Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another Steering Problem

qpwoeiruty999

Hi!

I know this has been discussed again but every situation might be differetnt! Let's first provide you with a short history! My car is an Avensis 1.6 VVTi (2004). Before almost 2 years, i had a problem with the steering, making a strange sound and being unstable (especially at low speeds, when parking or when turning as far as i remember). I then went to the local dealer and they replaced a component in the steering(which i guess it's the intermediate shaft Toyota recalled 1 year later). After that, my car was back to normal and me very satisfied!!!

Recently(before 4 months), a similar problem appeared. It seems like it started when i hitted a big road bump although i cannot be a 100% sure. I then went again to the dealer, and told him that something similar reappeared. This time, no strange sound comes off the steering, it's just unstable. Almost every time i hit a bump, the steering wheel seems like it wants to turn on its own. Somethimes it also happens when i accelerate fast. It also can happen when i stop slowly at the traffic lights. Again, the steering wheels turns or exhibits a will to turn on its own(i can feel it). Apart from that, it's very hard to keep the car on a straight line, especially when driving on highway. All the time, i need to keep alighning my steering on the road, as it suddenly changes(slightly) directions. On windy days, the problem appears to be worse. This is very annoying, and i'm getting very tired when driving. Also, the steering most of the times seems very ununiformly sensitive, maybe depending on road surface etc-i cannot tell for sure

My dealer, examined the car, and sent my rims for straightening(he said that they were a little out of shape). He also told that i immediately needed to change tyres and have a wheel alignment (geometry?). I did this recently, although i believed my tyres were still OK, but nothing seemed to change. Problem still persists. I then brought my car for an MOT exam, and it passed it, showing that my Suspension was OK. The MOT guy(which is a friend of mine), told also that suspension balls, bushings were in a very good condition

Do you have any ideas? Does anyone had a similar problem? Please help!!!

Thanks in advance!

Problems with steering geometry are a common curse with the Avensis. Problems linked to acceleration are usually associated to mis-alighnment or wear in the lower wishbone (front suspension lower arm). The bushes may be split or worn. At rest the geometry will be correct. However the forces exerted when accelerating may pull one of the wheels out of kilter. Similarly braking will cause the same 'turning' effect.

Using a pry bar when the car is on stands should see if this is the cause. Small amounts of play in both the front and rear bushings together will account for large movement at the wheel end. BTW if this is the problem I would advise to replace Both sides. Don't bother with just the bushings. The entire part with the bushes is widely available as a copy at a reasonable price.

Problems with steering geometry are a common curse with the Avensis. Problems linked to acceleration are usually associated to mis-alighnment or wear in the lower wishbone (front suspension lower arm). The bushes may be split or worn. At rest the geometry will be correct. However the forces exerted when accelerating may pull one of the wheels out of kilter. Similarly braking will cause the same 'turning' effect.

Using a pry bar when the car is on stands should see if this is the cause. Small amounts of play in both the front and rear bushings together will account for large movement at the wheel end. BTW if this is the problem I would advise to replace Both sides. Don't bother with just the bushings. The entire part with the bushes is widely available as a copy at a reasonable price.

Thanks alot for the detailed reply! The specific possibility you mentioned reflects only problems with acceleration or decceleration? I'm asking this, because my Avensis's having a problem in various other occassions (unpredictably as stated before). I have the sense that is also a little "jumpy"!!!

Any other help is much appreciated.Sorry for my bad English!

I set up a meeting with my Toyota dealer today. He drove the car and he stated that everything was normal. He then connected the OBD to his portable computer and he ecamined the car for error codes(no error codes were found). We then drove the car, having OBD observed and he examined steering torques and voltages. Everything was normal on his computer. I asked him about the possibility of a damaged/worn lower wishbone, and he said that this would be shown as a problem when they performed the car geometry.

Now i'm totally clueless! I'm even thinking of selling the car!

• 1 month later...

After my last attempts, i was totally hopeless on the possibility to find a solution to the above problems. I could still feel the problem and of course i was totally aware of the fact that Toyota service was lying for some reason(intentionally or due to their inability). I totally avoided to drive on highway since wind poses a danger for me.Till 2-3 days ago, when i had to drive on highway and the problem made me even more worried, since at some point, wind put me in a danger.

I then remembered of a mechanic that was very reputable in my town for his ability on modifying cars-installing turbo etc. I asked and i found that he's currently working on an MOT. I travelled there and he was very willing to help me. He stated that MOT is not necesarry for me and that it was better to first drive the car. He asked me a few questions and then he drove the car at max 10 minutes, of which 2 minutes he drove quite fast and observed the motion of the car + the way my steering was behaving. He simply told me that "Your steering has a problem". He noticed that the car was returning to straight line just after he turned it right (normally), but when he turned left, the car continued it's movement(abnormal). This is something that i couldn't express before, because i'm not that experience.

We then drove back to his garage, where he measured the relative positions of the front wheels, finding that the left wheel was 5mm offset(closer to the passanger). He then proposed that i have to bring the car for geometry, to find out the reason. He gave me a telephone of an expert to examine it and i setup a visit for tomorrow.

It seems that i'm starting to see light. At least, i found some expert that agrees with me and that his opinion matters, since he is very reputable.

I got very angry with Toyota service, since the problem was so obvious for another expert (2-3 minutes to discover and reproduce a strange behavior) but not for them. They have put me in a dangerous position of driving a car with a propably serious problem. I spend also much for changing tyres and straightening my rims and having the car 3 times aligned, discovering that i have thrown my money to the sea. Most important is that my life was in danger.I've even thought of suing them, but i'm not sure if it deserves the effort, time and risk

What is your opinion? Is anyone from Toyota reading this forum? Is there any international complaint center? Should i take them to the court?

I'll keep you posted on the findings tomorrow.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links