Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying A Spare Wheel For A 4.3

dave.m

Been pondering this since buying my new Rav. Dont mind the repair kit for day to day stuff but the frequent

journeys down south (especially the annual jaunt to the channel islands) does bother me a bit. Thought about

getting a spare and throwing it in the boot.

Anyway the Toyota wheel/tyre is too expensive. So I thought about getting a price for an aftermarket wheel

and tyre. As it wont match the Toyota alloys, you would only want to use it as a spare. So probably the cheap-

est wheel and tyre combination would be sufficient. Dont know how some companies feel about selling single

alloys, but so far I have only E mailed Formula 4X4 but have not got an answer yet. So does anybody know

a good wheel/tyre company who might be interested ? I am sure this is going to come up quite regular so

there could be a little bit of business in it for them. :thumbsup:

Been pondering this since buying my new Rav. Dont mind the repair kit for day to day stuff but the frequent

journeys down south (especially the annual jaunt to the channel islands) does bother me a bit. Thought about

getting a spare and throwing it in the boot.

Dave, I finally got a spare . The dealer said it must be the same size as the rest of the wheels.

I've got a steel wheel (the one that is mounted in the base model here) and a tyre same as the others (all weather Yokohama Geolandar). If you were wondering how much space of the boot weel be taken, I can show you a picture. Is not too much, but it would have been better if the wheel was smaller :( (a space saver...). Hope it helps.

DSC00203.jpg

Dave

Try www.wolfrace.net I have dealt with them a few times, I'm sure they must get requests for single damaged wheels from time to time

Kingo :thumbsup:

So you are going to drive round with that stuck in the boot all the time!

Not very practical, is it?

Not really. As Dave said, only in long journeys and in places where I can't find a tyre repairer (is that the word? hi hi hi...) easy.

Yep, isn't too practical, but you know, when ***** happens, is better to be prepaired! :)

I was thinking - maybe Toyota engineers know something if they choose to not place a spare tyre anyelsewhere...

I was thinking of starting a topic - how many of RAV owners had a flat tyre with their 5 doors and used the TRK to resolve the problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Well decided to take the plunge and hit the plastic. My spare wheel arrived today, total price £188 delivered free.

The alloy isn't the same, as you would expect, but it is similar and it will only get used as a spare. And it was about

£260 less than the Toyota one. The tyre is a Bridgestone, I will post a photo at the weekend for comparison. ;)

PS, asked the company that supplied it if they would give me a discount for mentioning them on this thread. They

said no, so I wont be naming them :P :P So If thinking of buying one yourself, I'll tell you who they are by PM.

Well decided to take the plunge and hit the plastic. My spare wheel arrived today, total price £188 delivered free.

The alloy isn't the same, as you would expect, but it is similar and it will only get used as a spare. And it was about

£260 less than the Toyota one. The tyre is a bridgestone, I will post a photo at the weekend for comparison. ;)

PS, asked the company that supplied it if they would give me a discount for mentioning them on this thread. They

said no, so I wont be naming them :P :P So If thinking of buying one yourself, I'll tell you who they are by PM.

That sounds like a good price with the alloy as well. Was there a seperate price for just the tyre?

What is the going rate for 4.3 tyres please anyone. From checking a couple of online tyre places, looks like it's about 120-140 depending on the make.

edit: Just found this place ( http://www.event-tyres.co.uk ) doing Bridgestones for £111 each and you get a 5% discount if you buy 4 tyres in one pop. Seems very competetive to me.

My local dealer told me about £80 all in but I will check again. Now what about a nice carpeted box to conceal that wheel Dave? I've got a fully equipped woodworking shop if you want to fashion something one day?

My local dealer told me about £80 all in but I will check again. Now what about a nice carpeted box to conceal that wheel Dave? I've got a fully equipped woodworking shop if you want to fashion something one day?

Thanks for the offer mate, gonna wait till the weekend and see what my options are :thumbsup:

Hi

I know this really doesn't help, but for some strange reason the Rav4s in Ireland still have the spare wheel on the back door. I just checked, following a dreaded thought I might be in the market for a spare myself (pick up the new Rav4 at 4.30pm tomorrow, not that I'm in count-down mode!) and the dealer absolutely assures me it has got one - I made him go and look.

That aside, have you thought about strapping it to Roof Rack, for that Camel trophy look? Also don't really understand why spare has to be full size, they use those little 50mph/80km/h yokes on lots of cars, so if you drove slowly, wonder why not?

Robert

I can't run to a fully furnished woodworking shop, but I have a few spare bungee straps if required :eek:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks for the offer mate, gonna wait till the weekend and see what my options are :thumbsup:

Why not secure it onto the bonnet...you now know how much to get a re-spary incase of scratching it...

You could have the LR look whithout the worry....Even better get it secured behind the rear doors AKA army LR style..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

We should start a brainstorming with the theme :: "Where to put the spare wheel?"..Or has already started?...:)

That's already been suggested in another thread.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

clip_image002.jpg

Or is this going too far... :unsure: :unsure:

Shame on you all......

suggesting ways to make it look like a LR!!!

Ok, heres the existing (dirty) Rav wheels -

100_0368.jpg

And heres the new spare -

100_0366.jpg

100_0365.jpg

And if anybody's interested, the wheel was £75 plus VAT. The tyre was £84.90 plus vat, shipping was free.

Looks great for a spare Dave :thumbsup:

Now to work out the storage alternative to hanging it on the back door perhaps? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Looks great for a spare Dave :thumbsup:

Now to work out the storage alternative to hanging it on the back door perhaps? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Hi mate, been having a look today and reckon its going to have to be slung in the boot as is.

The storage area under the carpet is ok side to side, but back to front its too short due to rear

axle. Only option would be to stand it up sitting in storage area, but it would be right at boot

opening which aint too convenient. Standing it up and tying it to one side would mean the back

seat would have to go all the way forward. Thats not very convenient either, the wheel/tyre

combination is bigger than you expect, its quite a brute of a thing :rolleyes:

edit, and if I remember right, any spare in the boot has to be secured, so looks like a job

for a ratchet strap/ dwang or whatever you like to call it.

Yeah, I've looked out of curiosity at times and can't see how it could be done, other than the way you say, but I suspect you are better mechanically minded than me, so I wondered if you'd come up with anything.

Dwang - I like that :yes: :D

Simple solution Dave and all you other spare tyre buyers :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Just buy the XT3/XT5 and not have the worry about it...or even go back to the 4.2 model...Non of this meddling and fiddling about with spare tyres in yea boot....Least I'm safe in the knowledge of going on a long journey and having the large boot free from any large black tyres lurking in there, and mine safely stored in it's own casing on the rear door... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dwang - I like that :yes: :D

Can add it to my Ooomph as well....

Dwang & Ooomph

Can add it to my Ooomph as well....

Dwang & Ooomph

Dwang & Ooomph don't they make hi-fi? :unsure: , or were they 2 of the 7 dwarfs? :D

Personally, I don't think 000-mph is very fast. :no:

Just seen this on FleeBay Click Here Just need to get the tyre.....

Dwang & Ooomph don't they make hi-fi? unsure.gif , or were they 2 of the 7 dwarfs? biggrin.gif

Yea before they where famous and of course the name change to something better sounding :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I've only seen Snow White does the seven dwarfs..and those names where not in it :o :huh: :P :unsure: :unsure:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links