Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Intercooler

adilmon

I'm planning to install an intercooler on D4d Aygo. If anyone has any experience with intercoolers, you're advice will be greatly appreciated.

I think the easier option is front mounted. I have no idea what donor vehicle I could buy an intercooler for?

Didn't the MR2 mk2 (SW20) have an intercooler???

I think that's a small one, so it might fit...

Didn't know the HDi-engine had a turbo anyway...

Or talk to Dawsey to about how to convert a non-Celica bonnet into a Carlos Sainz / ST205 style one with WTA cooler sat over the engine a la GT4.

Corolla-with-GT4-Intercooler.jpg

Didn't the MR2 mk2 (SW20) have an intercooler???

I think that's a small one, so it might fit...

Didn't know the HDi-engine had a turbo anyway...

I had a look on eBay for the MR2 intercooler. It's probably too small, because turbo petrol engines typically run a lower boost pressure than diesels, to prevent pre-ignition.

I didn't think the HDI had a turbo either, because www.parkers.co.uk review incorrectly said it was normally aspirated. Not even the toyota dealer could confirm it.

I'll have a snoop around for an intercooler at the local scrap yard...

Or talk to Dawsey to about how to convert a non-Celica bonnet into a Carlos Sainz / ST205 style one with WTA cooler sat over the engine a la GT4.

I'm afraid I don't have the expertise to fit a WTA cooler. My limited is probably to fit a water spray to an ATA intercooler. There's simply no room above the engine for a top mounted IC, they really crammed everything into the engine bay.

I had an interesting trip to the scrap yard:

-The Audi intercooler are a good size, but a little too deep for the space beside the radiator.

-The old peugeot 306 and Citroen ZX had a good size IC, but the fitting was specific to that car.

-The IC from a Renault 5 is small and easy to fit, but is probably not up to the job.

-I finally purchased an intercooler from a 1.8 ford diesel for £20. It was originally TMIC so it is very good condition. It is already spray painted black, which should look nice and discreet

The other option was the IC from PSA's 1.6 and 1.8 diesel engines. It is tall and deep, with inlet and outlet on the narrow side. The airconditioning tubing prevents this £140 intercooler installation

I'm going to wait until I recieve SCANGAUGE II before I fit the intercooler. Hopefully, I can compare the effects because it can measure the air intake and manifold pressure & temperatures etc

I got some measurements back from my new toy:

-The diesel Aygo runs a maximum boost pressure of 32 psi (2.2 bar), which is relatively high. Definitely worthy of an intercooler.

-The air intake temp also reached almost 50 degrees celcius before the turbo (sunny day), so i think a cold air feed is needed as well

hm... didnt know they have turbos. Can you please post a pic with turbocharger in it?

This is the only picture I could find on short notice. The turbo is at the front of the vehicle. Only the compressor side is visible. The turbine side has a heat shield over it.

http://arabam.milliyet.com.tr/arabamtest/c...di/motor_xx.jpg

ALSO http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_DLD_engine#DLD-414

how about a fd rx7 standard cooler?

I can't find any pictures of a standard IC on the net. Do you have any?

(I'm on hols until september now)

An intercooler will lower the air temperature of the air going into the engine. I've done a bit of homework

Why: A turbo compresses the air, which raises the intake temperature. Cooler air is denser (carries more oxygen). Cooler air going into the engine will increase the volumetric efficiency (VE) of an engine. This means a greater amount of oxygen enters each cylinder than the less dense warmer air. Typically, decreasing the intake temperature by 40 degrees results in about 15% denser air. Most vehicle manufacturers see fit to install an intercooler if they run a turbo boost pressure of about 1.5 bar. The Aygo's boost pressure is much higher (2.2 bar) and reason dictates that it is worthy of an intercooler. I think they didn't fit one originally because they know pre-ignition is not an issue with direct fuel injection engines. Also, the higher exhaust temperature may assist the particulate filter regeneration, or maybe they were trying to reduce manufacturing cost.

Noticable difference? There are likely to be one or more of the following advantages;

- Increase in MPG as a result of increasing VE

- Increasing BHP if the ECU is fancy enough to detect the increase in oxygen in the cylinder. I think this is very likely because their is a temperature sensor on the piping after the resonator.

- It should also result in a greater volume exhaust gas at a lower temperature, which is beneficial for the hot side of the turbo charger (less heat fatigue)

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links