Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4.2 4.3 Etc?

PinkMinkee

could someone explain what these numbers mean...........correct me if I'm wrong but I m assuming its to do with facelifts on each model, cheers peeps :)

Jan

could someone explain what these numbers mean...........correct me if I'm wrong but I m assuming its to do with facelifts on each model, cheers peeps :)

Jan

It's version numbers.

4.1 = first edition RAV4

4.2 = second edition RAV4

4.3 = third, and current, edition RAV4

Jan

It's version numbers.

4.1 = first edition RAV4

4.2 = second edition RAV4

4.3 = third, and current, edition RAV4

Just to stick some years on the above excellent answer:

4.1 = 1994-2000

4.2 = 2000-2006

4.3 = 2006-xxxx

As this keeps coming up I thought I would do a little trawl and produce a portfolio and stars some famous motors and and a few real stonkers;

The RAV (Recreational Active Vehicle) 4.1 as the others say ran from 1994 to 2000 and came in 3 and 5 doors.

This is the frontal view;

EarlyRAV4.jpg

And from the rear

3doorrear.jpg

And in 5 doors;

41.jpg

And yes, love it or hate it - special editions;

ravpeach-1.jpg

Then in 2000 the 4.2 was launched and was also available in 3 or 5 doors. In its original encarnation most colours were 2 tone with silver at the bottom. They also had rectangular fog and indicator lights in the front bumper.

Here is the 3 door viewed from the front;

3door.jpg

And this the 5 door (note the bonnet scoop which is exclusive to the D4D engine).

421front.jpg

These are two cracking examples showing two tone and monotone colour schemes..........;

421.jpg

Rav4_9.jpg

........and this the headlight of the earlier 4.2s;

42.jpg

In 2004 the 4.2 were facelifted. Gone was the two tone exterior and sadly in my opinion so was the two tone interior. This in my humble opinion is the finest example of a 4.2 3 door on planet earth........;

423doorrear.jpg

To be continued........

Continued

..........and this the most esteemed

BobKING.jpg

and this is a demonstration of pure dedication......

bobkingengine.jpg

The 5 door version;

Hoovie.jpg

There was also an XTR which was a loaded special edition.

Then in 2006 the 4.3 was introduced. The European version is a foot shorter then its US Cousin and comes with a jewel of an engine that is not available over there, the 2.2D4D. This is another common rail diesel with turbo and intercooler, however it now has chain driven camshafts. There are many other design features incuding twin balance shafts located in the lower crankcase. The 2.0l petrol was upgraded with higher output and cleaner emmisions. The transmission is all new and while the 2.0lVVTi still has a 5 speed box with auto option, the diesel uses a 6 speed twin countershaft gearbox. there is a conventional transfer box but 4Wd is now achieved by use of an electric operated variable multi plate clutch in the nose of the rear diff'. This can be steplessly engaged depending on the driving conditions and in most variants is integrated into the VSC and ABS systems.

The flagship of the range is the T180 with the high powered diesel engine and DCAT emmision system.

This shows two different versions and are recognisable by such features as the wheel arch flares and embelished grille. Which is the best colour? You decide;

(Duncerduncs)

NewCar.jpg

(Sywy)

T180.jpg

Special editions exist depending on the location. This is a 2.0VVTi Luna available in Ireland and has benefited from several embelishments by the owner (Robert);

Robertnew.jpg

An XTR was introduced which has various addtions to the specification of the XT3 but also has the "clean" rear door as there is a puncture repair kit rather than a spare wheel (Dave M)

DaveM.jpg

The XT5 has the same specification but minus the run flat tyres and is instead fitted with the 140 engine common to the rest of the range. This one has the optional side and bumper protection;

xt5protection.gif

And this is the XT4. This one with the style pack (Fujisan);

TOC1.jpg

This immaculate XT3 is recogniseable by the standard fit roof bars and the absence of front fog lights (Frank Ashworth);

20071226005_edited-1.jpg

Wow....brillant post Anchorman :toast:

Absolutely love it :yahoo:

Cheers

I did a quick trawl and picked out some pictures but there were loads of beauties that I missed so sincere apologies to any that got missed - it's not preference or personal!

Anchorman,

According to 4 car RAV4 stands for Recreational Activity Vehicle 4WD.

I don't know who to believe... :P

P.S The dark blue is the best colour :thumbsup:

Wow. Great post anchorman :thumbsup:

I haven't looked it up, but always though the same as Duncs -Recreational Activity Vehicle with 4WD.

Just re read this (been lifting leaves all afternoon :angry: ) great presentation Anchorman :thumbsup:

cor fanx anchorman....thats brills..........love the turquoise blue rav, and its gotta be 5 door but i gotta sdmit the 4.2 is the best shape imo, the 4.3 back end reminds me of the megane II, n we've had one of them :)

4.3 back end reminds me of the megane II, n we've had one of them :)

Aw there was no need for that ;)

cor fanx anchorman....thats brills..........love the turquoise blue rav, and its gotta be 5 door but i gotta sdmit the 4.2 is the best shape imo, the 4.3 back end reminds me of the megane II, n we've had one of them :)

That will be my one then.....(three photo's of mine :P :P :P ) She's a bit ill at the moment...but seing that post by Anchorman has made me love her again..... :wub::wub:

been lifting leaves all afternoon :angry:

Should have blown then into next doors, like Paul suggested :lol:

That will be my one then.....(three photo's of mine :P :P :P ) She's a bit ill at the moment...but seing that post by Anchorman has made me love her again..... :wub::wub:

Good on you mate :thumbsup::yahoo: I love a happy ending.......my very best wishes are with you and your beautiful Chatman Blue RAV for a speedy recovery :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I'm just recalling it from my new model training all those years ago! My judgement could be clouded through Christmas alcohol :D:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Great idea showing the RAV4 history in photo form, once finished it really need to be sticked by the moderators ......please :)

• 5 weeks later...
Just to stick some years on the above excellent answer:

4.1 = 1994-2000

4.2 = 2000-2006

4.3 = 2006-xxxx

And , in my humble opinion, we will have the 4.4 in 2013.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links