Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Vermont 52 Plate

JOE30

No problem, but in this section we drive Aygo, not Avensis...

Moved to Appropriate Section.

No idea myself mate, but there are lots of Avensis owners on here that know a lot more than I do !

Good luck.

Rich

Get it to a dealers asap. There's an issue with the engine using excessive oil, they'll do a 1000 mile test to check consumption, then if you've got your full dealers stamp book they should give you a new short block. get it done soon though, there's a 100,000 or 5 year limit on claims. I've just been caught out by it's friend the steering rack failure :crybaby: Mine's too old to get help

This is a well known issue which seems to start at about 40,000 miles if you do a search on oil consumption issue you will see the scale of the problem which in most cases Toyota will sort out after doing a an oil consumption check by the dealers .

As the post above states make sure you keep up the service schedules with the car and don't let the dealer put you off if necessary print off some posts regarding this

The steering racks have also been known to give problems as well make sure any recall work has been done as the racks can cost up to £900

Have had my oil tagged twice in the last 3 months on an 03 Avensis 41000 miles, after some wrangling I have finally been told today that the motor need a complete engine strip and will need to be in for 2 weeks. :angry:

This needs to be approved by the warranty company and i'm waiting for a call back to get a go ahead.

Problem is I'm going away shortly with the family and expect the courtesy car will be tiny :unsure:

Will let you know the outcome.

Many thanks to you all. :thumbsup:

I checked the oil before I went to my parents farm in Devon. this was well up between the markings and so didn't take any action. I had to take my car to a dealers in Barnstaple as the horn kept intermittently going off whilst we were driving. :censor:

When the dealer rang he said it was a airbag fault and was shorting the horn. £52.00 lighter he mentioned that the oil was very low which was suprising after only doing 234 miles door to door. He said take it to my local dealer to get it checked, he mentioned that this could mean a new engine :censor:

I will let you know the out come cheers fella's

Many thanks to you all. :thumbsup:

I checked the oil before I went to my parents farm in Devon. this was well up between the markings and so didn't take any action. I had to take my car to a dealers in Barnstaple as the horn kept intermittently going off whilst we were driving. :censor:

When the dealer rang he said it was a airbag fault and was shorting the horn. £52.00 lighter he mentioned that the oil was very low which was suprising after only doing 234 miles door to door. He said take it to my local dealer to get it checked, he mentioned that this could mean a new engine :censor:

I will let you know the out come cheers fella's

Sounds like he's right.

I contacted Mr T late this afternoon. They have approved a new engine under my extended warranty. Will need to have the car for a week and will supply me with a courtesy car. Booked in for 20/8/07. Will let you know how it goes.

Don't know if I should be happy or cheesed off really. A new engine :unsure: not sure what to make of that. Oh well at least i didn't have to quibble about it.

Cheers :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

I had a new warranty engine at 73,000 because i had full service history from the previose owner.

Now the gearbox is making noises and i am going to pay £600 for a rebuild.

Also the alternator drivebelt tensioner (damper) is making a noise so it needs this too...£119 cost price........any feedback on this issue would be appreciated.........is it possible to get-round fitting a new unit?

Car now at 83,000 mls

• 2 months later...

I've got an Avensis Vermont 52 plate (45000 miles) . I wrote a nice letter to Toyota Customer Support. They called me back a couple of weeks later. They said that my engine (1.8 VVTi) had been identified as a problem and that the engine warranty had been extended by Toyota. I have up-to-date service warranty on the vehicle although not always with Toyota.

I am now on the first step, the engine has been checked for leaks, the oil has been topped up (free of charge) and duly measured. They even cleaned the car free of charge! I now have to do 1000 miles and then have the oil checked again. If i have used a litre of oil in 1000 miles then I qualify for a new 1/2 engine. I am sure I am using around a litre. Based on 12000 miles a year that's 12 litres of Magnatec a year (around £75 a year just on top ups!). I have never had to top up oil on an earlier avensis or on my Carina, in fact I was concerned at one stage that Toyota's never used oil! If the oil level in the meantime has dropped low before the 1000 miles I have to take the car straight to the Toyota garage.

BUT my question is this. The oil is obviously being burned but there isn't any tell tale blue smoke from the exhaust. I assume that's because of the 'Cat'. Now if the 'Cat' is now slowly clogging due to the engine fault, am I entitled to a new 'Cat'?

I will keep you informed over the next month or so how i get on!

• 1 month later...

After my 1000 miles test, the local Toyota garage re-checked my oil level. I had lost between 1 and 1.5 litres!

Now booked in for Feb for replacement 1/2 lower engine under warranty plus curteousy car.

I have asked about a new 'CAT' as the oil may have clogged the CAT thus reducing power and petrol consumption. Toyota will check the CAT and advise if any additional damage has been done beyond normal use.

More updates to follow.

Hi has anyone had simalar problems with theirs :crybaby:

hi mate

i feel we're in the same boat with this issue.

normaly i use and rebuilding additive each oil change and have in fact reached a success.

before an additive applying the engine has been drinking 10 ltr (5w30)/10k and i was in shock what to do.

and after one time of adding into the sump i have experienced the engine drinks 7.0 ltr/10k (!!!) -- i presume it is not bad for the fiirst trial.

i'm going to apply it secondly in this month during service at dealer's garage. i expect consumption reducing more up to 5-6 ltr/10k (i hope so).

mine car is not covered under warranty - so i can find another solution how to fight with this problem.

but in case yours is still covered then go ahead and change the cylinder block and do not lose the time otherwise your pocket will be empty soon.

cheers/igor

Hi Igor

You don't say how old your Avensis is? Or how many mles/kilometers? From what I am told Toyota extended the vehicle warranty to cars up to seven years old. These oil problems appear around 40000 miles (63k).

Maybe your toyota dealer can help. I have also been told to use Magantec oil which is best suited to my engine (sorry can't remember what grade).

I also want Toyota to replace the catalytic convertor as this may have been clogged as well from burning the oil.

Hi Igor

You don't say how old your Avensis is? Or how many mles/kilometers? From what I am told Toyota extended the vehicle warranty to cars up to seven years old. These oil problems appear around 40000 miles (63k).

Maybe your toyota dealer can help. I have also been told to use Magantec oil which is best suited to my engine (sorry can't remember what grade).

I also want Toyota to replace the catalytic convertor as this may have been clogged as well from burning the oil.

hi Mark

Look - mine is of 2003 and now the clock shows 95.5k that is self explained.

i faced to oil problem starting from 75k and i presume that it was the main reason why the previous owner has sold it.

I am in close contact to official dealer and they try to help me. both me and they understand that i hav not warranty.

i have changed cat convertor at 75k. Mark - look i have really reduced an oil consumption. I have asked MrT to give me this additive description + phormula to distribute to all skick owners

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya All,

Also have a poorly Avensis, was ok up until June last year since when she has done about 6k miles and used around 8 litres of oil! Used to do about 10K in a year and took about 1 litre of oil to top her up during that period.

Having seen the posts here I contact local dealer this morning. They said there was a five year limit on the extended warranty on this issue.

Phone Mr. T. spoke to Mrs T. in customer relationshion. She explained that they could not tell which vehicles were effected by this problem as it appears random, she also said that the warranty was now for SEVEN years or 112500 miles. She clearly knew what she was talking about explaining about the oil top up test and saying that if it failed this test a short engine would be fitted under the warranty. Explained that the dealer thought it was only a five year warranty to which she replied, "well perhaps they have not had to deal with this situation recently".

Will now follow up with the dealer, they are asking that we top the vehicle up to max, take in as much paperwork as possible, they will check oil and log mileage, they will then contact Toyota in advance with the details and the outcome will depend on the results of the test drive. They are asking that we do about 1k mileage or return earlier if the oil drops to the minimum level.

So to answer the original question here, yes the seven year warranty is correct if customer service have it right, and why should we believe otherwise!.

Chris

I am advised that engine model 1AA (1999? to 2002 models) is one particular engine block with the oil problems. I am not sure if it affects other engines. i have read before that the Avensis 1.8 and possibly the Corolla engines may have this problem. Sorry I can't be more accurate.

My lower engine is to be replaced next week free of charge and I also get supplied with a courtesy car. I am also trying to get the CAT replaced as well as I am sure the oil problem has clogged this as well.

• 2 weeks later...

New 'short' engine has been fitted now. Engine does appear slightly quieter. Got to back in 1000 miles for a check for any loosening and oil leaks.

CAT has been checked and sensors checked and cleaned. New plugs fitted along with new oil filter and oil and all under the extended warranty!

Fingers crossed all is well now.

Thank you 'Mr Toyota' and the service staff at Sims Toyota in Northampton.

Hi has anyone had simalar problems with theirs :crybaby:

hi fellow-sufferer

i've had the same one and fight with it during a year.

i've reached some success having used a Roil additive in oil.

The last oil consumption was 10 (!) ltr/10k (km) but after the first treatment it has dropped up to 7 ltr/10k. i think it is good trial.

i've just treated the engine twice and hope to reduce it up to 5 ltr.

The engine problem is well known for all the World. It is connected with the piston cooling lack.

cheers / igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links