Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mmt Fuel Saving

A.Chan

I was just wondering with the fuel prices going thru and the roof and no plans in slowing down which MMT setting is best to use to try and save fuel? I remember someone mentioning it but cant remember where or what.

Is it E, ES, or M? I normally use M mode

Hallo A

We have now driven our AURIS TR 1.6 MMT for over 13 months and done more than 9000 miles. If our on-board computer operates correctly we are averaging just about what it says in the AURIS brochure for Combined Driving, namely 41 mpg or 6.9 litres/100km. In winter the figure was around 39.8 mpg or 7.1 litres/100km which still is very good.

And this good fuel milage we achieve in West Wales with our often steep hills between villages and small towns. In fact, the fuel mileage has improved as the car got run in.

Maybe a lot has to do with the way we drive our car. Having had cars with conventional automatic transmissions for the past 30 years we both may have a different laid back driving style from the majority of UK drivers who have only ever driven cars with manual gear boxes. It must be quite a learning curve coming to the MMT from a manual gear box even for drivers used to fully automatic gear boxes.

Now to your question about the best gear setting:

We use 'R', 'N' and 'E' modes. In fact I have put a sticker over the 'E' with a 'D' as my wife got a little confused, having been used to 'D' for many years if you want to go forward.

Very infrequently we press the button for the 'Es' mode before we approach a steep hills or at large diameter urban roundabouts where some drivers entering the circle expect you to accelerate from 0 mph to near their often senselessly high speeds in these roundabouts.

Neither my wife nor I have ever once moved the transmission lever to the 'M' position on the right, we just have no use for it. Also when we bought the car we must have paid for the two paddles attached to the steering wheel which may be fine for Fomula 1 cars but, not ever using the 'M' mode, we just regard them as a pointless sales gimmick and a bit beneath what Toyota stands for.

So, here you have it. We get good fuel mileage, drive in a non agressive style and enjoy our AURIS MMT and are very happy with it.

Kind regards Hal

Well, I have an MMT aswell and very pleased although I see no reason to write pages up og pages down to express this, something that the critics do. MMT have lots more of happy customers than it seems in this forum :)

Use the paddles, you will find lovely smooth gear changes, you will never do anything else after using them

Kingo :thumbsup:

MMT have lots more of happy customers than it seems in this forum :)

True.

I’ve posted quite a few comments in the past about the Auris’ MMT – ranging from negative to positive. I occasionally check this site to see if there are any new threads/comments regarding MMT and have (up to now) desisted from making any further comment as I’m now very happy with my car (including fuel economy and performance). I thought, however, that as a new thread had been started, I’d make a further – and probably last – contribution.

It seems to me that there are mainly two groups of MMT owners: i.e. those who have exclusively driven full automatics for many years and those who have mainly or exclusively driven cars with manual transmission. In my case, I drove manual cars exclusively for thirty years and never tried an automatic. In 2004, however, I thought I’d get an automatic and chose a Honda Civic 1.6 Auto. I was delighted with the car although I did notice a significant difference in fuel consumption - compared to previous manual cars. In 2007 I was ready to change my car, but didn’t like the design of the new Civic and decided to switch (for the first time) to Toyota and chose an Auris 1.6 MMT – foolishly without a test drive – and my fault entirely!

To cut a long story short, I was for many months extremely annoyed and disappointed with the way the car performed and was on the point of ditching it – despite the financial cost to me. I persevered, however, and now think the car is great!

My criticism (and the point of posting this comment) is the fact that the sales executive who sold me the car (I won’t name the dealership) made no attempt either prior purchase or after I’d taken delivery of the car to stress the difference between full automatic transmission and MMT - and the different driving technique(s) required. Additionally (in my opinion) unless a prospective purchaser states that they have previous experience of driving MMT (or cars with similar types of transmission) sales personnel should strongly advise a test drive before a commitment to purchase is made.

The Auris MMT is a great car. Unfortunately, it often takes a long time – including much trial, error and experimentation in using the various modes/features in conjunction with each other (and according to prevailing road/traffic conditions) – to fully adapt to and master it’s various idiosyncrasies. I know that some owners will say that this shouldn’t be necessary and, in many ways, I completely agree with them. Toyota really must consider some kind of induction for new MMT owners!

Whilst clearly I cannot comment on the longer-term reliability of this type of transmission as mine is only 13 months old – so far, however, so good!

Phil

I was just wondering with the fuel prices going thru and the roof and no plans in slowing down which MMT setting is best to use to try and save fuel? I remember someone mentioning it but cant remember where or what.

If you use the gear in Manuel mode correctly - "and changing the gear in a good timings" - there will be no different in "fuel saving" between E and M modes.

Sometimes in E mode it changed auto to the 4th and 5th gears too soon (to lower the fuel consumption) = but you are losing power and driving like OLD WOMEN IN THE OLD AUTO COROLLA ( which was O.K. car but boring for driving lovers).

I always drive in M mode and my fuel con. is 17 km/L out-city and near to 11.5 in-city - and this is supreme for "fuel saving car" like our AURIS.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the input everyone.

last few days i have been trying out all the mode I find that ES mode don't go into 5th gear even when I hit 60mph, is that suppose to happen?

thanks for the input everyone.

last few days i have been trying out all the mode I find that ES mode don't go into 5th gear even when I hit 60mph, is that suppose to happen?

Hi A Chan

This may sound stupid, but how can one tell in 'E' mode that one is using fourth, fifth or any other gear?

In this mode (not 'M') my display only says just that, namely 'E'.

Am I missing something?? Can I set the display so that it will also show the gear numbers in 'E' mode?

Kind regards Hal

I just quickly switch it to m to see what gear i am on or i sometimes count the gear changes as i feel them as car slows down when it changes gears.

• 2 weeks later...

If you use the gear in Manuel mode correctly - "and changing the gear in a good timings" - there will be no different in "fuel saving" between E and M modes.

Sometimes in E mode it changed auto to the 4th and 5th gears too soon (to lower the fuel consumption) = but you are losing power and driving like OLD WOMEN IN THE OLD AUTO COROLLA ( which was O.K. car but boring for driving lovers).

I always drive in M mode and my fuel con. is 17 km/L out-city and near to 11.5 in-city - and this is supreme for "fuel saving car" like our AURIS.

I want to ask you what your opinion about the mmt. transmission system performance, So here in Egypt we face some problem with this gear

What problems you have in Egypt -- " here in Egypt we face some problem with this gear " ???

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links