Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Easy Fit Cordless Reversing Camera And Screen

dave.m

I was going to fit parking sensors to my Rav, but could not be rrrs'd taking the rear bumper off so I thought I would give

a reversing camera a try instead. There are plenty to be had, especially on fleabay, but the type I was looking at was in

Maplins for £140. A bit expensive compared to the fleabay type which are wired. I say wired because this type have a

connection between camera and screen, which I did not want. I ended up with a cordless kit from Costco intended for

the American market, price £50 + VAT.

So here goes, first of all I trial kitted the parts to batteries to find best position of camera and rear view I wanted. I used

bluetak and had the camera pointing straight back, which gave a perfect view of everything behind me, but not what I

really wanted. Only need a view of the area right at the crown of the bumper which as you know is quite difficult to judge

in your 4.3. So changed position of camera to facing down at approx 15 degree angle which was ideal for what I wanted.

So fitting procedure, first carefully remove rear door interior trim, and disconnect the useless courtesy light and peel back

the polythene like so -

100_0573.jpg

Put your hand inside and disconnect the plug for the number plate lights. Then loosen the 3 off 10 MM nuts that hold the

exterior trim with number plate lights, go round to outside of door and carefully pop the 5 clips still holding the trim on.

Your door will then look like this-

100_0574.jpg

Next is the camera itself I painted it silver as I did not know how much of it I was going to have showing. But as it turned

out I needn't have bothered. Anyway the thing is designed to fit big American number plates so you need to trim of some

of the excess plastic. -

100_0575.jpg

Now using a hole saw drill a hole in the trim between the two number plate lights, if your handy you can then elongate the

hole a bit. If not use a file. -

100_0576.jpg

Next fit the camera through the hole tilting it to one side (the rear facing side) keep masking tape on the lens at this stage

to stop scratches. I was giong to make some fancy brackets to attach the camera, but its not neccessary. Just used some

big dollops of mastic glue as you can see in this messy photo. -

100_0578.jpg

Ok when glue is hard, re-fit the number plate trim, feed the cable through the grommet hole for the lights into back door

cavity. Screw the 10 MM nuts back in place and clean off any x/s glue, so back door should now look like this.-

100_0580.jpg

In drivers side of boot area, remove the trim which allows access to replace rear light bulbs. Using a piece of wire, thread

the camera cable from rear door cavity, through the rubber flexible conduit into the area you removed access trim from.

In the next photo you will see a piece of plastic flexible trunking, there is a split in it. Open it up and seperate the two red

wires. Using a test lamp, with car in reverse and ignition on, find which one of the two is the reversing light cable. When

done connect the red wire from camera to this wire, I have temporarilly used a crappy scotch connector as I forgot who

I have loaned my soldering Iron and the James Hunt hasn't returned it. Next connect the black wire from camera to earth.

100_0572.jpg

Ok thats the hard bit done, clip all your wires and re-fit trim panels. Remember to re-connect your number plate light plug

and interior light. Now to the screen, its about the size of a Tom Tom and quite light. I haven't made final decision as to

where I'm putting it. So temporarilly its stuck to my sun visor and wired to vanity mirror light, but I have to change this as

that is a permanent live. The problem is getting it out of sight in case some little pikey barsteward thinks its a satnav and

tries to steal it. So need to think about that, but maybe sunvisor is best place for it. Anyway looks like this. -

100_0581.jpg

As you can or cant see on photo, image is very clear. The view I wanted was of the edge of middle of bumper and about

three feet back as you can see in photo roughly the size of the slabs. But thats my preference, the screen is also adjustable

to get mirror image, brightness and contrast etc. So for £50 well worth it and easy to fit, jobs a good un :thumbsup:

Great Job Dave :thumbsup::toast:

Lovely the text, very descriptive and entertaining :D

Nice job there, Dave :thumbsup:

You could mount in behind you by the rear door maybe? Depends if you will still turn round and look behind you when reversing?

Dave

I think it should be pinned, have you asked the mods'?

Regards

PS there is an ignition feed in the switch console for the sun roof. Have a look in the dipping mirror thread.

Thanks for comments guys :thumbsup:

Hoovie, I had the camera everywhere before deciding where it should go, including inside the back window. But if the

window is dirty then its NFU. Because the camera has wide angle lens, if you stick it flat against back door you get a

field of vision thats wider than the Rav. Because I mounted it pointing down the way it narrows the field down a good

bit. But thats the trade off of getting the view you want (for me the bit that will hit :wacko: ).

Anchorman, thanks for tip, now sorted. :thumbsup: oh, and happy hols :D

Dave - sorry mate. I actually meant the display behind you or maybe even the back window, not the actual camera.

Just thinking about what you said about still trying to decide best postiion for display and then thinking how most people naturally position themselves when reversing. Have you found that having a camera has meant you use that when reversing, or do you keep alternating between lookign at display and looking behind physically?

What about the display set inside the hole inside the rear head restraint on the seat behind passenger? (if the 4.3 RAVs have hols in the head rests?) - that could be quite stealth, especially if you filled in the other hole with something (and if you don't tend to carry rear seat passengers, of course :) )

Dave - sorry mate. I actually meant the display behind you or maybe even the back window, not the actual camera.

Just thinking about what you said about still trying to decide best postiion for display and then thinking how most people naturally position themselves when reversing. Have you found that having a camera has meant you use that when reversing, or do you keep alternating between lookign at display and looking behind physically?

What about the display set inside the hole inside the rear head restraint on the seat behind passenger? (if the 4.3 RAVs have hols in the head rests?) - that could be quite stealth, especially if you filled in the other hole with something (and if you don't tend to carry rear seat passengers, of course :) )

AAA get you now mate, never actually thought of that one. Problem is, the screen not being that big, plus the mid forties eyesight

scenario means I need it a bit closer. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

AAA get you now mate, never actually thought of that one. Problem is, the screen not being that big, plus the mid forties eyesight

scenario means I need it a bit closer. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think the position you have it is ideal. It conceals it and and you don't need to see forward while you are reversing so having the blind fully extended doesn't matter about the forward view being impared. It would be interesting to disect the sun visor. If the screen will come apart maybe you could trap the fabric of the visor between the two halves of the screen and feed the wire in through the mounting where the wire goes in? - fully fitted into the visor.

Might be an idea to price one off kingo first though!

That is a very good idea - potentially you could strip the plastic casing off the display (back and maybe front as well?) to make it slimmer; remove the mirror in the sunvisor and fit the display in its place.

Then you could retain the mirror sliding cover to show/hide the display :thumbsup:

That is a very good idea - potentially you could strip the plastic casing off the display (back and maybe front as well?) to make it slimmer; remove the mirror in the sunvisor and fit the display in its place.

Then you could retain the mirror sliding cover to show/hide the display :thumbsup:

.....and just how do you suppose Dave Bond is going to prepare himself for cruising with no mirror? B)

.....and just how do you suppose Dave Bond is going to prepare himself for cruising with no mirror? B)

Hmmmmm, thats got me thinking. It would be good to have the screen sunk in a bit and hide the wire, would really tidy

things up.

Mirror ? whats that ? (mid forties thing again, will leave the cool stuff to the younger members :lol::lol: )

Dave - you know what else you have done? You have made me plan in a trip to costco to get the same kit!!

I have have a reversing sensor kit in the garage for about 5 months now waiting to be fitted but been putting it off for same reason you had.

Wireless Camera is much better :thumbsup:

I was going to fit parking sensors to my Rav, but could not be rrrs'd taking the rear bumper off
I have have a reversing sensor kit in the garage for about 5 months now waiting to be fitted but been putting it off for same reason you had.

Hoovie, I know it looks a bit of a pain to have the bumper off, but having just taken the front bumper etc off my better half's 4.2, :hammer: I'd honestly say it was dead easy (just in case you wanted to know!!) Probably no more difficult than Dave's rear door dismantling

Dave - you know what else you have done? You have made me plan in a trip to costco to get the same kit!!

Good stuff :thumbsup: where you gonna put it ? (not in garage for 5 months I hope :lol: )

Why not fit both ? As robert says it aint such a hard job on 4.2.

Good stuff :thumbsup: where you gonna put it ? (not in garage for 5 months I hope :lol: )

Why not fit both ? As robert says it aint such a hard job on 4.2.

Maybe I could store it next to the headlamp covers I bought 18 months ago :rolleyes:

If I fit the camera, then I would probably fit the reversing sensors to the wifes Punto :)

Dave, some good stuff - I think you are rapidly approaching equivalent T180 Spec with all those mods :yes::thumbsup:

Better in fact - you don't have the flocking run flats :lol:

When are you doing the engine transplant? :D

However, for the reversing camera screen position, I think you are going to have to wire the camera output up to a pair of these (cheap at half the price):

http://www.4hiddenspycameras.com/eyeglmo.html

B) :P

I expect those would be completely disorientating resulting in anybody wearing them, always reversing into something, but maybe they would look cool while doing it :unsure:. Maybe not. :lol:

Cheers :thumbsup:

Ok, heres an update for anyone who's interested. It was bugging my rrr's the monitor stuck on to surface on sun visor.

So I bit bit the bullet and decided to cut into the visor and sink the screen in flush. Never a great idea to start chopping

up the upholstery on a 7 month old car :wacko: but what the heck in for a penny and all that. The visor is hollow so I

just cut a square in it the size of the monitor and stuck it in with number plate tape. Its now flush, but the problem now ?

The upholstered bit of the visor is all cuts and tatty looking. So I made a small ally trim in work to surround it. Did not like

this when I put it on, so went to a local craft shop and bought stuff called Funky Foam, cost 59p and almost identical colour.

Cut out shape and stuck it on using mount glue and Bobs your uncle, job done.

Now the really bad news, when taking off the sun visor, if you ever decide to do it think twice. :yes::yes::yes::yes:

What a sh^t of a job, thought it was a case of popping off the cover and taking out a couple of screws :no::no::no:

As the little cover was falling to bits as it was coming off I soon realised it was a fiddly clip and and spring affair. Tried

putting it back together but no go, patience was getting thin so I made up a small steel plate with tapped holes and put

back using a couple of cap screws. So all is now well, except the plastic cover which was in bits. But hey used a piece

of the same foam cut to shape and stuck on to hide damage.

100_0584.jpg

100_0585.jpg

Job finished, but alas anyone who still wants to use mirror and light this aint no good for you. Both now defunct.

Sure must be great to be clever !!!!!

Sure must be great to be clever !!!!!

Excuse me! :angry:

• 9 months later...

Dave, interested to see how you got on! I have bought a wireless camera kit from Maplin to fit to a 4.2 but haven't had the courage to fit it yet. The main dealer quoted £450 for fitting sensors, a real rip off for something that needs to be standard equipment!

Dave, interested to see how you got on! I have bought a wireless camera kit from Maplin to fit to a 4.2 but haven't had the courage to fit it yet. The main dealer quoted £450 for fitting sensors, a real rip off for something that needs to be standard equipment!

I fitted a reversing camera to my 4.2

Mine was actually a flush mount one and involved drilling a 20mm hole to push it in and then needed to route the cable, etc. 

Long as you are patient and take it logically, then it is pretty strightforward and not much can go wrong. There are lots of different ways to do this, so feel free to ask if you need any pointers :thumbsup:  

Mine was actually a flush mount one and involved drilling a 20mm hole to push it in and then needed to route the cable, etc.

Long as you are patient and take it logically, then it is pretty strightforward and not much can go wrong. There are lots of different ways to do this, so feel free to ask if you need any pointers :thumbsup:

Thanks Hoovie! Mine clips onto the numberplate and glues to it from the rear, but needs a hole to be drilled through into the rear door, only about 0.25" across. Looking at the way others have done it, my first question is do I need to take the whole bottom outer door trim off or can I just take the inside trim off and drill from that side? Is there metal behind all that painted plastic?

Thanks Hoovie! Mine clips onto the numberplate and glues to it from the rear, but needs a hole to be drilled through into the rear door, only about 0.25" across. Looking at the way others have done it, my first question is do I need to take the whole bottom outer door trim off or can I just take the inside trim off and drill from that side? Is there metal behind all that painted plastic?

A good question.  When you take off the inner trim - only held on by poppers and easy to do - you will be able to get a clear view of what you can access from the inside out.

I my case I removed the trim - but that is very simple to do - see the post here to see how - as I needed to get more access, but if you are pushing though a wire I reckon you can easily fish around from it fron inside.  Personally I would take the inner door trim off, see it I can get to where I want the wire to some through and then go from there (ie - take off out trim if I can access it), but I reckon you will need to drill from outside - much easier and more precise.

A good question. When you take off the inner trim - only held on by poppers and easy to do - you will be able to get a clear view of what you can access from the inside out.

I my case I removed the trim - but that is very simple to do - see the post here to see how - as I needed to get more access, but if you are pushing though a wire I reckon you can easily fish around from it fron inside. Personally I would take the inner door trim off, see it I can get to where I want the wire to some through and then go from there (ie - take off out trim if I can access it), but I reckon you will need to drill from outside - much easier and more precise.

Why thank you for the information! Maybe I will have a go tomorrow if the rain holds off!

Glad you like it Mike :thumbsup:

As I remember on the 4.2, the camera goes on the right hand side of the number plate. Its worth sticking the camera with

bluetack to find the ideal position thats suits.If its pointing straight back, thats the view you will get. As you see from mine I

have it pointing down at an angle as the I wanted to see the edge of the bumper and not the whole area behind. Not sure

how your camera mounts, but if you want to do it this way you just need to elongate the hole to accomodate the camera

sitting at an angle. You can use a hot melt glue gun or mastic gun type adhesive blob to stick in place. Good luck :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links