Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Towbar Wiring

Frank Ashworth

Has any one fit a Westfalia specific vehicle wiring kit (part no 335 251 300 107) to a new shape Rav? I have bought one of these kits from Towequipe Limited It says on the box 06 on but reading the instruction leaflet it says for vehicle code **A3*L-A****W mine is vehicle code **A3*R-A****W Looking on the Toyota web site it lists two different kits one for each vehicle code. I rang Towequipe Limited and they tell me it will work OK, any one any comments.

Frank

Has any one fit a Westfalia specific vehicle wiring kit (part no 335 251 300 107) to a new shape Rav? I have bought one of these kits from Towequipe Limited It says on the box 06 on but reading the instruction leaflet it says for vehicle code **A3*L-A****W mine is vehicle code **A3*R-A****W Looking on the Toyota web site it lists two different kits one for each vehicle code. I rang Towequipe Limited and they tell me it will work OK, any one any comments.

Frank

Hi Frank

I think you are OK. That L & R part of the model code only denotes that you have a RHD and not a LHD. If you pm me with your email address I will send you the whole pdf file that shows how to break it down.

I have attached the Toyota instructions for fitting the dedicated loom as it shows you how to get all the bits of trim off and where to route the wires.

12N;

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/aimupload...000%20386-1.pdf

12S;

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/aimupload...000%20387-1.pdf

I hope it is helpful

Frank

Hi Frank

I think you are OK. That L & R part of the model code only denotes that you have a RHD and not a LHD. If you pm me with your email address I will send you the whole pdf file that shows how to break it down.

I have attached the Toyota instructions for fitting the dedicated loom as it shows you how to get all the bits of trim off and where to route the wires.

12N;

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/aimupload...000%20386-1.pdf

12S;

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/aimupload...000%20387-1.pdf

I hope it is helpful

Hi anchorman,

Thank you for your reply the information was really helpful, It had not occurred to me R meant RHD

Thanks again,

Frank

Hello Frank

Are you planning to fit it yourself? I posted something about DIY towbar fitting recently, and got some very kind and helpful replies. We bought the Toyota detachable towbar, which is actually a Brink unit, and embarked on its installation with the Toyota instructions (downloaded from their website) and some trepidation! My husband did all the mechanical stuff and I did the wiring. Apart from breaking a couple of clips that hold plastic interior panel in place, it all went smoothly, we did the job in well under a day and saved ourselves £400.

Now here is the crux: the Toyota instructions start with schematics of the looms on which the various connectors and terminals are identified by letters and numbers. Before I did anything else, I got some masking tape and a marker pen and stuck little flags on all those connectors. If I had not done that, I could never have got it right (bearing in mind that I am pretty clueless about electrics). You are probably much cleverer than I with wiring, but I thought it was worth mentioning all the same.

We also found that the fuse for the exterior lights blew out when we put the headlights on with the caravan plugged in. It was only a 10A unit, which we replaced with a 20A one and then it was fine.

Good luck!

Hello Frank

Are you planning to fit it yourself? I posted something about DIY towbar fitting recently, and got some very kind and helpful replies. We bought the Toyota detachable towbar, which is actually a Brink unit, and embarked on its installation with the Toyota instructions (downloaded from their website) and some trepidation! My husband did all the mechanical stuff and I did the wiring. Apart from breaking a couple of clips that hold plastic interior panel in place, it all went smoothly, we did the job in well under a day and saved ourselves £400.

Now here is the crux: the Toyota instructions start with schematics of the looms on which the various connectors and terminals are identified by letters and numbers. Before I did anything else, I got some masking tape and a marker pen and stuck little flags on all those connectors. If I had not done that, I could never have got it right (bearing in mind that I am pretty clueless about electrics). You are probably much cleverer than I with wiring, but I thought it was worth mentioning all the same.

We also found that the fuse for the exterior lights blew out when we put the headlights on with the caravan plugged in. It was only a 10A unit, which we replaced with a 20A one and then it was fine.

Good luck!

Hi NMaria,

Thanks for the reply and useful information.

I was going to fit the tow bar last weekend but the dreaded rain prevented it. I will try again next Saturday.

The wiring kit i bought is made by Westfalia and comes with comprehensive instructions and hopefully not to difficult to fit.

I will bear in mind your comments about marking the connectors and possible fuse problem.

will let you know how i get on.

Frank

Hi,

I managed to fit my tow bar this weekend It all went really well, the witter detachable tow bar didn't present any problems all the parts fit together well,

just one small problem was removing the sealant to allow the spreader plates to fit flush within the vehicle, it had set like concrete and took some time to remove it.

The Westfalia 12N wiring loom was easy to fit, the quality of the components matched those on the vehicle although Ive only tried it on a trailer board it seems to be working OK.

I assembled the 12S components my self using a prewired socket, voltage sensitive combi relay, an in-line fuse with a length of 27amp feed cable fed direct to the Battery,

utilizing the vehicle harness that starts behind the lower glove box and emerges just behind the n/s headlight, its the one Toyota uses for the same job.

Just managed to break one clip while refitting the interior but fortunately had one of the correct size in stock.

you could say it all went without an Hitch (oh dear!)

Frank :thumbsup:

Great, Frank, glad it all went well. You are obviously MUCH cleverer than I at electrics and actually understood what you were doing...

Happy towing!

Hi Frank...

Did you use a vehicle specific kit or just wire in "std" towbar wiring?

Thanks in advance...

DJ

Hi Frank...

Did you use a vehicle specific kit or just wire in "std" towbar wiring?

Thanks in advance...

DJ

Hi DJ,

yes I used a vehicle specific wiring kit, I bought the kit from Towquipe ltd

http://www.towequipe.co.uk/?gclid=CMbH_MLP240CFQbllAodzwcQag

The quality of the kit is good and comes with all the necessary clips, nuts and bolts etc.

like yourself i have fit many towbars over the years using scotch-locks or soldered connections, but was reluctant to use that method because of the type of wiring used on modern vehicles.

Frank

Hi Frank - thanks for the reply

Are you aware of any reason that the "standard" approach cannot be used on the RAV?

I did read something about there being very thin wiring - but have not disected the car yet to check out the swg of the wires.

I dont expect Toyota to have reached the levels of technology that say BMW have in the 5 series etc so was kinda hoping that I could go as normal!

I guess I will have a look this weekend and see whats there.

DJ

what year rav 4 do you need the wiring help with ?

what year rav 4 do you need the wiring help with ?

Hi

The Rav is a MY2004 XT3 5 door.

All I need to know is if there is any good reason why a "traditional" towbar wiring approach is not sensible on the Rav. I have no problems with doing the job, unless someone has experience wht the vehicle specific wiring approach is the only way to go.

Thanks for the help

DJ

Hi Frank - thanks for the reply

Are you aware of any reason that the "standard" approach cannot be used on the RAV?

I did read something about there being very thin wiring - but have not disected the car yet to check out the swg of the wires.

I dont expect Toyota to have reached the levels of technology that say BMW have in the 5 series etc so was kinda hoping that I could go as normal!

I guess I will have a look this weekend and see whats there.

DJ

Hi DJ,

I read in one of the forum pages that the RAV as multiplex wiring,

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...mp;hl=multiplex

whether the 2004 model as multiplex I don't Know.

I really didn't want to risk damaging my vehicle wiring so for peace of mind i went for the easier option (although more expensive)

Try doing a search on Google for multiplex wiring it might throw a bit more light on the subject.

you could try ringing your local tow bar fitter and asking them what method they use on your model.

sorry i could not me more helpful, best of luck with your project and let us all know how you get on.

Frank

towbar.jpg

Many thanks for that, and it proves that the <2006 model has standard wiring. (I would doubt if they changed to multiplex before the 06 major revision..)

I will get it checked out and report back...

DJ

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links