Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Maintenance - 4.2, Jacking Points

shcm

In addition to the information supplied in the owner's manual, here is some information on the vehicle jacking points for the RAV 4.2.

Please remember:

• Don't jack up a heavily loaded vehicle.
  • If you're removing a heavy part (e.g. engine), the centre of gravity of the vehicle is likely to shift as you do it.
  • Don't work under a vehicle just supported by the jack - it's not worth the risk.
  • Use correctly placed wheel chocks if appropriate.

Above all, always follow the appropriate safety precautions.

jack1.jpg

jack2.jpg

jack3.jpg

Note: the central rear jacking position for the 4.2 is the diff carrier and not the diff itself.

The information is supplied in good faith, but TOC and any of its members accept no liability for any damage, injury or loss sustained through use of the information provided.

Please work safely.

• 3 years later...

RAV4 fittrd with side step bars. With side bars fitted it is not possible to locate jack on sills as indicated on article. In my case where should the jack be best placed to support vehicle.

RAV4 fittrd with side step bars. With side bars fitted it is not possible to locate jack on sills as indicated on article. In my case where should the jack be best placed to support vehicle.

I thought you should be able to - my old RAV had the side steps, but could still use the jacking points.

Admittedly the amount of tyre shops who would jack the suspension 3 foot in the air before realising the RAV wasn't lifting, were many. You had to feel for the points rather than try and visually locate them.

As-an-aside, a tip for those dark winter nights when you have a puncture. If you have discretely white painted the location of the jacking points beforehand, it will be easier to find them than hunting around for them in the rain.

Or get roadside assistance :)

Might be that your side steps are aftermarket rather than Toyota originals. Worth checking.

• 8 months later...

Might be that your side steps are aftermarket rather than Toyota originals. Worth checking.

The side step bars are Toyota original fitted sometime after the car was purchased.

The side step bars are Toyota original fitted sometime after the car was purchased.

Going by memory, just forward and slightly inboard of the side steps at the front end there is a very sturdy suspension / chassis crossmember where I jacked wifes up with ease, albeit the trolley jack had to be at its absolute minimum to clear the sidestep and get under said crossmember.

Even easier from directly behind her car to jack up on a similar strong position.....and apologies.....I have just presumed you have or can borrow a trolley jack V2......MAKES LIFE SO MUCH EASIER, EVEN FOR EEJITS LIKE ME, and I know you will be using your axle stands.....

Big Kev

• 1 month later...

Hi

Got some axle stands, but only the car supplied jack is available to me.

I need to have a look at the front brakes (using the other guide) and looking at the information above, the jacking point and place to put the axle stand seem to be the same?

Will I be able to jack the RAV high enough (safely) to get the axle stand in and any tips on how I should do this?

Thanks

Tim

jack the car under the sill with the supplied jack then put the axle stand under the back of the subframe where it is bolted to the body. Lower the jack until mostt of the weight is on the axle stand but keep the jack under pressure as a belt and braces job.

Tim

Jack the car under the sill with the supplied jack then put the axle stand under the back of the subframe where it is bolted to the body. Lower the jack until mostt of the weight is on the axle stand but keep the jack under pressure as a belt and braces job.

Done - thanks Anchorman. Just for information - the car jack specifies the suspension bolt as the jacking point via a sticker on it. But the sill jack point above is in the owners hand book.

I also found that the car jack with the supplied long handle can actually reach the central jacking point, so long as you are happy to lie on the ground to do it. So I was able to get an axle stand in on each side to be safe. Useful to know though...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links