Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help! Noisy Cambelt!

fieldinsb

I have a 2001 2.0 Petrol NRG Rav. When I started her up this morning the cambelt was VERY squeeky. I switched her off and checked the belt but couldnt see anything wrong. So started it up again and within a few seconds it quitened down to the usual "dull squeek" (it has always done this!). I then drove from Hereford to Bristol with no problems what-so-ever!! The car has done 160000 miles.

Anyone got any ideas as to what this might have been? :huh:

It's not uncommon for cam belts and poly v belts to squeek/creek when cold and then quiten down as they become more supple with heat.

As long as the belt is within the service life recommendation and is correctly tensioned don't worry.

I have a 2001 2.0 Petrol NRG Rav. When I started her up this morning the cambelt was VERY squeeky. I switched her off and checked the belt but couldnt see anything wrong. So started it up again and within a few seconds it quitened down to the usual "dull squeek" (it has always done this!). I then drove from Hereford to Bristol with no problems what-so-ever!! The car has done 160000 miles.

Anyone got any ideas as to what this might have been? :huh:

If the belt has never been replaced, there is your answer! Do it before it gives up the ghost and the engine goes BANG!

It's not uncommon for cam belts and poly v belts to squeek/creek when cold and then quiten down as they become more supple with heat.

As long as the belt is within the service life recommendation and is correctly tensioned don't worry.

thanks anchorman. i thought that it should be okay. i had a chat with a mate and he said exactly the same thing. :thumbsup:

cheers, simon

Simon,

I had a squeaky belt or pulley when cold, I asked Mr T to have a look at last service in Feb.

They replaced the part and all was fine but lo and behold, first kinda cold morning this week

and there is a bit of a squeak again. As Anchorman said I would not worry about it, just rubber

bits on steel pulleys reacting with extremes of temperature.

Dave. ;)

Mine was singing along with the Birds this morning when I started her up.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links