Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Bonnet Cable

jimbob580

Hi All,

Does anybody know if it is possible to open the bonnet of my Yaris T sport without using the bonnet catch inside the car.

I think the cable has broken or slipped off the locking mechanism.

Many thanks in advance,

JIm

If the cable has come off of the handle inside the car, check where the cable is and pull with a pair of pliers, or try the old trick of getting someone to put pressure on the bonnet whilst you pull the catch.

If its snapped, grind the bonnet off :lol:

If the cable has come off of the handle inside the car, check where the cable is and pull with a pair of pliers, or try the old trick of getting someone to put pressure on the bonnet whilst you pull the catch.

If its snapped, grind the bonnet off :lol:

le

Pass the grinder, I pulled the cable and it kept on coming.

Looks like i've got big trouble :o

Thanks

Jim

Is there no way that you can access it from underneath the car?

You might find a pic of the mechanism on a similar car useful to help you see what you're doing.

A few months back (or maybe a year ago, time flies) someone had the same problem with a Celica and I posted pics of the bonnet lock on mine which helped him to figure out how to unlock it. To be honest, when I looked at the lock I thought he had no chance, but he did it.

HTH

Does anybody know if it is possible to open the bonnet of my Yaris T sport without using the bonnet catch inside the car.

Hi :)

Without wanting to dampen enthusiasm for this thread and with complete respect to Jimbob, I'm not sure whether a public forum is the right place for advertising how to open bonnets without necessarily gaining access to the inside of a car. Maybe jimbob can be PM'd with the information instead?

I know cable snapping *does* happen, I'm probably just being a little over-protective of peoples cars :)

Respect to all :) :) :)

• Like 1

Hi All,

I think the cable has broken or slipped off the locking mechanism.

Many thanks in advance,

JIm

Most bonnet locks are made hard but not impossible to open, for just this reason.

If you cant figure it out, take it to Toyota as they will have the know-how to do it with ease and supply/fit a new cable, which you will need anyway.

Most other car repair shops should be able to do it for you if T is too expensive but you may still have to go to them for the cable as it may prove elusive to find a pattern part. A used one is also an option but check it well for wear as you may end up in the same position in the near future! :(

• Like 1

Had a snapped bonnet release cable on a '54 Yaris last week. You can get the bonnet open without the cable but as said above - a public forum prob not the best place for me to say how :)

Mart.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The cable on my Yaris has broken. It has been about 4 months now waiting for the local dealer to obtain the parts from Toyota. Meanwhile we cant fill the washer bottle, or check the oil etc. Let's hope that we dont break down, or we will not be able to get the bonnet open to fix the problem.

Apperently there are 2 other customers also waiting for cables. Does anybody know why Toyota can not supply such a vital part?

Is there a design problem with this item and should Toyota be paying for the replacement? We have been quoted ove £100 to fix the problem.

The service manager suggested that it had snapped because some frost had got into the cable. Are Toyotas only for use in frost free countries - that must be very limiting, even in Japan!

• 10 months later...

Help!

I have an Aygo, and my bonnet release cable has stuck completely. Any advice on how to get the bonnet open???

Neil

• 1 year later...

Hi

Iv been recruited to fix this problem on my in laws 2005 yaris,

I would be so grateful if someone could either pm or email me with a guide to getting the bonnet open with a broken release cable.

Many thanks in advance

John

• 6 months later...

Hi folks,

I am having the same problem with my bonnet cable snapped. Can anybody PM me with details on how to open the bonnet without the using the cable please so that I can replace it.

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 years later...

i have a toyota yaris 2008 and the cable has gone . no way of opening bonnet . can anyone help ?

Last time that happpened to me was on my '84 Carina II. I'd accidently uncliped the cable from behind the internal release pull with my fingers. Managed to fix it by pulling the cable with pliers which released the bonnet, and re-clipping the cable to the back of the release pull.

Below is a top down view of my Mk2. Another member may be able to suggest an alternative if the pliers trick doesn't work.

bonnet release.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links