Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Front Tyres

weevicky

I just got new tyres on my motor as the front left was basically bald.

Was wondering if anyone else has the problem of the left ones being bald before the right one.

I’ve just recently hit 10,000 miles so I’m guessing that to do that amount of mileage is good on them tyres

Mine were gone after 5500 miles

Your supposed to change front to backs every 6 months. No one told me that

nor me ... maybe the tyres have been changed then ? they dont look bald or owt :wacko:

i just had two new fronts again 2 nd time now car is 1 year 6 months old. Last time i did all four to michilin energy 165 65 r14 and this time same tyres.

Was wondering if anyone else has the problem of the left ones being bald before the right one.

I’ve just recently hit 10,000 miles so I’m guessing that to do that amount of mileage is good on them tyres

The front left wears the most on uk roads because it does the most work. It's not easy to drive around avoiding roundabouts. The right rear tyre should be in the best shape. If your tyres are bald by 10k miles i would make a point of checking your tyre pressures more often.

I recommend conti-Eco-contact-3 155/65 r14 FR. They appear to last longer than the michelins

I've done 11k on the stock tyres and all are fine. If you are getting a lot of wear on just one tyre it could be that the pressure is wrong (slow puncture maybe) or on the front axle it could be that the alignment is out.

If you bump a kerb (front left?) or hit a pothole then that could push the tracking out so that the wheel isn't pointing as true as it should be, leading to uneven wear.

You can easily get this checked at a garage.

I don't really see any point in swapping the front and back tyres. Some people like to do it, but you might as well just replace the fronts when they wear down.

Paul.

10,000 miles on a light city car is terrible and I'd be concerned as to why they have only lasted this amount of time. I would expect between 20,000 and 30,000, unless the car is either driven very hard or there is a problem with the pressures, alignment etc. Ours has done 4,000 miles and still 7mm remaining.

Wear indicator on the Continentals fitted to ours is 240, same as were fitted to my last Audi A3, which weighs twice as much and has twice as much power, yet they still did 23,000 before I changed them with 2.5mm remaining.

Agree with above, rears (driven wheels) on my MR2 lasted 20,000.

Either pressure or tracking is having a serious effect.

The driven wheels tyres always wear out faster but 10,000 is harsh. You been doing burnouts? ;)

If you're interested in handling shop around, I use black circles and choose my tyres for best grip in wet and dry regardless of economy, which is no good when you're in a ditch. Usually comes out as toyo depending on sizes, I put some on my Audi and it was like getting a new car! Transformed the handling, grip and steering response.

I always think of the tyres as THE single most important part of the car.

Mine have done 9500 miles (except the front left, got a puncture after about 3K :( ) and the tread's sound on all of them.

I always check the pressures at least once a month and after it's 12 month service the local dealer gave everything a green light on that wee check-sheet they give you.

The front left wears the most on uk roads because it does the most work. It's not easy to drive around avoiding roundabouts. The right rear tyre should be in the best shape. If your tyres are bald by 10k miles i would make a point of checking your tyre pressures more often.

I recommend conti-Eco-contact-3 155/65 r14 FR. They appear to last longer than the michelins

There the worst tyres ever! There the ones I had that disintegrated in 6 months

I switched to Toyo Proxes and have found Firestones to be good value for money

There the worst tyres ever! There the ones I had that disintegrated in 6 months

I switched to Toyo Proxes and have found Firestones to be good value for money

What size Toyo Proxes do you use?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links