Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Mmt Intermittent Gear/clutch Fault

midlander

Hi Forum,

I was hoping someone could shed light on a fault I have with my Toyota Yaris 2004 MMT (25,000 miles).

I'll explain it as clearly as possible...

It only happens every 2 or 3 months and then the car is fine again for another few months.

Basically, when I am driving along (in 'automatic mode') the car will not engage the gear properly and the engine will rev but I won't gain any speed. Similar as to when a clutch is slipping in a manual car.

I took the car to my local dealer, who couldn't get the fault to occur (which isn't unlikely because it's so intermittent).

They said it could be one of two things...

1. The Clutch....which they said they thought it wasn't, but couldn't be sure unless they dismantled the gear box.

2. The ECU....which they said would cost £700, but they were not sure it was this causing the fault either.

Does anybody have any other ideas what it might be?

Thank you in advance :)

Hi Forum,

I was hoping someone could shed light on a fault I have with my Toyota Yaris 2004 MMT (25,000 miles).

It only happens every 2 or 3 months and then the car is fine again for another few months.

Basically, when I am driving along (in 'automatic mode') the car will not engage the gear properly and the engine will rev but I won't gain any speed. Similar as to when a clutch is slipping in a manual car.

I took the car to my local dealer, who couldn't get the fault to occur (which isn't unlikely because it's so intermittent).

1. The Clutch....which they said they thought it wasn't, but couldn't be sure unless they dismantled the gear box.

2. The ECU....which they said would cost £700, but they were not sure it was this causing the fault either.

hi there...i have the exact same problem...but with extras..!!...

sometimes the cars engine will stop all together..then you have to turn the ignition off then try to start again...can take 3-4 try's to get it to start.

also...get a strange beeping noise sometimes when driving...like a warning tone beep...looked all over to find out what this means...but no joy..(anyone..?)

and sometimes the what feels like clutch slip...gets so bad..the car will not go over 40mph...but then the next day...it's fine for 1-2 months..then it all start over again.......any idea's on this would much appreciated....

thx...tack..

Hi Forum,

sometimes the cars engine will stop all together..then you have to turn the ignition off then try to start again...can take 3-4 try's to get it to start.

also...get a strange beeping noise sometimes when driving...like a warning tone beep...looked all over to find out what this means...but no joy..(anyone..?)

and sometimes the what feels like clutch slip...gets so bad..the car will not go over 40mph...but then the next day...it's fine for 1-2 months..then it all start over again.......any idea's on this would much appreciated....

thx...tack..

Hi Forum,

thx...tack..

Could it be the clutch overheating warning due to slipping?.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

I haven't been on this forum in a while.

I have a Nov 03 MMT yaris. When it was one year old, it had similar problems , not engaging gear, over revving. I reported it only to be told pretty much that I was imagining it.

In Dec 06, the problem returned, but worse, as I was driving, it would switch into neutral mode and I would lose power completely. Brought to the garage where it was bought and they diagnosed a problem with ECU and clutch actuator. Customer sevices provided the parts at half price, I had to pay full price for labour, overall around £1500, a bit steep seeing as it was two months out of warranty and they had ignored previously reported problems, had full toyota service history etc.

Anyway no problems until last week, and now when I am driving, the overrevving is back and the beeping noise you describe which seems to be associated with accelerating. Don't want to spend any more money on it at this stage, won't be able to sell it. All in all I have had not had a good experience with the MMT, and would never touch one again. (there was only a one year guarantee on the parts).

So I hope you have better luck with your Yaris.

• 2 months later...
Hi there

I haven't been on this forum in a while.

I have a Nov 03 MMT yaris. When it was one year old, it had similar problems , not engaging gear, over revving. I reported it only to be told pretty much that I was imagining it.

In Dec 06, the problem returned, but worse, as I was driving, it would switch into neutral mode and I would lose power completely. Brought to the garage where it was bought and they diagnosed a problem with ECU and clutch actuator. Customer sevices provided the parts at half price, I had to pay full price for labour, overall around £1500, a bit steep seeing as it was two months out of warranty and they had ignored previously reported problems, had full toyota service history etc.

Anyway no problems until last week, and now when I am driving, the overrevving is back and the beeping noise you describe which seems to be associated with accelerating. Don't want to spend any more money on it at this stage, won't be able to sell it. All in all I have had not had a good experience with the MMT, and would never touch one again. (there was only a one year guarantee on the parts).

So I hope you have better luck with your Yaris.

Exactly the same happended to us. ECU + Actuator replaced, now 8 months later beeping and overrevving on accelerating. Any ideas out there as to what is going on ? :help: :help:

email me

• 2 weeks later...

Problem resolved (fortunately under warranty). Clutch actuator failed again. Fortunately replacement didn't involve a new ECU this time. Beeping I assume due to clutch slip causing overheat of gearbox grease. I doubt this will be the end of my MMT issues.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm having similar problems but mine beeps when sitting in slow moving traffic, and for a couple of minutes after pulling away - seems to stop when in neutral but can't move then. I only got my car a week ago and am now really worried about what i've bought!!! Toyota are having a look next week - I just hope they're able to sort it.

• 14 years later...
On 1/30/2009 at 4:59 PM, mitsy19 said:

Hi, I'm having similar problems but mine beeps when sitting in slow moving traffic, and for a couple of minutes after pulling away - seems to stop when in neutral but can't move then. I only got my car a week ago and am now really worried about what i've bought!!! Toyota are having a look next week - I just hope they're able to sort it.

Do u remember what happened to your car.

and how you resolved it

14 hours ago, Khan1985 said:

Do u remember what happened to your car.

and how you resolved it

The topic is 15 years old, and the member you asked the question of, hasn't visited the Club since February 2009. So you're unlikely to receive a reply !

Please post a new topic describing what symptoms you're getting.

Topic locked.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links