Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lightbulb Upgrade Help Needed

halfalife

Hi, i've just bought a new rav4 xtr and the dipped headlights are not the best. Could someone please tell me what the bulb code is that i need to replace?

I went to Halfords and had a look but the one they suggested didnt match????

By the way...if someone could advise me what to get and where to get them that would be even better

Thanks for your help.

Hi mate and welcome to TOC.Try doing a search this very subject was a recent thread. :thumbsup:

Hi mate and welcome to the club.

There are several upgraded bulbs available. Local Hero will look in soon and he has done some research lately so I'm sure he will comment.

The outer main beam bulb is a 9005 HB3 and the inner dipped beam bulb is a H11

To change the bulbs the easiest way is to remove the cover above the radiator as shown here;

Horns103-1.jpg

Use a small screwdriver or similar tool to depress the centre of the fixing studs;

Horns104-1.jpg

Remove the 9 studs (take care not to drop them as they are slippery!) and pull the cover back and up to remove it. This photo shows the inner bulb on the drivers side. To remove it turn it anti-clockwise;

Horns122.jpg

......and then unplug it. The most difficult one is the outer bulb (dipped beam) on the drivers side. You will find it easier to unclip the flexible spout on the washer bottle and move it to one side. Take care not to touch the glass on any of the bulbs. The grease on your fingers is enough to cause uneven cooling which will rupture the glass and blow the bulb. If you do touch it in error use a solvent based cleaner and tissue to clean it again. It is easier to fit the new bulb;

Horns123.jpg

...and then plug the wire on while it is held firmly in the headlight.

After changing all 4 bulbs you can refit the cover. Firstly you need to prepare the studs. Spread the legs of the inner pin;

Horns105-1.jpg

........and push it through until it stands about 5mm proud;

Horns106-1.jpg

Finally drop them all in and then push the inner pin flush with the top which locks them down.

Hi, i've just bought a new rav4 xtr and the dipped headlights are not the best. Could someone please tell me what the bulb code is that i need to replace?

I went to Halfords and had a look but the one they suggested didnt match????

By the way...if someone could advise me what to get and where to get them that would be even better

Thanks for your help.

Hi +welcome, the replacement bulbs are listed in your handbook, off the top of my head the main beams are HB3s+ the dips are H11s, the mains are readibly available but the only known brand that do H11s are osram nightbreaker, try this link.. http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/home.php?cat=659 They do all bulbs + deliver next day, also you get 2 free blue sidelamp bulbs with every order..Osram claim 90% brighter..THe ones at £16 give 50% brighter but 30%

more white light, I chose those, but if you don't mind the extra cost the osrams may suit you better, Enjoy your new car + post some piccies.. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for such a quick responce.......one more question......whats the score with the 4.2 / 4.3 I see littered through the forum?

Sorry for the noobness !!

BTW...i've just ordered the osrams..thanks local hero. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for such a quick responce.......one more question......whats the score with the 4.2 / 4.3 I see littered through the forum?

RAV4.1 series 1..4.2series2 and if yours is brand new4.3 series3..If it isnt brand new or 2006> then ignore my earlier reply.. :thumbsup:

RAV4.1 series 1..4.2series2 and if yours is brand new4.3 series3..If it isnt brand new or 2006> then ignore my earlier reply.. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info...its all starting to make sense now. :yes:

• 2 years later...

Apologies if I seem really thick here but I have unscrewed & removed the headlight unit to swap the bulb and have this which does not look like the pics above:

headlight unit

Where does the bulb go?

Hello Yursell Halfa,

I am sure we conversified previously on Avensis Forum a while back. Here's a wee nod that happened to me to be wary of....

Your new bulbs will come with their own wee rubber gasket / washer thing attached. When you take out the OLD bulbs, make sure that THEIR rubber washer comes away with them too, as ye cannae get the new bulbs to seat wearing two weatherproof condoms..!!! Ah bet I was the ONLY muppet this ever happened to....?

Big Kev :lol:

Hello Yursell Halfa,

I am sure we conversified previously on Avensis Forum a while back. Here's a wee nod that happened to me to be wary of....

Your new bulbs will come with their own wee rubber gasket / washer thing attached. When you take out the OLD bulbs, make sure that THEIR rubber washer comes away with them too, as ye cannae get the new bulbs to seat wearing two weatherproof condoms..!!! Ah bet I was the ONLY muppet this ever happened to....?

Big Kev :lol:

I think he may have solved his problem by now Kev - that was a post from 2008 :lol:

Aw MG......must be ma wife playing on Toyota Forum again.....sorry guys, will have a word with her....

Tiny Toaty Kev......

It's me who has the problem & not Yursell Halfa :crybaby:

I found this thread whilst trying to figure out WTF to do with my new bulbs :eek:

I found this thread whilst trying to figure out WTF to do with my new bulbs :eek:

Have you got it sorted yet? The item in your photo looked like it might be the headlight levelling unit or somesuch :unsure:

Have you got it sorted yet? The item in your photo looked like it might be the headlight levelling unit or somesuch :unsure:

No not sorted as I have no idea there the bulb is, just took that unit out of the headlight /dipped beam fitting.

That's where all the electrics go to which is confusing the hell out of me as to where I find the bulb?

No not sorted as I have no idea there the bulb is, just took that unit out of the headlight /dipped beam fitting.

That's where all the electrics go to which is confusing the hell out of me as to where I find the bulb?

Not sure what you can see but the bulb is in the middle of the big rubber 'doughnut' on the back of the light unit.

So it's separate from what I have teken out? If so, I am unsure where as like I have already stated, the electrics go in to this unit that I have taken out.

I've changed plenty of bulbs over the years but never been stumped like this before.

So it's separate from what I have teken out? If so, I am unsure where as like I have already stated, the electrics go in to this unit that I have taken out.

I've changed plenty of bulbs over the years but never been stumped like this before.

Unless someone else can help you I will have a look at mine in the morning to see if I can figure out how to guide you better :thumbsup:

I suspect (although not 100% certain) as suggested above, you have removed the headlamp levelling bit.

I've marked the positions of all the bulbs with a red dot in the pic below. You can also see the position of the levelling unit.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

headlampaim.png

Unless someone else can help you I will have a look at mine in the morning to see if I can figure out how to guide you better :thumbsup:

That would be really appreaciated :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martin

schm - it looks you are spot on - just been outside with a torch to have another look and it looks like I had taken out the auto leveling unit.

slightly confusing as if you look at the manual it says turn the connection counter clockwise whcih I did expecting to see a bulb come out as there are electrics there.

There does not appear to be any reference to do not remove or state the fact that there is a headlight leveling unit in between the main & dipped beam lights..

I will have another go now tomorrow in the daylight & let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Martin

schm - it looks you are spot on - just been outside with a torch to have another look and it looks like I had taken out the auto leveling unit.

slightly confusing as if you look at the manual it says turn the connection counter clockwise whcih I did expecting to see a bulb come out as there are electrics there.

There does not appear to be any reference to do not remove or state the fact that there is a headlight leveling unit in between the main & dipped beam lights..

I will have another go now tomorrow in the daylight & let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Martin

Thanks SCHM - I can have a bit of a lie in then :thumbsup:

You'll have the engine out next blue!!!

As Dave says that is the headlight levelling motor - put it back. If you look down the back of the headlight you will see the plugs to the bulbs in line with the bulb if you look at the front of the headlight. You do need that plastic cover off the top of the bonnet reception panel as shown in the photos near the beginning of this thread.

Looks like a bit of satellite lag affecting members in Stepps Dave. I hope he shapes a bit better next week :-)

Looks like a bit of satellite lag affecting members in Stepps Dave. I hope he shapes a bit better next week :-)

I was putting it down to the recent shift in the Earth's axis. More likely just the wrong glasses or simply senility though :rolleyes:

I was putting it down to the recent shift in the Earth's axis. More likely just the wrong glasses or simply senility though :rolleyes:

I have already apologised for my wife playing on t'forum....what else can I do....?

Miniscule Kev...please, no more or I will not exist...God help me when Bothy wakes up and sees this.....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links