Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Discs

Steve_Marsh

AVENSIS DISCS ONLY LASTING 30,000 MILES

Having reached 30,000 miles, I took my 54 Plate Avensis 2litre petrol in for it's service. I was horrified to receive a phone call from the garage, telling me I needed FOUR new brake discs + pads (with the service over £700).

I am over 50, never in a hurry and use the engine to slow down where I can.

I complained to Toyota UK that this was not what I expected from a Toyota and they assured me this was quite normal!!

My previous Vauhall Cavalier went over 100,000 without needing any new discs.

What they did say, was that they now make a harder surfaced disc.

But two weeks after having my new discs all round, I noticed they were already getting scratched on the front.

Their response was that they must have fitted the older discs.

So if there is any truth in this story of theirs, insist on the latest design, else budget for £700 every 30,000 miles.

Steve

Having reached 30,000 miles, I took my 54 Plate Avensis 2litre petrol in for it's service. I was horrified to receive a phone call from the garage, telling me I needed FOUR new brake discs + pads (with the service over £700).

I complained to Toyota UK that this was not what I expected from a Toyota and they assured me this was quite normal!!

But two weeks after having my new discs all round, I noticed they were already getting scratched on the front.

So if there is any truth in this story of theirs, insist on the latest design, else budget for £700 every 30,000 miles.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I can't comment in so far as my own Avensis is concerned as it is still pretty new and hasn't covered many miles. What I can say is that my brother had to have the discs on his VW Passat replaced twice under warranty due to warping having covered just 9,000 and 14,000 miles respectively. Like Mr T, VW stated that they now made a disc with a more consistent (hard) surface and since the second set were fitted he has had little problem. Perhaps you were just unlucky and had a set of rogue discs .......... would have been nice if Toyota had contributed to the cost given the age of the car! Hope the new set gets you to 100k at least!

TeyaDog

Steve

30000 miles seems a very low amount of miles for disks, the pads maybe will bw getting low at 30000. It does all depend on the diffrent compounds, if the pads are harder, the disks will last less.

Having said that I've just had my '05 serviced by Mr T and they said I needed new disks on the front, and pads all around. I knew the disks were below limits at the front, but the pads had alot of life on them. So I guess they just wanted more of my cash. So I changed the parts myslef for the grand total of £120. As aposed to the £120 just for the front disks, not including fitting. let alone the fluid change and pads at another large sum of money.. I guess thats the cost of having Mr t's stamp in the log.

30,000 miles for discs these days it actually quite good!

Since asbestos was removed from brakes all sorts of compounds have been used. Make it too soft and the pads wear out and ruin the discs, make them too hard and the pad wears the disc away, it's a very fine balance. Some brand new cars are suffering scored discs after only a few days on the road, which has to be said is totally rubbish!

tccar: Your discs were below limits, but the pads were not. I would not expect your dealer to fit old pads back onto new discs, that is asking for trouble, you should never do that

If you want me to price discs and pads, PM me your vehicle chassis number, we can probably save you quite a bit on genuine parts

Kingo :thumbsup:

tccar: Your discs were below limits, but the pads were not. I would not expect your dealer to fit old pads back onto new discs, that is asking for trouble, you should never do that

If you want me to price discs and pads, PM me your vehicle chassis number, we can probably save you quite a bit on genuine parts

I realise that it's not good to put new disks with old pads, I did replace them all. The garage said I required new rear pads, they had a good amount of material remaining.

I asked for a price on some disks and pads from you, Still have no reply. Still all done now.

I asked for a price on some disks and pads from you, Still have no reply

Sorry if you had no reply from me, I get around 150 PM's per month for parts prices and advice, plus around 10 emails per day via our website. On occasions I don't get the PM's, I'm not sure if that is a shortfall in the TOC system or in an individuals system. I personally respond to EVERY request via TOC or email, if I receive them!

If anybody needs to contact me, I can be contacted by email here, which comes to me via our website. Mention Toyota owners club in the body of your text

Steve

hello mate

all i can say that i can ot be agreed with the above statements. i have got 97k (km) on the clock and i only change pads. thhe braking discs are the original yet.

i do not belive it that 30k is th elife time. you must be the SCHUMAKHER to wear all discs :D . i also slow down by the enigne and have no such problem. even the cars models are diferent but the discs manufacturing technology remains the same with disc metal formula (!). i only use toyota pads as originals installed at offical MrT dealer. the only problem with discs i presume or you brake with metal pads.

cheers/igor

Hi

I have just had mine serviced (10,000mls) and the discs and pads were changed at no cost as the discs were scored. This was due to a faulty batch of pads that had too much metal in them. Great service form Lindops, Queensferry - as expected.

Great service form Lindops, Queensferry - as expected.

Of course :blush: :D:

Hi

I have a 56 Avensis 2.2 Diesel estate, just had my 20000 miles service and all 4 brake discs need replaced due to scoring. They were skimmed by the dealer before I took delivery of the car with 9000 miles on the clock, in May07. Informed by the service manager that it was due to the softer materials that Toyota are using for better braking efficiency. They are getting replaced under warranty, but it seems a bit strange that is is becoming a more common problem.

Also my Mother has an 05 Corrola, just got her 30000k service done, she has done 1200 miles since she took delivery of the car in August and she was also informed that all 4 brake discs would need renewed. Again before she took delivery of the car the brake discs were skimmed.

This was from the same dealer in Dumfries. Is this normal?

Richard

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links