Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Double Locking On Xt-r

Winstanley

I've had my XT-R for 10 days now and according to the owners manual I can double lock the car by pressing the lock button on the key twice within 5 seconds.

The manual also states that it should be marked on the bottom of the side front windows if double locking is a feature in the car.

According to the Toyota documentation, double locking is included on the XT-R, however I have no markings on the front side windows to show this so don't know whether I really have it.

Does anyone know how I can check whether I have it?

Many Thanks

Dave

Dave,

You almost certainly do have it. Standard on all models I believe. I can convince myself that the second "clunk" is a slightly different sound to the first.

If you stand by the rear door and lock, you can hear the rear door lock first time, but not the second (which is what it should do I believe), but the other doors do "clunk" on the second lock.

See if you can lock yourself in by pressing the key lock button twice (interior sensors disabled if you can), then try the interior door handle - it shouldn't work. This is tricky to do if you have "keyless entry" (I don't think you do) as the system detects the key is still in the vehicle.

Obviously, use key unlock button to get out :rolleyes:

Dunno whether that helps.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Leave a window open. Lock car and then reach in and try to open the door.

Do it both ways. Drop the window and press the lock button once. You shouldn't be able to open the door from the outside but lean through and open it from the inside - single locking (locked from the outside).

Next close the door and press the button twice. As shcm says there is definitely a different (more subdued) sound on the second press. The door should not unlock from the outside and when you lean through and try from the inside you will find the door handles are loose and do nothing - double locking (locked from both sides). It makes it very awkward for a car thief to steal the car or any of the contents as he/she/it has to climb in and out of the windows.

N.B. As shcm says - don't forget that you can only lean in for 30 seconds before the alarm is armed and you really upset all your neighbours!

As shcm says there is definitely a different (more subdued) sound on the second press

Thanks guys. I did hear the second quieter clunk but thought it might be the door re-locking.

I've tried it and you're right. I have also now found the testing instructions in the manual (the page after what I had been reading :blush: )

It works, what a great deterrent.

Thanks

Dave

As shcm says there is definitely a different (more subdued) sound on the second press

Thanks guys. I did hear the second quieter clunk but thought it might be the door re-locking.

I've tried it and you're right. I have also now found the testing instructions in the manual (the page after what I had been reading :blush: )

It works, what a great deterrent.

Thanks

Dave

HI Dave have you dicovered the little button on the (roof console) near your front interior lights, this turns off your interior sensors press it, light on dash flashes rapidly,then exit and lock car,dont need to hurry, this means you can lock your wife, girlfriend, dog, or mother in law in the car,Very useful. though wouldn't reccomend locking your wife and girlfriend in at the same time..unless they are very broadminded.. :rolleyes:

HI Dave have you dicovered the little button on the (roof console) near your front interior lights, this turns off your interior sensors press it, light on dash flashes rapidly,then exit and lock car,dont need to hurry, this means you can lock your wife, girlfriend, dog, or mother in law in the car,Very useful. though wouldn't reccomend locking your wife and girlfriend in at the same time..unless they are very broadminded.. :rolleyes:

Is that the alarm switch off button? I haven't tried it yet.

I need to find a girlfriend first before I can lock them both in the car together ;)

Dave

I need to find a girlfriend first before I can lock them both in the car together ;)

Dave

Winstaley......If my wife keeps on moaning at me....I could lend you her to lock in the car and see if the alarm works. :bag: ...best wait until it gets a bit warmer first though :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What part of Essex you from as well Dave......

Dave

Winstaley......If my wife keeps on moaning at me....I could lend you her to lock in the car and see if the alarm works. :bag: ...best wait until it gets a bit warmer first though :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Probably lives in one of the cottages on your estate Chatman.. :D :D

Hi Chatman,

I live in Colchester.

Hi Chatman,

I live in Colchester.

OK...I'm in Chelmsford.... Just down that nice A12 road :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Probably lives in one of the cottages on your estate Chatman..

Yea that's just out side my boundary fence... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've had my XT-R for 10 days now and according to the owners manual I can double lock the car by pressing the lock button on the key twice within 5 seconds.

The manual also states that it should be marked on the bottom of the side front windows if double locking is a feature in the car.

According to the Toyota documentation, double locking is included on the XT-R, however I have no markings on the front side windows to show this so don't know whether I really have it.

Does anyone know how I can check whether I have it?

Many Thanks

Dave

Its a bit awkward to do but this is the "double locking" sticker;

IMG_1541.jpg

I think that you can press the lock button 3 times if you want to leave your wife/ girlfriend/ dog in the car.

Don't have any of these so have not had cause to try it.

Its extremely dangerous to leave anyone in the car with the double locking set as they cannot get out or open a window. On a hot day they would be overcome in minutes.

OK...I'm in Chelmsford.... Just down that nice A12 road :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi Chatman,

I know Chelmsford well.

I used to live in Old Moulsham. Lived in Chelmsford for 8 years. My wife hails from Chelmsford so we are there often visiting family.

Dave

Its a bit awkward to do but this is the "double locking" sticker;

IMG_1541.jpg

Hi Anchorman,

I definately do not have those stickers on my windows.

Is this a standard thing to have those stickers?

The Toyota manual says they should be on the windows.

Thanks

Dave

It could be part of the pre delivery inspection but I think they are legal stickers to advise emergency services what they are dealing with. They may be amongst the items in the handbook pack but if not ask your dealer.

I certainly did not fit mine and I've had it from new.

It could be part of the pre delivery inspection but I think they are legal stickers to advise emergency services what they are dealing with. They may be amongst the items in the handbook pack but if not ask your dealer.

I certainly did not fit mine and I've had it from new.

Thanks. I've had a look through all the documentation I've been given and there are no stickers.

I'll give the dealership a call.

Its extremely dangerous to leave anyone in the car with the double locking set as they cannot get out or open a window. On a hot day they would be overcome in minutes.
Your right to point out the dangers of locking someone in your car and of course this is not something i would actually do :unsure: However if i did inadvertantly lock my missus in the car on a hot day,how many minutes do you think she would last? :oops:

The stickers are in the car when it arrives from the factory. They should be fitted when doing the PDI.

Mart.

The stickers are in the car when it arrives from the factory. They should be fitted when doing the PDI.

Mart.

Should the dealership fit these stickers or pre-delivery to the dealership?

Are the dealership likely to have spares as I guess there's only one set delivered for each car?

Dave

Mart.

:thumbsup:

If anyone interested, this is a scan of the security system setting page on the RAV 4.2 - It sounds like the 4.3 is very similar in function?

1 push - doors locked, alarm set

2 pushes - doors locked with double-locking enabled, alarm set

3 pushes - doors locked with double-locking enabled, alarm set but interior sensors disabled

NOTE: Toyota say that the 3-push option should be used if leaving occupants - animals OR People in the car - but as double-locking is activated, that seems dubious - at least for human occupants :o

TVSS_IV-D-Medium.jpg

If anyone wants a copy of said settings guide above I have one in PDF format, just PM me your email address...

Toyota Vehicle Security System TVSS V manual ref N0. T5SLSET-1-0

Mart.

Should the dealership fit these stickers or pre-delivery to the dealership?

Are the dealership likely to have spares as I guess there's only one set delivered for each car?

Dave

The stickers are usually in the glove box when the car arrives at the dealership and should be fitted at the PDI.

Im not sure the dealers will have any spare stickers but they 'may' be able to get some posted from Toyota.

Worth asking.

Mart.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links