Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Problem

gpduffy

hi i got a puncture in my new tyres and had a bung put on it .. its not in the side wall, but near it and there is a buldge.

any ideas is this safe?

gerardduffy@hotmail.com

yaris d4d

post-8364-1221123067_thumb.jpg

post-8364-1221123097_thumb.jpg

hi i got a puncture in my new tyres and had a bung put on it .. its not in the side wall, but near it and there is a buldge.

any ideas is this safe?

gerardduffy@hotmail.com

yaris d4d

i wouldnt risk that, when you think about it your using that spot when cornering. id say its a new tyre. your supose to get em changed anyway i think when you have a bulge in it.

any ideas is this safe?

gerardduffy@hotmail.com

yaris d4d

i wouldnt risk that, when you think about it your using that spot when cornering. id say its a new tyre. your supose to get em changed anyway i think when you have a bulge in it.

thanks for the reply!

I got the repair done, but it has caused this bulge now .... I had hoped they could put a tube in the tyre ..

is it a good tyre aswell? i remember on my last car i had brand new set of nankang 205/40/17's not the best make in the world but there alrite, and within the first month somehow a pair of tweezers had gone through but was too far over to repair the tyre, gutted lol

is it a good tyre aswell? i remember on my last car i had brand new set of nankang 205/40/17's not the best make in the world but there alrite, and within the first month somehow a pair of tweezers had gone through but was too far over to repair the tyre, gutted lol

yeah only 15k on them .. see i dont want to replace the tyre, rather do the replacing in pairs ...

If you look at the pic, wot do u think? the nail was in the top part of the tyre .. close to the side .. I checked with a genuine garage and they assured me the repair is legal. Should I chance it?

Instant MOT fail.

And dangerous..

Replace asap.

Instant MOT fail.

And dangerous..

Replace asap.

thanks for the advice .. can you see from the pics what i mean ... dont think it looks as bad in real life, but still.

DO you think its too close to the tyre wall?

Thing is the car is only 1 yr old

I'm really surprised they repaired it!!!? A definite No-No! :eek: Anything within 35mm of the sidewall is a 'throw-away'. Sorry.

Ciao.

Have to agree with the others here, that tyre should never have been repaired, and no you can't put a tube in it, that would be dangerous as well, just get a new tyre

Pete

As a tyre fitter I'm absolutely shocked that ANY competant tyre centre/garage would have repaired that, they have not only put your life at risk... they have put the lives of every other road user/pedestrians life at risk too. The bulge in the tyre is there because the structure of the tyre has been damaged, the nylon cords that support the sidewall have snapped, the air pressure is then only pushing on the rubber causing it to expand outwards, next step is a blowout.

You might think that statement is a little over the top but think about it this way...

You are dtiving along at say 60pmh minding your own buisness and keeping within the law, next minute you his a small pothole right where the bulge is, BANG!.. you loose control of the car and either end up into oncoming traffic or onto the pavement.... that could be your life and the lives of others gone in a split second.

Get that wheel off your car right away and put your spare on, go to a garage and get a new tyre ASAP... but for crying out loud DO NOT GO TO THE COWBOYS WHO REPAIRED THAT TYRE :censor: ... whoever done that should be reported... or even better... SHOT!! :ffs: :ffs:

Edit: You may be thinking sod putting a space saver on, put it on as that is what it is there for and although you will be under strict rules wih it (Max Speed 50mph for no longer than 65 miles in most cases) but in this case I would rather use it or walk, as it is far safer than traveling with a tyre in such a seriously poor state of repair.

Thanks very much for your reply -- you have confirmed my suspicions .. the photos look worse than it is, but there is defo a bulge.

Raging Ive lost £8 on that dumb repair! I phoned the cowboys to price a new tyre today .. "tiger tyre" he can do for £35 (instead of £40, but then i phoned my usual garage and they can do it for £33 anyhow, but said it wasnt a good tyre .. what do you think? I was thinking of investing in a good Bridgestone, but is there much point for 1 tyre?

Defo interested in reporting him .. how can I do this? (PM me if necessary), he wouldnt issue me a receipt and was going to charge £2 for using a switch card!

Finally on a diff note, another local tyre dealer put a tube into my front tyre about 2 months ago, its going fine - is this acceptable?

Tigar's are a budget tyre, how it will be on your car no-one will know as all cars/drivers are different.. it's trial and error, personally I wouldn't go with a budget tyre, I would opt for a mid-range tyre (Kumho for example) upwards. Bridgestone would be a good choice. I alsp prefer to change tyres in pairs, but there is no reason why you can't change a single tyre.

If you want to report the garage talk to either the dept of transport or (probably the best Idea) Trading Standards... If he has refused to give you a receipt he has broken the law. without a receipt it could be difficult to proove he carried out the repair, unless the garage has cctv.

As for fitting a tube, this can be done legally on certain sizes of tyres... mainly 60 series and above (50 series tyres cannot be tubed) the only downside to this is that if you pick up a nail you won't get a "slow puncture", they tyres tend to go down right away.

Yes, I have to agree with Davy here, unless the tyres are relatively new I would go for 2 new tyres for the front and put the older pair on the rear. I've done this in the past, and I've always put the (legally) repaired tyre on the rear anyway. Whether I'm wrong or right, I just feel safer in the knowledge that I've got good tyres that generally keep the car on the straight and narrow.

And look, I don't mean to preach here, and I don't know you're financial situation, but for the price of a dinner for 2 it's nice to know that you've kept you and others as safe as possible. Not to mention last a lot longer after the memory of the meal has faded.....

Cheers, Bill.

thanks, think ill do that. 2 new tyres on front. move front to back, then use my remaining back in the garage just incase! lol

I have the choice of two sava goodyears for £75, kumo for £90 or Bridgestone for £110 .. basically i dont want to be picking up nails/thorns all the time .. which u reckon is my best bet?

thanks, think ill do that. 2 new tyres on front. move front to back, then use my remaining back in the garage just incase! lol

I have the choice of two sava goodyears for £75, kumo for £90 or bridgestone for £110 .. basically i dont want to be picking up nails/thorns all the time .. which u reckon is my best bet?

Buy the best that you can afford :thumbsup:

my final post!

replaced 3 of my tyres 2day .. fitted roadstone tyres .. they guy said they were firestone, but they aint .. there from korea .. look to have a good grip .. wonder wot they are like but?

the price is £120, inc. balance of 3, and alignement. wot u reckon? (honestly pls)

my final post!

replaced 3 of my tyres 2day .. fitted roadstone tyres .. they guy said they were firestone, but they aint .. there from korea .. look to have a good grip .. wonder wot they are like but?

the price is £120, inc. balance of 3, and alignement. wot u reckon? (honestly pls)

All I can say is...............................we will pray for you ;) ......................good luck :thumbsup:

You haven't confirmed what size you are running.. 175/65x14?

If so then the price you have paid, including a wheel alignment adjustment (not a check) is fairly reasonable.

Roadstone tyres are manufactured in Korea in a factory set up by Michelin and may well be part owned by Michelin. AFAIK

You haven't confirmed what size you are running.. 175/65x14?

If so then the price you have paid, including a wheel alignment adjustment (not a check) is fairly reasonable.

Roadstone tyres are manufactured in Korea in a factory set up by Michelin and may well be part owned by Michelin. AFAIK

sorry its 186 60 15 sr

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links