Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can I Paint My Front Spoiler Trim ?

butterman

Below is a link to my online album, can't work out how on earth to use the image upload function on this forum :censor: (I have now :lol: )

http://photoextras.virginmedia.com/album/7779489

22075522f36bcb53cd39715d12c2df41a57a99b835ebd403f852dbd888be9818e5240191.jpg

As you can see I had to remove the front TTE lip/spoiler as it was just to low and replace it with the standard black trim :(

I was wondering if it would be possible topaint the black lip to match the colour of the rest of the bumper? Has anybody else done this?

Also, i was wondering if there are any other 'shorter' front lips available on the market for the Corolla?

Thank

Yes there's no reason you can't paint it.

DIY job if you're confident - take your time, sand it down well and prep with primer. Get the paint made up, a few coats with lots of drying time and some lacquer.

Or get it done at a bodyshop. If you're going the bodyshop route you might want to get them to respray the whole bumper - it will match the rest of the car better afterwards. There seems to be some issues on Thunder Grey with colour match of bumpers and body (mine is like yours, and if you look at thunder greys on auto trader you'll see quite a few). The paint reacts differently on plastic and you can end up with poor colour match.

My rear bumper was the same but I had it resprayed when I was getting a dent taken out of the rear quarter - bodyshop guy said some metallic paints react differently on plastic so you actually need to use a different colour to that you use on the metal. Rear bumper looks spot on now, I might get the front one resprayed eventually too. Along with the black trim!

Hey there,

If you aren't using the TTE front splitter would you be interested in selling it?

Yours,

MX

Cool yours got side skirts & a 5dr model not very often these 2 combinations :) dont know of any 'shorter' front lip apart from JDM ones u cant get here. any reason why TTE one was removed, car lowered so bit low? im getting mine lowered soon & Thinking to order TTE lip soon & how is the TTE one fitted on, does it require removal of tha original black one?

Cool yours got side skirts & a 5dr model not very often these 2 combinations :) dont know of any 'shorter' front lip apart from JDM ones u cant get here. any reason why TTE one was removed, car lowered so bit low? im getting mine lowered soon & Thinking to order TTE lip soon & how is the TTE one fitted on, does it require removal of tha original black one?

The prvious owner had the full 'works' done on the car B) TTE side skirts, TTE front lip and TTE lowered springs. I only drove the car for two weeks until my head ruled my heart and decided to remove the lip as it was scraping EVERYWHERE :unsure: Trust me, it was low. For me, it was easier (and cheaper :lol: ) to just have the lip removed than put the original springs back on. Car still looks nice lowered !!

Its easy to fit, the original black trims can be removed by loosening the bolts from the underside (use a mirror to locate them) and just simply slide it off - and the lip can be fitted by using the same bolts.

Hey there,

If you aren't using the TTE front splitter would you be interested in selling it?

Yours,

MX

Now that is a very good question ;) Not sure really - still trying to find out how much these are going for. Although, at the moment it's just gathering dust in the shed so I would be inclined to say YES !!

Below is a link to my online album, can't work out how on earth to use the image upload function on this forum :censor: (I have now :lol: )

As you can see I had to remove the front TTE lip/spoiler as it was just to low and replace it with the standard black trim :(

I was wondering if it would be possible topaint the black lip to match the colour of the rest of the bumper? Has anybody else done this?

Also, i was wondering if there are any other 'shorter' front lips available on the market for the Corolla?

Thank

The original front trim is almost certainly Polypropylene, in which case the surface needs 'exciting' to achieve good paint adhesion. This is normally achieved by flaming and not really a do-it-yourself process. Plus, this component is likely to get a battering from road salt and chippings and so really needs the paint baking as well. All pointing to a bodyshop solution I'm afraid.

How about getting a SR front spoiler, much smaller than the CTS, but look better than the black?

Hmmmm......interesting ! Tell me more.......

How much do they cost? Do you have to buy them from Toyota? Do the come ready painted?

Mine came as part of the car, standard SR spec, but would imagine they are available through Mr T parts (others on here will be in a better position to answer that question though).

I've added a pic of it below...

SR_TINT2.jpg

But his is a prefacelift model, unless of course it fits a prefacelift which i be interested in as a alternative.......

Thank

The original front trim is almost certainly Polypropylene, in which case the surface needs 'exciting' to achieve good paint adhesion. This is normally achieved by flaming and not really a do-it-yourself process. Plus, this component is likely to get a battering from road salt and chippings and so really needs the paint baking as well. All pointing to a bodyshop solution I'm afraid.

Thanks for that comprehensive reply - i'm gonna try and get some quotes at the weekend. Hope its not too expensive - and i don't think I would even have to leave my car with them - just give them the trims ?

Seems strange - you managed with the front lip for 4 years and I couldn't even manage 2 weeks :(

How are you anayway?

I painted my lower spoiler. I couldn't afford th TTE one so i painted the standard trim.

The only thing i will say is it will look alot nicer if you have them primed with a high build primer, then sanded before painting.

The reason for this is that the trims are textured plastic and if you just paint them you won't get the same finish as the rest of the bumper.

Dont forget to use a plastic primer first or it will flake off!!

Good luck mate. ;)

I painted my lower spoiler. I couldn't afford th TTE one so i painted the standard trim.

The only thing i will say is it will look alot nicer if you have them primed with a high build primer, then sanded before painting.

The reason for this is that the trims are textured plastic and if you just paint them you won't get the same finish as the rest of the bumper.

Dont forget to use a plastic primer first or it will flake off!!

Good luck mate. ;)

Thanks, have you got any pics of your car? be nice to see what it would look like once painted

i assume the TTE front lip on ebay is yours???

:thumbsup:

Yep. its mine !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links