Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Maintenance/improvements - 4.3

anchorman

Difficulty - Easy

Time - about 20 minutes.

Tools required - Torx T20 driver, 10mm spanner, pair of pliers, Flat blade screwdriver to lever roof panel down.

US Part No - 00016 - 42116 inc compass (UK refer to Lindop Bros)

Price - US $174.71 (about £96) UK £300 discounted from Lindop Bros.

Introduction

This post details the fitment of a photochromic (automatically dipping mirror) in place of the standard manual type as fitted to XT4 models and lower. The UK price I believe may be for the standard replacement photochromic mirror and not an accessory kit. Maybe Parts King can negotiate with TGB to get it introduced as an accessory kit at a reasonable price.

Procedure

Gently prize off the plastic cover on the mirror to screen mount. If necessary use a piece of card to protect the screen. It does come off quite easily;

IMG_1157.jpg

Next push the mirror up at the same rake as the screen in order to detach it. No tools here just push but it is quite stiff. Be sure to keep hold of the mirror!;

IMG_1158.jpg

Now with the mirror off, carefully prize the lighting panel down starting at one side and working around. Let the panel hang on the lighting wires - it isn't heavy! Locate the plug on the sunroof motor. Squeeze the clip and remove the plug from the sunroof motor. Use the supplied connector and attach it to the thin blue wire;

IMG_1166-1.jpg

That takes care of the ignition feed. If there is no sun roof, there is easily enough wire to run down the "A" pillar to the fuse box. The earth is slightly tricky because the bolts that are in clear view are insulated. So look into the aperture towards the passenger side and you will see this earth point (effectively over the passenger seat). There is a nut on it but I didn't try to get it off I just found another 6mm nut and used that to attach the earth wire. That white plastic tube is the drive cable for the sun roof. Don't allow the earth eyelet to put any pressure on it!;

IMG_1167.jpg

Now feed the wiring plug through the front of the headcloth and attach it to the mirror. The mirror comes with a very nice extendable conduit for you to hide the wire against the windscreen;

IMG_1161.jpg

Now while pulling back the slack in the wire drop the new mirror onto the mounting plate. This time it fits by tightening the T20 torx screw. Don't overtighten this screw!;

IMG_1163.jpg

Position the extending conduit so that it fits just under the headcloth then neatly bundle and clip the excess wire in the front of the lighting aperture using the tie wraps supplied with the kit. Next carefully push the lighting panel back into the headcloth. There are 4 plastic poppers plus metal guiders to locate the headcloth.

Test the mirror by switching the ignition on. The green light will illuminate and if fitted, the compass will show "C". This indicates that the compass needs to be calibrated. To do this drive the vehicle through a 360 degree circle and the display will then show the heading;

IMG_1172.jpg

Temporarily attach a piece of black tape to the sensor on the screen side of the mirror then shine a light in the sensor on the mirror frame. The glass and the compass will very quickly darken to a dark green/grey tint;

IMG_1171.jpg

The Central Florida Parts Dept have offered to supply this part for the above price plus US postage (probably about £120 inc postage). I can provide the details if necessary but wait until Kingo has looked at it.

I am currently in negotiation for this part, I will report back when I have further information.

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I can get these mirrors for about £105 including carriage. I have had to build in a bit of extra carriage in order to get the item posted on, once it lands in this country. I will only order them on an "As required basis"postage can be up to 10 days, but more likely to be 6-7 days. The price is subject to me not having to pay import tax, if there is any duty to be paid, this will have to be charged extra. If anybody is interested, please feel free to PM me.

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links