Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ipod Interface

anchorman

I got fed up with the old itrip crackling and fizzing so I have bought a proper Toyota interface. My dealer is RRG Macclesfield and they have done it for £150 less 10% plus VAT (about £160) so I am once again very pleased with them.

It allows you to control the ipod through the head unit and steering wheel controls and displays the information on the radio.

I will let you know how it performs when I have fitted it.

cheers

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anchorman

• dave.m

• Fujisan

• chatman

I got fed up with the old itrip crackling and fizzing so I have bought a proper Toyota interface. My dealer is RRG Macclesfield and they have done it for £150 less 10% plus VAT (about £160) so I am once again very pleased with them.

It allows you to control the ipod through the head unit and steering wheel controls and displays the information on the radio.

cheers

I got a quote from my dealer in Dundee last week (I tend to get quotes for these things - also got one to add the new phone bluetooth kit - when I'm waiting during a service). Will be interested in how you like it as I'm tempted; it's not urgent, though, as the 6-CD changer playing mp3's means I've got around 60 CDs already loaded!

cheers

Just hope they priced the required wiring kit

Accessory

Part Number Description

PZ473-00261-A0 iPod integration (main part) £143.57 1.00 hrs to fit

Fitting Kits Required

Part Number Description

PZ473-00210-06 wiring 4 multi accessory fit £37.56 0.00 hrs 0.00 hrs

Additional Parts Required

Part Number Description

PZ420-00261-ME Owner's Manual £6.43

Might be worth checking. Kingo :thumbsup:

63217800_o.jpg

Cheers Kingo

He did tell me that it needed a dedicated loom which was ordered but the instruction manual is on the website so I told him not to bother with that. However, I understood the £180 included VAT but it sounds like I am wrong. In that case it will be about £192 with the discount. I am going this after' so I will find out and report back.

How much is the bluetooth kit that Steve is quoting?

Steve

Mordern technology makes me lazy. I have got various discs but my Mrs has got tons of songs on her 8Gb nano so it will be easier than shuffling through discs. I will keep you informed.

Cheers

bluetooth kit:

Accessory

Part Number Description

PZ409-00293-A0 bluetooth SWC £201.47 1.00 hrs fitting to be added

Part Number Description

PZ420-00291-EN bluetooth owner's manual £6.43 0.00

Cheers Kingo :thumbsup:

Blimey that was quick Kingo.

It's a bit on the steep side but I would definitely get one if I was doing high mileage. If it had been perhaps up to £100 I might have got one but I'll give my tom tom bluetooth a try.

Thanks anyway. Is this something that you intend offering as a service? If so what kind of discount and what would postage be?

Cheers

All TOC members who register on our website will get a discount ranging from 10-15% on average, PLUS, special offers on items NOT available to other dealers. Watch this space. Carriage normally about a tenner.I am currently re-negotiating my carriage terms with Parcelforce which have TRIPLED!!! I need a cheap courier service. Anybody out there??? Kingo :thumbsup:

All TOC members who register on our website will get a discount ranging from 10-15% on average, PLUS, special offers on items NOT available to other dealers. Watch this space. Carriage normally about a tenner.I am currently re-negotiating my carriage terms with Parcelforce which have TRIPLED!!! I need a cheap courier service. Anybody out there??? Kingo :thumbsup:

I am relatively new to the forum so do not have the history but are you a newcomer to the site yourself? If so, you are proving to be a massive asset on a "Anchorman" scale.

Don't suppose you wish to expose your identity too much but am I right in guessing you are based by the "Monarch's river Crossing?" Blue Bridge. If so you are going to get my custom! :beer:

I am relatively new to the forum so do not have the history but are you a newcomer to the site yourself? If so, you are proving to be a massive asset on a "Anchorman" scale.

Don't suppose you wish to expose your identity too much but am I right in guessing you are based by the "Monarch's river Crossing?" Blue Bridge. If so you are going to get my custom! :beer:

Sorry Kingo saw the LB sign after I asked the question.

I have no sectrets Jock1, you are very correct, we are the very same dealer. I have been on here a while but only just become an authorised trader, so you will be seeing a lot more of us sooooon. Kingo :thumbsup:

Jock

That was a very nice thing to say - thankyou.

;)

cheers

Just hope they priced the required wiring kit

Accessory

Part Number Description

PZ473-00261-A0 iPod integration (main part) £143.57 1.00 hrs to fit

Fitting Kits Required

Part Number Description

PZ473-00210-06 wiring 4 multi accessory fit £37.56 0.00 hrs 0.00 hrs

Part Number Description

PZ420-00261-ME Owner's Manual £6.43

Might be worth checking. Kingo :thumbsup:

63217800_o.jpg

Kingo

The prices have come out as follows....

TPZ473-00261-AO 122.19 less 10% = 109.97 + VAT = £129

TPZ473-00210-06 33.97 less 10% = 28.77 + VAT = £ 34

Total £163

Did yours include VAT?

I have no sectrets Jock1, you are very correct, we are the very same dealer. I have been on here a while but only just become an authorised trader, so you will be seeing a lot more of us sooooon. Kingo :thumbsup:

Excuse me for being thick.But what does authorised trader mean? Does it mean Authorised trader in relation to this forum or Queensferry? Have just signed up for your website.Very professional!

Anchorman no problem.when people contribute to the extent that you do some recognition is very deserved.

I fitted the ipod interface today so am now able to report on it.

The fitting instructions in full are here;

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/aimupload...%20000881-0.pdf

The user guide is here;

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/aimupload...000%20113-0.pdf

However, I have taken a few photos to help illustrate the process.

First disconnect the battery;

disconnectbattery.jpg

Then remove the glove box by releasing the damper;

damper.jpg

and squeezing the stops to allow the glove box to drop down;

stops.jpg

Allow the glove box to drop roughly level then just pull it to remove.

Next carfully prize off the bottom of the radio bezel to remove it and press the clip on the plugs to remove the wires from the hazard warning and diff lock switches;

radiotrim.jpg

Remove the 4 bolts that are holding the radio in and pull the radio forward. Remove the plugs and aerial from the back and remove the radio.

radio.jpg

Install the interface and loom. The instructions show that you place the interface behind the centre console forward trim. You remove it by pulling it out into the footwell as shown and then withdraw it back towards the seat;

kickpanel.jpg

However, because of the soundproofing and trim I couldn't easily locate it there so I placed it up above the glovebox as shown. Use the supplied adhesive pad but use a tie wrap to secure it;

interface.jpg

Re-fit the radio and plug in all the connectors and aerial. The ipod interface loom also plugs in and it only fits in one socket so you cant go wrong. There is an additional female socket on the loom that is not used. You need to just tape it up with some of the adhesive pad supplied.

Next, use a 30mm drill to make a hole in the bottom of the upper cubby hole. I used a sharp forstner woodworking bit but any hole saw will do. The instructions show that you centre the hole 25mm from the back and the side of the cubby hole base but due to the support bracket it is not possible. I drilled in this location and it works OK;

grommet.jpg

Make a good job of clipping the wires up. Insert the grommet as shown and the ipod connects as shown. With the Battery lead re-connected turn the radio on and press the "disc" button twice to activate the external CD plug to which the ipod is connected. The ipod will show the Toyota logo and is then isolated as all functions are controlled from the radio head unit;

ipod.jpg

How good is it? The reproduction is crystal clear and the tone and stereo separation is excellent. You can play each playlist and each track within the playlist. The track info is shown on the radio but you cannot search via artist, title or album name, the tracks are played alphabetically or randomly;

headunit.jpg

It took no longer than an hour and that was including taking these photos.

I think it is a good £160 worth.

Cheers

Anchorman, nice installation ;) couple of questions-

Is the kit unique to the 4.3 stereo, or will it also do the 4.2 ?

Will any I Pod be suitable, I have a 60G I Pod video, some accessories

are not compatible ?

Thanks,

Dave.

Anchorman, nice installation ;) couple of questions-

Is the kit unique to the 4.3 stereo, or will it also do the 4.2 ?

Will any I Pod be suitable, I have a 60G I Pod video, some accessories

are not compatible ?

Thanks,

Dave.

Dave

There are no fitting instructions shown on the publications website for a 4.2 but I believe it may still be possible. They seem to be adding instructions and adaptor leads for the current range so presumably they will step back to preceding models soon. It all depends if the adaptor lead is available and if the head unit will respond to the interface and we need Kingo to comment on this.

The ipods listed as compatible are Generations 4 and 5, photo, nano and mini. I think as long as the plug fits you are OK because most of the ipods will sit on and interface with these speaker docking stations.

Kingo. Your comments please.

Cheers

headunit.jpg

I'm intrigued on what track is shown - Cecilia? Not Ms Bartoli by any chance?

headunit.jpg

I'm intrigued on what track is shown - Cecilia? Not Ms Bartoli by any chance?

Steve

I'm afraid my wifes and my culture extends to Suggs (madness)!

Cheers

Anchorman

Well done mate :toast: Excellent work :yahoo:

That is a super piece of photo-journalism :thumbsup: Much much better than you get in any off the shelf workshop manual.

And too have the foresight and bottle to photograph your progress though the job is amazing :thumbsup:

Definately One Step Beyond! :thumbsup:

Anchorman

Well done mate :toast: Excellent work :yahoo:

That is a super piece of photo-journalism :thumbsup: Much much better than you get in any off the shelf workshop manual.

And too have the foresight and bottle to photograph your progress though the job is amazing :thumbsup:

Definately One Step Beyond! :thumbsup:

Agreed :clap: now where did I put my wallet and tool kit

I was thinking of doing a series of simple jobs that most can do to save money;

Fit 90deg rear check strap

Adjust hand brake (admit it yours comes a long way up already!!!)

Change cabin filter

Change air filter

Change engine oil and filter

Fit horns

Fit new pads

These are some that come up regularly but I can do requests as long as nobody wants to change pistons!!! There may also be a wait until something wants doing on my car as I have just changed the oil.

I can post them by title so the can be easily searched.

Is it worth it or a waste of time?

Regards

PS Fuj' - your trains look a bit dated to mine! I am playing 1:1 scale trains this afternoon.

Axon273.jpg

Anchorman,

A great idea, would it be any use including a common phrase in every post titile, say "4.3 MAINTENANCE:", so that a search for "4.3 MAINTENANCE:" would bring up a list of all the RAV 4.3 "howtos" available? Or is there something smarter that the forum can do already?

What did you think of the oil change? I'm probably a bit stupid in that I change oil every 5k miles. I dislike diesels running in oil for 10k miles. Probably completely unnecessary in a modern diesel and an unnecessary expense, but it makes me feel better.

I changed the oil about a month ago and almost enjoyed doing it! The easiest filter I've ever changed, but then I did get hold of the filter cup wrench thingy, which probably is most of the battle. I'm too young :baby: to have ever owned a car with just a disposable filter element before (i.e. no disposable can). Can just about remember my Dad having one (Ford Anglia?). It's for environmental reasons I expect, funny how things go full circle. I like the little drain tube supplied to drain the filter element too!

As for the handbrake, yes the travel is far too long, but the correct adjustment is 7 to 9 clicks I believe, so I have left mine alone for now.

I'd also be willing to photo document any mods I might do in the future.

Cheers

I was thinking of doing a series of simple jobs that most can do to save money;

Fit 90deg rear check strap

Adjust hand brake (admit it yours comes a long way up already!!!)

Change cabin filter

Change air filter

Change engine oil and filter

Fit horns

Fit new pads

These are some that come up regularly but I can do requests as long as nobody wants to change pistons!!! There may also be a wait until something wants doing on my car as I have just changed the oil.

I can post them by title so the can be easily searched.

Is it worth it or a waste of time?

Regards

Anchorman,

Good call, as its something all members could use maybe moderator would allow it to pinned to top

of forum. If not then maybe a shortcut at least, worth asking ? ;)

Dave.

A wonderful idea Anchorman! :thumbsup:

The checkstrap especially interest's me.

I will have to see if I can find a picture of the latest Hitichi (think 395 maybe) Shinkansen trains, that have just landed at Southampton to start trails, before entering service on the high speed rail link to the Channel Tunnel in 2009. Will they do?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links