Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

90mpg Aygo

adilmon

I own a diesel aygo & it took me 2hrs to get home on Sunday, because I was driving like a milk float (avg 60mph, at 1900 rpm). The journey was from bournemouth to gatwick, which is about 95 miles. I calibrated the scangauge II and averaged 90.4 mpg!!!!! :) (That's 3.02litres/100km) I was very very pleasantly surprised. I've read on the net that the Aygo did this before, but I didn't believe it because I was suspicious that the car was somehow modified, in order to get the 90mpg for the good publicity.

http://www.carpages.co.uk/toyota/toyota-aygo-03-05-06.asp

The outward journey averaged 68.3 mpg (probably going faster than I should have been on the M27). It's not easy driving economically and takes just as much attention as driving normally. I also discovered that more fuel is used if you are coasting in neutral, rather than leaving it in gear.

Three cheers for diesel ! :D

"I also discovered that more fuel is used if you are coasting in neutral, rather than leaving it in gear."

That's modern electronics for you. On overrun no fuel is supplied to the engine. I had a Touran on holiday with fuel usage computer. On overrun it read 0, but in neutral it read 4.5 l/100km.

The scan gauge shows engine load reading taken directly from the engine's ECU. When idling the Load reads 13%, but zero when in gear & down a slight incline.

Accelerating uphill is a killer for decent mpg. It's more efficient to reach 75mph and then let the incline gently slow the vehicle down to 60mph

If you want to calculate your avg mpg the old fashioned way:

-fill the tank unit the click of the pump automatically shuts off

-reset your car's trip meter to zero

-next time you fill up, fill up in the same manner (try to use the same pump) and note how many litres used

-[number of miles on trip meter] divided by [litres used since last fill up] multiplied by [4.546] = mpg

If you want to calculate your avg mpg the old fashioned way:

-fill the tank unit the click of the pump automatically shuts off

-reset your car's trip meter to zero

-next time you fill up, fill up in the same manner (try to use the same pump) and note how many litres used

-[number of miles on trip meter] divided by [litres used since last fill up] multiplied by [4.546] = mpg

Or, if you go to evilution.co.uk, select from the non modifications list, facts and figures, and enter your data and it works it all out for you there!

So - apologies, but it's not 100% clear to me - does the car consume more fuel when it's in neutral than actually putting it in gear and letting it go (for instance when downhill or when deccelerating by its own)?

So - apologies, but it's not 100% clear to me - does the car consume more fuel when it's in neutral than actually putting it in gear and letting it go (for instance when downhill or when deccelerating by its own)?

yes, because the engine detects no load on the engine and the revs are suitabley high.

In my case, the load rating on the engine in neutral is 13-16%. The load rating WHEN CRUISING at 60mph and 2000rpm is between 5-10%

There is a cut-off point where it would use less fuel to put it into neutral, if the road conditions mean that revs increase & engine braking effect begins to be noticeable: On parts of my eco-journey, there were some very steep (13 degrees) sections, where I put the car into neutral (from 4th), let it accelarate and then placed it into 5th gear. My engine braking becomes noticeable at about 2500rpm

For TOWN DRIVING, coasting in neutral works out to be more efficient because of the gearing and the low momentum makes engine braking more apparent.

• 2 weeks later...

I went from Gatwick to Bournemouth again this weekend. I wasn't out to drive particularly economically doing about 60-70 mph. The result was 88mpg :D

Is that from the start of the journey to the finish or what you were cruising along at while on the motorway? Either way that's absolutely incredible

Is that from the start of the journey to the finish or what you were cruising along at while on the motorway? Either way that's absolutely incredible

Yes, from start to finish including a few A roads: A29, A27, M27, A31

I'm very pleased that my car gets the same mpg as my scooter (!)

That is very good, for both forms of transport !

I wish my scooter was as economical, but is nearly 30 years old, a classic Lambretta B)

• 2 weeks later...
I own a diesel aygo & it took me 2hrs to get home on Sunday, because I was driving like a milk float (avg 60mph, at 1900 rpm). The journey was from bournemouth to gatwick, which is about 95 miles. I calibrated the scangauge II and averaged 90.4 mpg!!!!! :) (That's 3.02litres/100km) I was very very pleasantly surprised. I've read on the net that the Aygo did this before, but I didn't believe it because I was suspicious that the car was somehow modified, in order to get the 90mpg for the good publicity.

http://www.carpages.co.uk/toyota/toyota-aygo-03-05-06.asp

The outward journey averaged 68.3 mpg (probably going faster than I should have been on the M27). It's not easy driving economically and takes just as much attention as driving normally. I also discovered that more fuel is used if you are coasting in neutral, rather than leaving it in gear.

Three cheers for diesel ! :D

I know where you are coming from saying takes as much attention to drive slower, I am a training adi and have to go along the A13 AT THE 40MPH LIMIT, WHERE IT HAS 3 LANES AND VEHICLES TRAVEL AT AROUND 60! It gets !Removed! dangerous as they dont realise how quickly they approach you and always cut you up and tailgate you, etc! It gets really hard to change lanes safely too. :angry:

Since the fuel prices went up, I thought I'd try the cheapo supermarket diesel...

Did another run down to Bournemouth (friends fancy dress do) and the MPG went right down to 73 mpg! Also, the engine becomes noiser and less responsive. Never again. I'm going back to BP ultimate asap

• 2 weeks later...
Averaged 72mpg on my last tank of fuel

Cheapo supermarket diesel knocks the average down to 61mpg. Thats about £2 saved on filling up and £5 lost on mileage. Definite false economy

• 2 months later...
Averaged 72mpg on my last tank of fuel

Cheapo supermarket diesel knocks the average down to 61mpg. Thats about £2 saved on filling up and £5 lost on mileage. Definite false economy

I drove down to Bournemouth again for a new year’s party. This time I used Shell V-power diesel, instead of BP ultimate. V-power is definitely not as useless as supermarket diesel, but not as responsive as BP's finest when trying to get up to motorways speeds.

Shell V-power gave 78 mpg average

BP Ultimate still in the lead with 90mpg average

I work for BP (no I don't get discount on fuel before anyone asks) and I've always promoted the use of the BP Ultimate fuel but never actually used it myself (totally contradicts what I say to customers) until a few weeks ago where I accidently used the wrong Unleaded and I seen a huge difference the the MPG than the normal fuel does.

I have heard that the Ultimate works far better on some cars than others (not sure why).

"Bp Ulimate make the MPG bettter in a full tank than in ordinary fuel. It also cleans the tank as it works making the fuel tank work better and to the highest of its capability" - what ave been told to say :D

The Aygo petrol engine will probably benefit most from Iridium spark plugs, before trying better quality fuels…. The flame kernel will spread more evenly, and requires less power to generate the spark. The spark plug also lasts a lot longer

With the diesel, I think it simply burns more efficiently: Because the Cetane number of the fuel is so critical for reducing ignition lag. The aygo uses up to 6 or 8 pre-post and main injections to reduce ignition lag among other things. Although the injectors are controlled by the ECU, the ignition lag of the fuel also affects the ignition timing.

The minimum Cetane for Europe is 49, BP’s fuel is usually 51 (which I think is the minimum for the UK), but guarantees a minimum of 55 for BP ultimate. Shell V-power uses a chemical called GTL, which appears to be the reason I can’t find a Cetane number for it

My Aygo was happily floating along at 90mph through Germany this week. :D

• 1 month later...
My Aygo was happily floating along at 90mph through Germany this week. :D

Nice!

90mph or 90 mpg?

Just discovered that accelarating slowly up to cruising speed is not as effective in a turbo diesel compared to petrol: The only way to get the turbo into action going at low RPM is to put you foot down and to increase the exhaust gases, or else it's like driving without a turbo charger

• 8 months later...

Just made another long run in the Aygo. Went from Gatwick to Birmingham and back. Had 2 passengers and loads of luggage. Not concentrating on eco-driving gave me an average of 73mpg. More than happy with that :)

The only problem with any normal diesel is that they sound boring. I'd rather have 60mpg and stay awake whilst travelling :P

Regards

Andy

Achieved an 85.3 MPG (Average) in my Yaris yesterday :thumbsup: (1.0 litre 3 pot petrol..............same engine as the Aygo)

Best i can get driving like an old lady (no offence to old ladies!) and i CAN NOT get my petrol Aygo over 57MPG. To begin with it annoyed me, but now i dont care, normally average 46ish over a very hilly Yorkshire route to work and back, and i dont drive with economy in mind.

Regards V-Power/Optimax etc..... I am a member of the Hyundai owners club and in thier forum, A guy who works for Tesco's Petorl division, said that thier "super" unleaded comes from the same processing plant as Optimax (I think) no matter where you buy it in the UK, so its always the same and of the same quality.

I used to get about 36MPG on Tesco super on my old F2 evo, or 29 on standard Total Unleaded, so it definatley makes a difference in some cars. I also remeber reading an article in autocar a few years ago where they put various cars on a rolling road with Normal fuel and then optimax to see the difference, and i sure the average increase was about 5% extra BHP and some extra torque, but it depends on how your cars ECU deals with the different fuel/air mix.

The Aygo definatley runs smoother on super, but i cant notice any extra power.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links