Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water Pump / Aux Belt Replacement

Steve_T

Hi All,

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned about our aux belt squealing on a cold start. Well, it got worse (to the point where it just squealed all the time) and we went to our local Mr T to get it re-tensioned. Turns out that they wouldn't adjust it any further and it needs a new belt. More worrying is the leak they found from the water pump - on a 3 year 2 month old car with 32,000 miles on the clock! The service manager at our Toyota dealer said this is a "common problem" with RAV4s, although not common enough for Toyota to consider extended warranty claims. Has anyone else here needed a new pump?

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the garage we bought it from a few weeks ago have agreed to replace both items as they were faulty when the car was sold (furring on the pump shows leak has been there a while). Only problem is, that garage is a Skoda main dealer, not a Toyota garage. So, my question is this: are the aux belt and water pump reasonably straightforward jobs that a competent mechanic could do, even if they're not Toyota trained or have access to any special Toyota tools?

I recall someone mentioning an online source of Toyota service guides for the RAV4. Would this have articles on the replacement of these items that I could print out and leave in the car in case the mechanic gets stuck?

As always, any help and guidance would be appreciated!

Ta!

Not 100% sure on the Rav, but I'd reckon it's a straightforward job that anyone could do.

( it is on every car I've owned anyway ! )

Wotcha Steve,

The manuals are available here:

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/

You'll have to register and spend a few euros to get access for a hour or so.

The aux belt I believe is straight forward. For the water pump replacement, I believe the timing belt cover and the timing belt needs to come off. I may be wrong and certainly the more competent mechys on here will correct me if I am. If the timing belt does have to come off as well, you might like to consider having that belt changed at the same time. You should then be good up to about 90K miles, if the vehicle has done 30k.

A competent mechanic should be fine with both of these, indeed a few years ago Skoda dealers had a good reputation for customer care. I can understand your concern though.

Cheers

oh, forgot to say, the 4.2 I owned from new, did 5 years on the same pump. Still there when it was part Ex'ed

Wotcha Steve,

The manuals are available here:

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/

You'll have to register and spend a few euros to get access for a hour or so.

The aux belt I believe is straight forward. For the water pump replacement, I believe the timing belt cover and the timing belt needs to come off. I may be wrong and certainly the more competent mechys on here will correct me if I am. If the timing belt does have to come off as well, you might like to consider having that belt changed at the same time. You should then be good up to about 90K miles, if the vehicle has done 30k.

A competent mechanic should be fine with both of these, indeed a few years ago Skoda dealers had a good reputation for customer care. I can understand your concern though.

Cheers

oh, forgot to say, the 4.2 I owned from new, did 5 years on the same pump. Still there when it was part Ex'ed

Yes you are right the water pump is driven by the timing belt so it makes no sense not to change the belt at the same time.

The Skoda garage should be OK to do the belt and like shcm says there are not many (if any) reports of water pump problems.

If it has been stood for a long time or at some stage not had the correct anti-freeze added then that could have had an adverse effect. Maybe Kingo or Moonstone Mart can comment?

Cheers

Hi Steve.... My 4D4 had its water pump changed with the cam belt change at its 60k service, your garage should change the cam belt as a matter of course preferably with genuine Toyota spare

Rgds Mick :rolleyes:

Can't say I've ever had a problem with the RAV water pump.

Last one was on the Humber....

Then again these don't have 5 doors and I'm no 5 door expert.

Did replace the timing belt on the minibus which is a renault espace engine, then got a friendly mechanic to double check it. I've been out counting its doors and it has 4 hinged doors and 1 that slides so does that count as 5 doors?? I'll need to check the water pump.

Happy New Year when it comes...............

Thanks, as always, for the advice everyone. Seems like we're just unlucky with the leaking pump. I'll see how they get on and point them in the direction of the techdocs site if they get stuck.

Happy New Year to all!

Not an uncommon problem I'm afraid...Not another one I hear you cry :eek:

I sell one or two a month

Kingo :thumbsup:

Not an uncommon problem I'm afraid...Not another one I hear you cry :eek:

I sell one or two a month

Kingo :thumbsup:

Does that mean that 40% of diesel 5 door RAVs get a new water pump every 2 years?? Gosh. I must be lucky to have a 3 door machine??

Maybe its something to do with diesel engines running hotter? Or the engine having to work harder to pull the additional weight of the doors etc?? Must be some sort of logical explanation :( :(

Oh dear, our RAV4 experience just seems to be going to bad to worse... :(

The Skoda dealer who sold us the car have replaced the water pump as requested and that has cured the leak. They also fitted a new serpentine belt to try and cure the squealing. Unfortunately it is now worse than before!! When the engine is cold, the car quite literally squeals like a pig (in pain) and although it subsides slightly when things have warmed up, it doesn't go away fully.

The Skoda technicians seem to be a bit stumped and have now ordered a new tensioner for the belt, to see if that fixes the problem (they stripped the old one down and lubricated everything which apparently cured it for a little while). Beyond that, they said they would be looking at fitting a new a/c compressor pump! In the meantime, we have to squeal our way around Cambridgeshire.

I thought Toyotas were supposed to be reliable beasts?! These are not the sort of problems I'd expect on a three year old car with 32,000 miles on the clock. Sadly, we've not had a good start to the ownership experience. The only consolation has been the willingness of the Skoda dealer to get everything fixed (at their expense) and of course the friendly and helpful folks on this forum! :)

Steve

From memory the AC compressor is driven by the serpentine belt (although I would have to just stick my head under the bonnet of my mates 4.2) so they should be able to eliminate it by just running the engine without the belt on. There is nothing lubricateable (if that is a word) so they are wasting their time there. I would also have thought that they could have got a feel for if the idler/tensioner pulley by spinning it while stripped - certainly good enough to know whether it might cause problems.

Just do a little experiement for me;

Start the engine from cold (when it generating the noise). Just get a jug or bottle and trickle some warm water down onto the serpentine belt while it is ticking over to see if it goes quiet. Let us know what happens.

Regards

Thanks - I'll give this a go in the morning! (I don't want to wake the baby trying it now!! :o )

Stay with it Steve, the squeaky belt is just one of the little annoyances. I had 5 years of trouble free DIESEL motoring with a 4.2, but my belt did go through the squeal stage.

I'll get killed for saying this, but you can stop the squeal for a while by spaying the belt lightly with a little lubricant (like WD40). Almost certainly not a good idea (probably more belt slippage), but it does work. The new belt/tensioner is the proper fix.

Cheers

......and before posting I've just seen Anchorman's reply and he's pouring water on it! :D

The new belt won't be bedded into the channels/grooves of the existing set up and hence the surface contact will be less than that which the old belt enjoyed.

The belt needs to have a decent tension on it to make up for this lesser friction and in a little time the belt will settle in and all should be well. Whether it needs a new tensioner or just tightened up is beyond my experience as I have a 3 door petrol. However, basic belt transmission laws are the same.

Wouldnae worry too much about it other than wakening the neeburs.

As far as the we'en, a good set of audio headsets and some decent music will disguise the noise of the diesel.

To run it squealing for a long time will lessen the belt life and the efficiency o yer air-conditioning and water pump.

The same very basic principle exists with trains, but they chuck sand on the rails which just wears the rails and wheel rims quicker.....maybe anchorman meant to say "chuck some wet leaves" down.....?

Does that 'convey' any help? I wouldn't like to be 'rubbing' up the wrong tree...

Just do a little experiement for me;

Start the engine from cold (when it generating the noise). Just get a jug or bottle and trickle some warm water down onto the serpentine belt while it is ticking over to see if it goes quiet. Let us know what happens.

Regards

Crikey Anchorman - you could package this and sell it as a cure for squealing serpentine belts. A couple of drops of warm water and the squeal instantly vanished - for a minute or so, anyway. What does this tell us?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Crikey Anchorman - you could package this and sell it as a cure for squealing serpentine belts. A couple of drops of warm water and the squeal instantly vanished - for a minute or so, anyway. What does this tell us?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

The only explanation can be that diesels need steam!! Must be a throw back to the old BR days of steam trains??? Wanna buy a 60litre water tank for the boot to feed the belt???

Good luck in getting the long term solution (water and WD40 :lol: ?)

Seriously, hope the garage gets the tensioner sorted!

Thanks Bothy - perhaps setting up a drip-feed of warm water to the belt is the only solution! :unsure:

On a more disappointing note, I spotted two patches of coolant under the car this morning - and had to top the expansion tank up with around 200ml of water. I'm not sure if this is the system "settling down" after the new water pump installation, or whether the new pump is leaking or something hasn't been put back correctly. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days to see what happens... :angry:

Thanks Bothy - perhaps setting up a drip-feed of warm water to the belt is the only solution! :unsure:

On a more disappointing note, I spotted two patches of coolant under the car this morning - and had to top the expansion tank up with around 200ml of water. I'm not sure if this is the system "settling down" after the new water pump installation, or whether the new pump is leaking or something hasn't been put back correctly. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days to see what happens... :angry:

haha - I'll tell you a better one =

I was panicking after taking the beast out for a good thrashing then finding the level in the radiator was down - had to put in half a jug of water (maybe around 200ml) ! Next visit to the garage, i mentioned that my old original radiator must be needing replaced cos its not handling the additional heat of the turbo. They laughed and said that not to worry - they hadn't fitted an expansion tank yet and were looking for a smaller one to fit in. In the meantime no harm would come to the engine!!!

There's a radiator cap on top of the radiator and I never thought to look for the expansion tank!! Duhhh! The 'expansion' or excessive water pressure is released from my radiator cap and the rubber tube from the cap just goes 6" clear of the electrics....

The moral here is to make sure you're not overfilling the expansion tank.

Considering bothy is an avionics and airframe mechanic he knows a fair bit about motors!!

Mind you he has followed the evolution of the motor car according to the list!!!

I did have leaves on the line but the phone seemed to work OK.

Bgr

blown a burst somewhere in the water coolant system. Overheated today on a short run and the radiator took 1.8 litres to fill to top. Evidence of steam from rear of the engine compartment means nothing as I will have to run engine and see where leak is.....not. I'm booking the beast in next week for another check through the engine compartment for loose bits after all the work. However as I've done a few miles, I think its either a hose somewhere or probably the heater hose system....as most else has been replaced.

Oil useage is nil. And I caught the overheating immediately (steam in the cockpit!)

Need to buy another RAV4 beast as a back up........

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links