be fine.

I know plenty of people that just get the cheapo chineese jobbies ,i mean Hiduk sell them for an immense mark up ,and the only benefit is there supposedly easier installation and warranty.

If you dont feel confident in fitting them yourself ,pay ur local garage some beer moni ,job done and ul still save x amount of hiduks ultimate kit ,when i get payed next week ,im ordering the eBay jobbies for the TS

if you go to any decent well equipment MOT station and give them a tenner they will re-align your headlights so that 1) the beam pattern is correct and 2) you dont blind oncoming traffic and hence you'll pass an MOT no problem, and although it won't be 100% 'legal' under the DFT rules its not 100% illegal either.

I can understand an MOT station can alter the height and direction of the headlights but how could an MOT station adjust the beam pattern which is entirely created by the design of the headlight unit itself.:)

if you go to any decent well equipment MOT station and give them a tenner they will re-align your headlights so that 1) the beam pattern is correct and 2) you dont blind oncoming traffic and hence you'll pass an MOT no problem, and although it won't be 100% 'legal' under the DFT rules its not 100% illegal either.

I can understand an MOT station can alter the height and direction of the headlights but how could an MOT station adjust the beam pattern which is entirely created by the design of the headlight unit itself.:)

they cant strictly speaking but making sure the hid bulb is seated correctly and clipped correctly would improve the beam pattern due to the light being reflected from the correct portion of the reflector as designed. out of my friends who have hids fitted between us we got a corolla (mine), vw bora, vw golf mk5, pug 206 and an audi a3. none of the cars have a bad beam pattern, the hids in our case (maybe we just got lucky) replicate the beam pattern of the original halogen bulb; just with a much brighter and more intense light.

they cant strictly speaking but making sure the hid bulb is seated correctly and clipped correctly would improve the beam pattern due to the light being reflected from the correct portion of the reflector as designed. out of my friends who have hids fitted between us we got a corolla (mine), vw bora, vw golf mk5, pug 206 and an audi a3. none of the cars have a bad beam pattern, the hids in our case (maybe we just got lucky) replicate the beam pattern of the original halogen bulb; just with a much brighter and more intense light.

So in essence you are saying the beam pattern can not be altered by an MOT testing station.:)

They can alter the beam pattern with the transparent lense-strips which are usually slapped onto the front of import cars.

They can level the headlamps manually and they adjust the direction.

here's my understanding of it.

Beam pattern is governed by the size and shape of the lens, this cannot be altered. However the alignment can be altered by moving the lamp up and down in its housing. This doesn't alter the "pattern" as such but it sets the limit on the height of the beam and left to right scatter.

Having said all this and I'm no headlamp expert, I can't figure out why changing a bulb would alter the beam pattern. As far as the reflector goes, its just a big mirror reflecting light, it can't matter where the light is from?

They can alter the beam pattern with the transparent lense-strips which are usually slapped onto the front of import cars.

What if it's a projector type headlamp??:)

Beam pattern is governed by the size and shape of the lens, this cannot be altered. However the alignment can be altered by moving the lamp up and down in its housing. This doesn't alter the "pattern" as such but it sets the limit on the height of the beam and left to right scatter.

Having said all this and I'm no headlamp expert, I can't figure out why changing a bulb would alter the beam pattern. As far as the reflector goes, its just a big mirror reflecting light, it can't matter where the light is from?

Most modern headlights don't entirely rely on the headlight glass (the lense) or the reflector to determine the shape of the beam - thats why they are called projector lamps.

The construction and design of an HID bulb is entirely different than a normal tungsten. In a tungsten halogen bulb the light source is emitted primarily from the element of the bulb whereas in the HID type the light is emmitted by the gas inside the bulb.

The HID bulb works on the same principle as a household flourescent strip light and we all know that the pattern of light in one of those is vastly different than the standard household tungsten light bulb.:)

Most modern headlights don't entirely rely on the headlight glass (the lense) or the reflector to determine the shape of the beam - thats why they are called projector lamps.

The construction and design of an HID bulb is entirely different than a normal tungsten. In a tungsten halogen bulb the light source is emitted primarily from the element of the bulb whereas in the HID type the light is emmitted by the gas inside the bulb.

The HID bulb works on the same principle as a household flourescent strip light and we all know that the pattern of light in one of those is vastly different than the standard household tungsten light bulb.:)

yes i had gotten confused between beam pattern and alignment of the headlight itself.

all corolla headlamps are reflector units, projectors are the ones which look like a small "eye ball" for example on the 55 shape onwards avensis. they use a specially cut piece of plastic/glass/whatever to shape the beam of light from the light source rather than using a reflecting "cup" behind the light source as the corolla and other reflector type headlamps do. in the reflector headlamp the reflector and the lense of the headlamp is responsible for shaping the beam, in reflector type lamps there is a lense in front of the light source, what i call the "eye ball" and this does the shaping of the beam.

if its a projector type lamp then the type of light source does not make any difference because the beam pattern is determined by the power of the lense in front of the light source rather than the cut or designed angles of the reflector cup behind the light source.

yes i had gotten confused between beam pattern and alignment of the headlight itself.

all corolla headlamps are reflector units, projectors are the ones which look like a small "eye ball" for example on the 55 shape onwards avensis. they use a specially cut piece of plastic/glass/whatever to shape the beam of light from the light source rather than using a reflecting "cup" behind the light source as the corolla and other reflector type headlamps do. in the reflector headlamp the reflector and the lense of the headlamp is responsible for shaping the beam, in reflector type lamps there is a lense in front of the light source, what i call the "eye ball" and this does the shaping of the beam.

if its a projector type lamp then the type of light source does not make any difference because the beam pattern is determined by the power of the lense in front of the light source rather than the cut or designed angles of the reflector cup behind the light source.

Yes all well and true but it still doesn't change the fact that the the light pattern being emitted from each type of bulb is entirely different and in each type of lamp whether it be projector or lens focused both are designed for a particlar bulb type. Change the shape of the light source and everything else will be changed thereafter.:)

Maybe the link below amy be of some help.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/videos/featuresvideos/204742/xenon_test.html

regarding the video it holds no significance for me because i am not the greatest fan of mr king's opinions and secondly the test they carried out is very biased. the car they used is also an old model with poorer quality reflectors and lenses than todays cars and the fact that there can be error introduced by the fitter of the kit. also they did not have headlamps aligned after having the hids fitted which should always be done, similarly like if you put a new set of allow wheels or new tyres on your car you get tracking and wheel alignment checked.

in the video with the hids turned on you can visibly see the glare caused by the HID kit there is no argument about that however in the case of our corolla i can easily stand in front of the car and stare directly into the hid light on my own car with no problems and i wont be dazzled by the glare because there isnt any. both my friends golf and bora do cause a lot more glare compared to my corolla. two reasons, 1, my kit was better quality than theirs and 2, the design of the corolla reflector is very forgiving and is a good design.

i cant even remember what the original topic was but in summary from my point of view in my own car in my experience hid lights are a great addition to a car. they improve the look of the vehicle as well as making night driving safer by correctly illuminating parts of the road to a better extent compared to halogen systems. the law is not 100% strict on hid systems and arguments can be easily made for and against hid which is why i think the police (in my area anyway) arent wasting their time trying to prosecute people with hid in non-projector type lamps in their cars. things like drink/drug driving and speeding will always cause a lot more fatalaties on the road compared to hid systems 'glaring' other road users. the whatcar piece i feel exaggerates the problem but i guess thats just my opinion.

I think the law and rules pertaining to headlights is quite clear. Apart from the advice given by DOT relating to after-market HID lighting lighting must also comply with type approval so in effect if you change the type of bulb in the headlight it is no longer type approved.

Whilst the addition of after-market bulbs may improve safety for the driver of the car it can lead to problems for other road users - I think that was the clear message put across in the video clip. Better still it is difficult to align headlights correctly if the beam pattern is incorrect as the test equipment is specifically designed in accordance with EU legislation, etc.

In my opinion fitting after-market HID bulbs does not comply with the law although the enforcement of such rules (by either the police or MOT testing stations) do appear to be lax to say the least. Whilst the enforcing authorities do have better things to worry about it still doesn't make it right.

In the absence of proper enforcement then it's up to the individual on how they interpret the rules.:)

In the absence of proper enforcement then it's up to the individual on how they interpret the rules.:)

that's true. so i take it you don't have hid on your own car and won't be changing to hid anytime soon unless the car you buy has it from factory?

that's true. so i take it you don't have hid on your own car and won't be changing to hid anytime soon unless the car you buy has it from factory?

I have no intention of modding or changing the headlights on my currently owned car as where I live it would fail its MOT. I know it's against law as is drink driving, etc and ignorance of the law is not a valid excuse

But I also have use of a company car which does have an orignal fitted HID system complete with the self-levelling system which is fantastic as it adjusts to road and load conditions thus not causing glare to other road users. Plus when you switch the lights on when parked the headlights nod up and down automatically to calibrate the position in relation to the cars suspension - now how cool is that Heh!!:)

thats nice, very nice, my 330 coupe does that too. the lights come full up and then adjust back down. its a nice little trick to show your mates lol

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links