Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2005 D4d Power Loss

wack

Rav4 2005 D4D 99,000 miles, a couple of months ago I had a loss of power on the motorway, pulled out to overtake a truck at 60mph in top and it wouldn't go any faster then all of a sudden whoosh and we were off,it did it a couple of times over the next week or so, I took it to my mechanic who fitted a new fuel filter as no lights had come on so he thought a bit of crap had momentarily blocked the filter.

It's been fine for the last month or so until saturday when the problem returned but this time the engine management light came on but was off in the morning when it had cooled overnight , yesterday the yellow engine light came on again and there was intermittant loss of power, the car was left for 5-6 hours, on starting, no light engine OK, then on the way home the same faults and the light came back on.

I've searched on here and found some details about fuel pump faults, this car had a new fuel pump fitted by toyota in 2006 at 35,000 miles, while i've only had it since october i've known the car from new as it was the reps car.

Another member seemed to think his similar fault was down to the solenoid valves as changing the fuel filter cured it for a while but then it returned which is what's happened to mine, it also doesn't seem as powerful as it was even when it's running OK.

Is there a fault code reader that definately works with a 2005 d4d xt5 as i've read some do some don't and i'm not paying someone £100 to read it if I can find one that definately works.

Luckily Kingo is only 20 miles away so I can collect the parts I need if I can identify the fault.

Thanks

Wack

This will definitely read your codes (£30 delivered);

http://www.ecufix.com/shop/index.php?main_...products_id=193

The normal supplier (Talk to my car) seems to be off line but the above would do or any similar.

Those symptoms have popped up with SCV valves, turbos and turbo control so I would want the codes first too.

EDIT; This is the one I have and have tried it on a 2005 diesel;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=200225665360

Wack

This will definitely read your codes (£30 delivered);

http://www.ecufix.com/shop/index.php?main_...products_id=193

The normal supplier (Talk to my car) seems to be off line but the above would do or any similar.

Those symptoms have popped up with SCV valves, turbos and turbo control so I would want the codes first too.

EDIT; This is the one I have and have tried it on a 2005 diesel;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=200225665360

Thanks anchorman, :thumbsup: i've just rung my mechanic and surprisingly he's in on a bank holiday monday, he's informed me he's just bought a reader so i'm going to take it to him, is there a list of what the codes mean anywhere

He should have a book with the generic ones (applicable to all makes) but the generic and Toyota specific are in here;

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

Some of the diesel ones are not in here but I may be able to decode it for you if you struggle. I can't give you a link as they are on my computer.

He should have a book with the generic ones (applicable to all makes) but the generic and Toyota specific are in here;

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

Some of the diesel ones are not in here but I may be able to decode it for you if you struggle. I can't give you a link as they are on my computer.

thanks again :toast:

Hi Anchorman, i've been and had the code read, it's P0627 the code reader he had said "Fuel pump control circuit open"on the LCD screen, i can't find this code listed on the link you gave me, is this the one that tells you the pump solenoids are goosed

he cleared it but within 5 miles on the motorway the light was back on

Hmmmm

is it a 5 door diesel?

These are notorious!

Hmmmm

is it a 5 door diesel?

These are notorious!

yes it's a 5 door diesel 2.0 d4d

Bothwell has a general dislike for all things RAV4 5 door like... So he's just teasing with his post :!Removed!: :!Removed!: :!Removed!:

Anchorman will no doubt confirm the codes.. he has the best knowledge of these things... Hope the symptoms turn out OK....Keep us all posted on what ever you do...

Hmmmm

is it a 5 door diesel?

These are notorious!

yes it's a 5 door diesel 2.0 d4d

Bothwell has a general dislike for all things RAV4 5 door like... So he's just teasing with his post :!Removed!: :!Removed!: :!Removed!:

Anchorman will no doubt confirm the codes.. he has the best knowledge of these things... Hope the symptoms turn out OK....Keep us all posted on what ever you do...

I thought that after I posted, what difference does the amount of doors make :rolleyes:

Hello Wack

Yes it would seem so;

0627.jpg

Now, there are some diagnostic checks that will help you confirm the fault but if you want them you'll have to pm me with your email address because there are several pages of pdf. You can see that the faults relate to low fuel pressure but as it can be caused by open/short circuits and ECU it might help take them out of the equation. If you need the scv valves, kingo will supply them for £185.30 inc VAT and carriage (Pt No 04221-27011).

Good luck

you have a PM :thumbsup:

You have an email!!!

you have a PM :thumbsup:

You have an email!!!

This is getting tense stuff here now...........

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Received the SCV valves today, I must say Im was quite surprised Kingo sent £185 worth of parts 1st class post, luckily I received them OK but if they got lost it'd be an expensive mistake

Had the job done today, it was pretty simple, what a difference, as soon as I drove out of the garage it was apparent this was the cure to the fault, much more power now, thanks for all the advice :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links