Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Maintenance/improvements - 4.3

anchorman

Difficulty - Medium

Time - about 90 minutes

Tools required - Trim tool (example here) http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/Product...ProductID=26229 or similar lever. Phillips screwdriver, 10 and 14mm sockets and drivers. Drill and jig saw or similar cutting tool.

Introduction

The boot light is attached to the rear door which is not much good when the door is open. I got an additional light from a scrap yard and wired it in to come on with the existing switch so that it comes on automatically when the door is opened.

Procedure

First obtain a suitable light. I got this one from a scrap yard but the supplier could not be sure which kind of car it came from however it does say GM on it so it could be a Vectra or similar. In obtaining a light try to get one that has simple male spade terminals and it is probably best to avoid having a switched one but not essential. This probably came from a boot, glovebox or sunvisor so you can have a look around complete cars to find something suitable. If the wires to it have a unique plug, try to get the plug and about 75mm of wire to ease fitting. Here I am measuring the light to see what size hole I need to cut in the panel;

IMG_1205.jpg

There is a limit of how many photos can be attached to a post so follow the instructions in this pdf file to show how to get the rear quarter panel off. You will need to follow items 1,2 and 3 on page 8. Then items 6,7 and 8 on page 10 then the instructions on page 10 if you are going to do just the drivers side or both page 10 and 11 if you want to do the passenger side or both sides.

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/aimupload...000%20386-1.pdf

It doesn't matter which side you put the light in, I did the drivers side but you could do the other or better still both if you can find 2 matching lights.

When you have the panel off it will look like this;

IMG_1199.jpg

Look at the panel and find a location that is fairly high up but will not foul anything at the back. I chose a location just forward of the top of the removable panel. Mark the position of the light;

IMG_1206.jpg

Cut out a piece of card the same size as the opening determined earlier. If anything make the opening on the small side and you can always open it up later if the light is tight. Centre the card on the marked position and then draw around it;

IMG_1209.jpg

Drill a hole then cut the aperture for the light. Don't have it too tight - keep making adjustments until just right.

IMG_1210.jpg

Now look inside the door frame on the hinge side where the rubber umbilical trunking carries the wires from the door. There are 2 plugs. You are working with the lower one and here I have disconnected it to show which wires you need to splice into;

IMG_1201.jpg

The wires are the ones nearest the camera marked in red. Peel back some of the protective sheath and run a length of twin core wire that is long enough to run to the chosen location. I don't like scotch locks in anything other than an entirely weather free location so I have used them here to splice into the two marked wires. Attach male spade terminals to the other end or the piece of wire attached to the plug if you got one with the light. Now is a good time to re-attach the Battery earth lead and just test the light;

IMG_1203.jpg

Although I haven't got a second light I took this opportunity to run two looped in wires to the other side of the boot so that fitting a second one will only need me to take one panel off;

IMG_1204.jpg

Now you can refit all of the panels by reversing the instructions in the pdf file. Be sure to very securely clip up all of the wires and insulate any connections. Finally attach the wires to the light and pop the light into the panel;

IMG_1212-1.jpg

• 2 years later...

It may just be my engineering background, but I find its allways the simple ideas that are most effective. Having said that, I would never

have thought about putting extra boot lights on those little fold down flaps for dog barrier like this guy on Rav4 World has. Brilliant :thumbsup:

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24657

well done Anchorman

you're look as an auto surgeon :thumbsup:

but i used to apply a small flash light -- what data of the bulb in this light fixture?

cheers/Igor

Fantastic Anchorman. :thumbsup:

I'm tempted to have a go, but am afraid I'll make a hash of it, and ruin the panels/tim.

What a difference it has made to my T180 boot area as the back door light is no use lighting up the boot - very well worth getting it done.

I sugest anyone doing it looks for suitable lights with spade fittings or they come with a plug - mine had to have the wires soldered onto the connections which was a bit fiddly to say the least.

Guy

Can also add mine is a great success. I'd add a link to the thread I started recently but playing with lights one thing, computer links are a whole new ballgame :lol:

The light I bought was an led panel type, nice and bright and only about £7 ish from a shop on eBay. Only drilled one small hole in the side panel to put through the wire and connected with scothlocks to the feed to the rear light behind the removeable panel in the (right side) boot area.

• 3 weeks later...

We've just bought a 2007 XTR and this week I'm fitting a towbar with a dedicated electrical fitting kit.

I've had a good look at your photos as the suppliers told me that with the correct

wiring set-up you only had to plug it into a 'couple of sockets' found behind the trim

on the driver's side of the boot area. I was hoping to spot these sockets but can't see anything obvious

from the pics. Are they there?

Aaagh!, I've just realised you also included a full set of instructions for fitting towbar electrics.

Brilliant, thanks,

Jon

• 1 year later...

YEAAAAH, THANKS A LOT ANCHORMAN!!!!

i have done it last saturday. the second one is without light bulb yet, but today i will buy one. I have added the LEDs, because they need less current. and they are brighter and looks COOOL :rolleyes:

here are the pictures My fitting of the Boot Light

i love this forum!

please more tips :toast:

Nice work.

Twin horns are a good addition if you want another project. :thumbsup:

Nice work.

Twin horns are a good addition if you want another project. :thumbsup:

nooo, i am not using horns at all. maybe later. i have bought a B9004 unit (used) so i will try to fit it in (no cables available).

i am thinking also about adding a light to the lower glove box, as it is describen in german jummy forum.

the biggest deal will be the skid plate under the engine and under the rear diff.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Unterfahrschutz-Toyota-RAV-4-XA3-/220594587584?pt=Autoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item335c7647c0

http://cgi.ebay.de/Unterfahrschutz-Toyota-RAV-4-XA3-/220594588469?pt=Autoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item335c764b35

best regards!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links