Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

On Board Diagnostic On 1998 Avensis 1.8

Kon

My Avensis engine warning light comes on when I start, then goes out after a while. I have been told it is the leanburn censor which is expensive. The car runs normally and the economy has not changed.

I discovered that the Carina E had On Board Diagnostic system whereby a jumper links terminals of the diagnostic socket, then turn the ignition key to on position causes the engine warning light to flash. The number of flashes reveals the code. I have the codes.

Was this system carried over to the Avensis? It would be great because it would save on expensive diagnostic cost. I ask because the two cars share a lot engine wise. :help:

Kon

Yes it was carried on to the avensis

the obd port is inside the car.. on the driver side.. near the fuse box

Thanks very much. I have a printout of the Carina E proceedure plus the details of the codes. So long as the socket has the terminals marked E1 and TE1 this should be easy.

I wonder why this was not mentioned before. To think I nearly paid a garage or Mr T £60 or more for the pleasure, when I could do it myself for free.

If the car had OBDII, I would have had to pay for the diagnosis or bought a reader.

My cars engine light seems to go out after being on for a while. The cold it is the longer it stays on. The car runs fine and the economy doesn't seem affected. I have been told it is the leanburn sensor, but before I buy one I want to be sure.

I will let you know how I get on. :thumbsup:

Just an update. I check other sites to get more info. The socket is 16 pin and the actual pins that need to be linked are 4 and 13. Seen as horizontal the pin 1 to 8 is upper row 9 to 16 the lower row. Once linked turn the key to the on position but don't start the engine. All the lwarning ights come on and the SRS and ABS lights continuesly flash.

In my car my engine warning light flash a sequence of 2 flashes then 1. Then a after gap the engine light repeats the cycle. If the code is the same as the Carinas, then my lean burn censor is at fault. :crybaby:

At least I saved money on diagnosis that will go toward a new sensor.

I read that the later vvti cars can only check SRS an ABS.

Any more info I will update.

Good find! :)

Well done on getting the code.

By coincidence I have exactly the same problem. Code 21. Is this code definitely, lean burn sensor error?

Does anyone know if there are any topics on changing these?

Thank you

Good find! :)

Well done on getting the code.

By coincidence I have exactly the same problem. Code 21. Is this code definitely, lean burn sensor error?

Does anyone know if there are any topics on changing these?

Thank you

If you mean by changing the sensor, it is very easy. Just unplug the connector located by the radiator, then using a suitable spanner to undo the two nuts holding the sensor. The sensor is located on the down pipe just under the exhaust manifold. It is near the oil filter. That is the easy bit. :)

The hard part is getting a good one at a reasonable price. :( I googled for stockist and managed to source one at less than half Toyotas price and it is the made to the same standard. Waiting for the stockist to let me lknow when it is in. Am I aloud to mention stockist name?

The codes I checked on various sites and they all the same for Toyotas with self checking systems. Code 21 is always the O2 sensor.

As I have mentioned earlier, this system saves on expensive (for a few minutes of work) garage diagnostic work. Also mentioned elsewhere, this only works on pre vvti cars. I think that all cars had to be OBD2 compliant by 2001. Then you need a code reader to do the same job. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

I have replaced my lean burn sensor which I got from Nippon Automotive Ltd. It was the same part number as my original 89463-20070! My car is back to normal and I removed the fuses to the ECU to erase the memory. No more light. The car is running fine, with the engine sounding a bit quieter and smoother. It wasn't that bad with the fault but the fueling was a little different. I think I lost a couple of mile to every gallon in town - 35mpg.

Funny enough I went to NEC for a digital photography show, with the fault and did 270 miles on just over third of a tank of petrol. The engine light went out intermittently on the way back, and I could feel the throttle kick every time the light went out or came on. So there is a difference. That made my mind up to get the sensor as soon as possible.

When I chaged the sensor, it was very easy. The bolts weren't done up too tight. One bolt was very easy, but not loose. There was no leak from the old gasket.

When I when to buy from the cheapest source Lambda Power £150, they had no stock. I went to Nippon Automotive Ltd and they posted to me next day delivery for £222. I think LambdaPower's sensor was a high quality aftermarket product, Nippons is Toyota's Denso 89463-20070. Thank you Nippon Automotive. Toyota wanted £335.

I will carry in enjoying my Avensis which I have had since 2003.

Update.

I have replaced my lean burn sensor which I got from Nippon Automotive Ltd. It was the same part number as my original 89463-20070! My car is back to normal and I removed the fuses to the ECU to erase the memory. No more light. The car is running fine, with the engine sounding a bit quieter and smoother. It wasn't that bad with the fault but the fueling was a little different. I think I lost a couple of mile to every gallon in town - 35mpg.

Funny enough I went to NEC for a digital photography show, with the fault and did 270 miles on just over third of a tank of petrol. The engine light went out intermittently on the way back, and I could feel the throttle kick every time the light went out or came on. So there is a difference. That made my mind up to get the sensor as soon as possible.

When I chaged the sensor, it was very easy. The bolts weren't done up too tight. One bolt was very easy, but not loose. There was no leak from the old gasket.

When I when to buy from the cheapest source Lambda Power £150, they had no stock. I went to Nippon Automotive Ltd and they posted to me next day delivery for £222. I think LambdaPower's sensor was a high quality aftermarket product, Nippons is Toyota's Denso 89463-20070. Thank you Nippon Automotive. Toyota wanted £335.

No Problem Kon! - Happy to Help. Hope the Toyota is going well.

Dec ***********************

• 2 weeks later...
Update.

Thanks again Dec

Yes the car is going well. The fuel consumption is good but the midrange is different. The fueling made it a bit quicker. Now it is on full lean mode the car is back to what is was before. A little more gas is needed to do the same thing. The car still drives well though. I notice that I am getting the same or better economy than the newer diesels on a thread about fuel economy. 37mpg in town!

When I first enquired about the Avensis self diagnostics, I had read about the Carina having self diagnostics and the Haynes manual detailing it.

I have the Haynes manual for the Avensis and they state that ecu can only be interogated by garages & mechanics with diagnostic equipment. That only applies to post 2000 (vvti) Avensis. What Haynes should have done if they knew what I know now, is copy the Carina self diagnostic chapter to the Avensis manual with the amendment to socket and location.

The forum is very useful because we would not know or learn anything. That's how I found out about the dome fuse stopping the central locking from working. Plus this topic of onboard diagnostics.

My next thing is why are the door strips so brittle? That is another story.

• 1 year later...
Update.

Thanks again Dec

Yes the car is going well. The fuel consumption is good but the midrange is different. The fueling made it a bit quicker. Now it is on full lean mode the car is back to what is was before. A little more gas is needed to do the same thing. The car still drives well though. I notice that I am getting the same or better economy than the newer diesels on a thread about fuel economy. 37mpg in town!

When I first enquired about the Avensis self diagnostics, I had read about the Carina having self diagnostics and the Haynes manual detailing it.

I have the Haynes manual for the Avensis and they state that ecu can only be interogated by garages & mechanics with diagnostic equipment. That only applies to post 2000 (vvti) Avensis. What Haynes should have done if they knew what I know now, is copy the Carina self diagnostic chapter to the Avensis manual with the amendment to socket and location.

The forum is very useful because we would not know or learn anything. That's how I found out about the dome fuse stopping the central locking from working. Plus this topic of onboard diagnostics.

My next thing is why are the door strips so brittle? That is another story.

This is my earlier post about the leanburn sensor under my earlier membership before I forgot the password. I hope it helps with the current leanburn sensor topic. :thumbsup:

The car is running well unlike the vvti engines, with their oil burning issues, and now the Toyota throttle issues. Come to think of it, even the diesels have had their share of problems with the EGR valves and the 2.2 head gaskets. I know that other makers cars are probably worse.

Is my next car a Toyota? This forum may help me decide! :unsure:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links