Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Side Mouldings (rubbing Strips)

dave.m

Getting a bit worried about Asda door syndrome, and was wondering if its worth fitting the side mouldings. Had a quick

look at older posts and the only member I can find thats fitted them is Jim from Falkirk (JHRC). So what do you think,

worth it or not ? If yes, painted or unpainted ? ;)

Borrowed this photo from the Photo Thread (page 7). Thanks 1874 :thumbsup:

th_3.jpg

Personally with a light coloured car, I would get them painted.

The only mark on my otherwise unblemished panels came from a supermarket. To some people the car is just a tool and has no more need for respect than a garden shed. I lecture my wife to park in the most remote part of the supermarket but whether she does I don't know.

In answer to your question, I prefer the look without the protection and if I was going to have it then I'd probably get it painted too. Knowing my luck some cretin would knock it just to one side of the protectors!

Hi...

Does anyone have a price on these side panel protectors? Also... how are they fixed (do you have to drill holes?), or are they 'stuck' on?

Dave

Getting a bit worried about Asda door syndrome, and was wondering if its worth fitting the side mouldings. Had a quick

look at older posts and the only member I can find thats fitted them is Jim from Falkirk (JHRC). So what do you think,

Hi Dave,

I personaly think they save my paint work from the usual carpark knocks. My last car had door mouldings which were painted and were covered in chipped paint work from Asda door syndrome, this the main reason for not painting.

daveh_rav4,

Moulding are held on with double sided tape, I haven't had any problem with the door mouldings but the rear bumper corner moudings are loose and will be replace under warranty when I get time to book it in sometime next month.

I hope this helps.

Jim

I have to go along with Fuj, I think these black side strips look great on darker RAVs, but on silver, I think it makes it look "tacky", but just my opinion, each to his own.

I wanted painted silver ones on mine when new, but dealer didn't want to paint them, the excuse being they would be port fit rather than dealer fit and would therefore have to be removed to be painted. Don't know whether that is really the case or just a fob off. Can't say I remember seeing any pics anywhere of a 4.3 with painted side protectors?

I got some cheap non-Toyota ones and painted them up, making a pretty good job of them, (even those I say so myself), but still wasn't that happy when I came to fit them, so I've had nearly 12 months without any and have got used to it.

Still undecided whether I'll have a go at getting some Toyota ones painted.

Toyed with the idea of side steps, but my own personal taste is to avoid all that "bling" on a car, I think it can give the impression of being to aggressive, but again, just my preference - each to his own.

A question to all you RAVers with side bars/steps - Do they actually catch the knocks from supermarket care-nots car drivers (obviously not 4x4s) or are they too low? Thanks

Cheers

I think done right they can look good as this spectacular vehicle of Dutchrav's shows;

423doorrear.jpg

Even the mudflaps are done.

Another good example is this with black bodywork. To me this is OK and I think it would work equally well with any darker colour;

T1801.jpg

To colour code them requires special preparation and I would have a body shop do it.

Think one of the keys to spray painting plastic is properly "de-greasing" before painting, which is what I've done in the past - but I'm no paint shop professional.

Cobra-de (the German 4x4 accersory firm) do a side moulding for the Rav4, it is not as deep as the OME one and I think looks a lot better, it is not as expensive as Toyota one and you can get it from Formula 4x4.

Clare

I think it has to be etched with chemicals which de-greases at the same time. It's interesting but I had the spare wheel cover off mine today and it is the bendiest piece of plastic you can imagine (sorry T180 and XTR owners).

The paint just goes with it. It is mindblowing when you think that such good looking paint that is solvent free is so flexible. An absolute credit to the people that designed the stuff.

I have to go along with Fuj, I think these black side strips look great on darker RAVs, but on silver, I think it makes it look "tacky", but just my opinion, each to his own.

I wanted painted silver ones on mine when new, but dealer didn't want to paint them, the excuse being they would be port fit rather than dealer fit and would therefore have to be removed to be painted. Don't know whether that is really the case or just a fob off. Can't say I remember seeing any pics anywhere of a 4.3 with painted side protectors?

I got some cheap non-Toyota ones and painted them up, making a pretty good job of them, (even those I say so myself), but still wasn't that happy when I came to fit them, so I've had nearly 12 months without any and have got used to it.

Still undecided whether I'll have a go at getting some Toyota ones painted.

Toyed with the idea of side steps, but my own personal taste is to avoid all that "bling" on a car, I think it can give the impression of being to aggressive, but again, just my preference - each to his own.

A question to all you RAVers with side bars/steps - Do they actually catch the knocks from supermarket care-nots or are they too low? Thanks

Cheers ive got side and corner protectors on my carbon quartz so they blend in ok,the front corners are lifting slightly so hopefully will be sorted under warantee, I think they are a pain when

polishing as they go white if polish/wax gets on them.also they are expensive and wonder if its cheaper to replace a side protector,which still look tatty when scuffed, someone on here had a

key scratch the full length of the car and had it repaired for £160 prob cost that to replace side protector!!

Cobra-de (the German 4x4 accersory firm) do a side moulding for the Rav4, it is not as deep as the OME one and I think looks a lot better, it is not as expensive as Toyota one and you can get it from Formula 4x4.

Clare

You're right Clare, they do look better IMHO and OK if you want black. The are however, quite flexible (more so that the Toyota ones I expect, although I've not seen the Mr T ones up close), with a slightly rubbery (not hard plastic) finish and have to be bent slightly when applied to the vehicle. So, I'm not sure you'd be able to paint them, although as Anchorman says, the bendy wheel cover manages it - but that is fairly hard plastic.

Cheers

Thanks for replies, going to have to give this one some serious thought. Fitting them does not scare me as I fitted them

on both Nedflanders I had in the past. The secret is in heating up the door and the strip with a hairdryer to get the glue

on the tapes sticking good.

SHCM, IMHO fitting the steps or bars does not offer any protection from car doors as they are too low down. Especially

if its a rear door which is attacking you. I found this was the case on both the 4.2 where I fitted bars, and the LR Ned-

flander where I fitted steps.

So I guess there aint an easy answer to protect your doors from low life in car parks, but will check out Clares german

ones. Interestingly, the Toyota accessory brochure shows a silver Rav with unpainted strips :rolleyes:

Glad mine has them fitted...Even Essex mothers still cant get there numerous kids into there 4x4 without banging my doors.... :( :(

Parked in town yesterday on top floor of multi storey carpark and in far corner....came back hours later to find some one had liked the corner two and parked there MPV French thing right up close.... :angry: Lucky the RAV was filthy at the time and I could clearly see where they had rubbed against the doors and probably got all the dirt on their coat :lol: :lol:

2006_0605RAV40003.jpg

Get em fitted Dave....Only ever seen my colour RAV with Grey side mouldings never complete match.....

Complain to the ASDA manager and get yer ain parking space allotted???? Or is that too obvious?

Me? Jistbundle the auld man intae the boot an use his blue Badge......

Thanks for the nudge Dave, I must be slipping up to miss this one :o

The side strips look like this

101722531_o.gif

They are a stick on material, I have the fitting instructions saved if required

Price delivered to any UK address is £61.70, they do save those annoying supermarket dings you get from some twerp opening the door on your car or ram raiding you with a shopping trolley.........They don't defend you against incidences of road rage :D: :D: :D:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links