Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Luvin My Mmt But Can Stand The 1st Gear Issue !

konakid

Hi

Read a few posts now that have mentioned this issue, When slowing down for a corner in mmt the bloomin gearbox decides to select down to 1st when 2nd is ideal...I finding myself kangarooing a treat and its a little annoying (nee embarrassing)....its a shame as im loving the paddle shift and "actually driving" an auto. I have got used to switching between paddle and gear shift on corners but this little things is getting my goat !!

Think Toyota need to do a mod on the gear box management system only to take the box down to 1st once the come the car has completed a full stop.. anyone got any ideas how to drive better to avoid this issue...????

Yeah.......Buy a manual!!!!!

Only joking, i've seen a lot of people on here complaining that the MMT is rubbish. I hate anything that's not manual, you dont have full control over the car.

There have been issues with MMT, but on the newer models, Auris etc, it is fantastic, it could never be called rubbish, the change down to first when trying to drive slowly is a little strange at first. There is no mod for that, I got used to it and adapted my driving to suit when I had an MMT version. It is something you get used to

Kingo :thumbsup:

There have been issues with MMT, but on the newer models, Auris etc, it is fantastic, it could never be called rubbish, the change down to first when trying to drive slowly is a little strange at first. There is no mod for that, I got used to it and adapted my driving to suit when I had an MMT version. It is something you get used to

Has the design been significantly changed since the 05 Corolla.I could just not get used to it so bought a manual d4d Auris.I would like it if it drove more like an auto.

I have a 1.6 3door MMT Auris and I LOVE IT!!!. Don't see why people are against the MMT?.

Put Auris in yesterday to solve the squeaky brake problem and had a manual for a day..UGH UGH !!! no thank you.

Am really happy with my Auris. Drives Great, Very comfortable and has everything I want.

I agree, manuals just don't figure for me.....Man has moved on from being Apes so why people still hark on about gears sticks i dont know...when do you get a chance to use them in today's driving conditions.... think it will be one of those thing Parts King i agree, already getting used to it everyday... LONG LIVE AUTO/ SEMI / MMT gearboxes.....

As for not having control of the car on the MMT i disagree, I feel even more in control as i can leave the car to do the mundane things like changing down and can keep all hands on the steering wheel at the same time with the paddles.

PS.. the Honda gearbox is just a funny at first to drive on the Civic, just you do get a few more gears..

""Don21' post=Has the design been significantly changed since the 05 Corolla.I could just not get used to it so bought a manual d4d Auris.I would like it if it drove more like an auto...""

Hi Don, the new auris has an ES mode that shifts a lot cleaner, i generally dont have to take my foot off the gas when in this mode and its more like the shift on my Avensis semi.

MMT has moved on since 05, it is very smooth, the paddles are great, it just suffers from that perculiarity of changing down to first when going slowly, that is really a minor point. I personally love it

I have a 1.6 3door MMT Auris and I LOVE IT!!!. Don't see why people are against the MMT?.

Put Auris in yesterday to solve the squeaky brake problem and had a manual for a day..UGH UGH !!! no thank you.

Am really happy with my Auris. Drives Great, Very comfortable and has everything I want.

I do not think people are against the MMT gearbox its just a case of some Verso owners have had major issues with it.

In time this may be the way gearbox design will go !!! but I still think the MMT was released to early and according to the posts on the Verso and MPV forum has reliability problems !!! this was very unlike Toyota.

I believe Europe is the only market to have this box

I agree, manuals just don't figure for me.....Man has moved on from being Apes so why people still hark on about gears sticks i dont know...when do you get a chance to use them in today's driving conditions.... think it will be one of those thing Parts King i agree, already getting used to it everyday... LONG LIVE AUTO/ SEMI / MMT gearboxes.....

As for not having control of the car on the MMT i disagree, I feel even more in control as i can leave the car to do the mundane things like changing down and can keep all hands on the steering wheel at the same time with the paddles.

PS.. the Honda gearbox is just a funny at first to drive on the Civic, just you do get a few more gears..

""Don21' post=Has the design been significantly changed since the 05 Corolla.I could just not get used to it so bought a manual d4d Auris.I would like it if it drove more like an auto...""

Hi Don, the new auris has an ES mode that shifts a lot cleaner, i generally dont have to take my foot off the gas when in this mode and its more like the shift on my Avensis semi.

Well I will just have to try one as soon as I get the chance.We also own a fully Auto Corrolla 1.6vvti so it got really frustrating when I got into the mmt and got that dreaded lurch because I forgot to lift my foot off the pedal.I would consider one if it has improved that much.It would have to be pretty close to a full auto though.

Hi

Read a few posts now that have mentioned this issue, When slowing down for a corner in mmt the bloomin gearbox decides to select down to 1st when 2nd is ideal...I finding myself kangarooing a treat and its a little annoying (nee embarrassing)....its a shame as im loving the paddle shift and "actually driving" an auto. I have got used to switching between paddle and gear shift on corners but this little things is getting my goat !!

Think Toyota need to do a mod on the gear box management system only to take the box down to 1st once the come the car has completed a full stop.. anyone got any ideas how to drive better to avoid this issue...????

Hi

I have also the MMT in my auris and I love it all the way , accept this problem you point here.

I got the Auris in May and drove it about 8000 KM, testing any position using the mmt - mostly in M mode.

Toyota must re-programming the gear software and lower the speed when the gear going down to 1st.[].

Now it is in 18 KM speed, which is too high, and it must be no more then 12KM.

I HOPE SOMEONE FROM TOYOTA IS READING THIS FORUM AND WILL RESPOND !!!.

Now I have a TIPE to all AURIS-MMT OWNERS:

There is a spcial mode in MMT - like "SNOW MODE" and we can use it in City-drive.

When you are in M mode - you can start in 2th gear ( NOT IN UP-HILL) using the paddle or the gear shift before start moving.

You will see the "M2".

Then after you start moving, you can even change to 3th if you over the 20-22KM .

If you will stay bellow 40KM[, When slowing down before lights or in a corner , the gearbox going down only to 2nd and will stay there = NOT GOING DOWN TO 1ST.

Then you can go-on again until 40KM and again slowing down.- the Limit to stay in this mode is 40KM.

IN this mode mmt will change only between 2th to 3th and to 2th. ( above the speed 40 KM -the mode is cancel)

Please try it and reply me how it goes.

I used it very offen and get the garentee word from our "Israel Toyota Office" that this is O.K. and without no damage at all.

• 2 weeks later...
MMT has moved on since 05, it is very smooth, the paddles are great, it just suffers from that perculiarity of changing down to first when going slowly, that is really a minor point. I personally love it

Parts-King hi

u say that the MMT " it just suffers from that perculiarity of changing down to first when going slowly, ..."

Did u ever point that problem to anyone in Toyota Office , and if u got any replay why this plan it to do so.

To my opinion this is a very bad behavior and i did send same mails to toyota-europe to get the answer.

So far no news.

Can u do something to make it clear to us here ?? P help !!!

thanks.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links