Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Rav - Couple Of Questions

Alshine

Hello

Just taken delivery of new RAV4 XTR 2.2D and be grateful for your opinion on following.

1 - I see you can get a rear bumper protection plate (For RAV with spare wheel) any idea if this plate will also fit my RAV without spare wheel or will I have to get the protection film?

2 - There isn't a full plastic guard under rear arches (Shame) therefore exposing large areas of arch some of which is undersealed and some which is just painted.Would others recommend applying more underseal to painted areas or leave as it is and just give it all a coat of waxoyl or similar.

Regards and thanks for any info.

Alan

These days they usually do a good job of corrosion prevention, even in the areas that are paint only.

Even so, I have applied a thin layer of black waxoyl based stuff to those exposed wheel arch areas on mine. I've done sections of the underside too - again a thin layer of waxoyl. I'm not that keen on thick underseal, can be more trouble than it's worth IMHO.

Goes without saying, but take care not to get the stuff on things like the exhaust and brake components.

Sorry, can't comment on the rear protection plate.

Remember to post some photos of the new RAV in our photos thread if possible.

Cheers :thumbsup:

From memory the XTR model is protection film only, not a plate

No underseal is necessary, certainly NO bitumin based gloop should be applied :no: I suppose very light waxoyl would do no harm

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi Alshine

I have a 2008 Rav 4.3 with a spare wheel, and I fitted a "Rear Plate"

The fitting instructions are on the Toyota Techdoc site, and whilst the illustratiions all show the spare wheel on the door, I think it would fit if the bumper has a number plate on it (sorry, I'm not too familiar with the UK models, which are slightly different from those here in Ireland) It specifically says it is not compatible with bumpers without a number plate

The installation manual says it fits vehicles code **A30*-AW***W so you could check with your Rav4's info on the door pillar, if there's any remaining doubt

It is a substantial piece of rubbery/plastic, looks good and offers serious protection from our dog and he hops in and out

Hi I am looking for parts-king.......

Hoovie from rav4world told me he can get accesories

I tried to PM him but the site didn't allow me, maybe because I only just signed up???

My BF is in the UK and I asked him to order a few bits for my rav,,, Hoovie told me parts-king could help me??

thanks to all guys, and sorry to steal the your threat Alshine

Hi Alshine

I have a 2008 Rav 4.3 with a spare wheel, and I fitted a "Rear Plate"

The fitting instructions are on the Toyota Techdoc site, and whilst the illustratiions all show the spare wheel on the door, I think it would fit if the bumper has a number plate on it (sorry, I'm not too familiar with the UK models, which are slightly different from those here in Ireland) It specifically says it is not compatible with bumpers without a number plate

The installation manual says it fits vehicles code **A30*-AW***W so you could check with your Rav4's info on the door pillar, if there's any remaining doubt

It is a substantial piece of rubbery/plastic, looks good and offers serious protection from our dog and he hops in and out

Hmmm, had a thought here. This is the bumper protector I was looking for, but as Kingo said, it wont fit mine as its an XT-R with

the number plate on the rear door. I was thinking about getting something made up in work but never got round to it. Now as far

as I know, the difference is the depth of the top of the bumper. The XT-R is shallower. But what I was thinking was, could the trim

be cut back to suit the shallower bumper ? As long as the outside edge is the same shape / radius I can see no reason why it cant

be trimmed to suit. So what we need is someone who has one but not fitted yet to compare between models. OR someone with a

spare to try the rough paper template I have made and see if it will fit. Anyone ?

Just to confirm I was correct, the plate fits everything EXCEPT the XTR model, for which there is only a film available

Dave_M You are welcome to buy one off me and butcher it to suit :hammer::lol:

Cheers

EDIT

I was checking this out for an XT5 customer today, on his chassis number, he also can ONLY have a protection film, NOT the plate!

Just to confirm I was correct, the plate fits everything EXCEPT the XTR model, for which there is only a film available

Dave_M You are welcome to buy one off me and butcher it to suit :hammer::lol:

Cheers

Glad to mate, as long as you can tell me that the outside edge is the same :thumbsup:

Hmmm, had a thought here. This is the bumper protector I was looking for, but as Kingo said, it wont fit mine as its an XT-R with

the number plate on the rear door. I was thinking about getting something made up in work but never got round to it. Now as far

as I know, the difference is the depth of the top of the bumper. The XT-R is shallower. But what I was thinking was, could the trim

be cut back to suit the shallower bumper ? As long as the outside edge is the same shape / radius I can see no reason why it cant

be trimmed to suit. So what we need is someone who has one but not fitted yet to compare between models. OR someone with a

spare to try the rough paper template I have made and see if it will fit. Anyone ?

Agree with the principle of the idea ........if the protector was just a plain piece of rubber (whatever?) ........but correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it have "RAV 4" embossed on it! So wouldn't you be in danger of trimming the top of the letters off! :unsure:

Agree with the principle of the idea ........if the protector was just a plain piece of rubber (whatever?) ........but correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it have "RAV 4" embossed on it! So wouldn't you be in danger of trimming the top of the letters off! :unsure:

Guys, the "plate" is some sort of rubbery plastic, about 1095mm in length. It is 165mm deep at the ends, and a maximum of 235mm deep in the middle. It is ribbed, but you could cut up to 55mm off the depth (all the way along the straight edge, obviously, as it folds over the bumper by about 5mm) because this area is completely flat. The ribbed area contains the Rav4 logo in relief, so you couldn't make it any thinner. It's affixed by 3m tape and 4 press studs that are part of the assembly that hold the bumper onto the body. On my Rav, these are at 100mm, 400mm, 700mm and 1000mm measured from one end of the plate. Obviously, if you cut a strip off the plate, you'd have to re-form these holes. All measurements within a couple of mm

Hope this helps

Guys, the "plate" is some sort of rubbery plastic, about 1095mm in length. It is 165mm deep at the ends, and a maximum of 235mm deep in the middle. It is ribbed, but you could cut up to 55mm off the depth (all the way along the straight edge, obviously, as it folds over the bumper by about 5mm) because this area is completely flat. The ribbed area contains the Rav4 logo in relief, so you couldn't make it any thinner. It's affixed by 3m tape and 4 press studs that are part of the assembly that hold the bumper onto the body. On my Rav, these are at 100mm, 400mm, 700mm and 1000mm measured from one end of the plate. Obviously, if you cut a strip off the plate, you'd have to re-form these holes. All measurements within a couple of mm

Hope this helps

Thanks for that Rob (can you post a photo ? ) I lifted some sizes myself and reckon its a 2.2 metre radius to outer edge.

As Fuj says it might take some of the letters away, but dont know how much you can see when door is closed anyway.

Getting a service done saturday morning, so might take the paper template with me and brassneck it against another

Rav with spare wheel. :D

can you post a photo ?

Yep, here you go, have only just taken it so if it's of no use, let me know and I'll try one in daylight tomorrow

Rearplate.jpg

PS I have a "rear skirt" as well, but that doesn't affect the rear plate. You can see the blue of the top of the skirt, but that's below the original bumper line

can you post a photo ?

Yep, here you go, have only just taken it so if it's of no use, let me know and I'll try one in daylight tomorrow

Rearplate.jpg

PS I have a "rear skirt" as well, but that doesn't affect the rear plate. You can see the blue of the top of the skirt, but that's below the original bumper line

:thumbsup: thanks Rob.

Rearplate.jpg

OH! :o The embossed features are well away from the back edge. Ummm.....looks to have plenty of room to make suitable alterations. ;)

Has you say Dave, it's just a case of the outside radius if not totally matching being close enough!

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Rearplate.jpg

OH! :o The embossed features are well away from the back edge. Ummm.....looks to have plenty of room to make suitable alterations. ;)

Has you say Dave, it's just a case of the outside radius if not totally matching being close enough!

Just caught this thread, i have the same bumper ptotector on my XT4, list price 12 mths ago was £58-73p inc vat, obviously Kingo would be cheaper

I fancied making one out of that aluminium checker plate that you see on LRs, thought it may look a bit industrial on the Rav, but i have since seen a picture of a Rav with something similar, and surprisingly it looked quite smart, sure this would not be a problem to someone of Dave Ms skills, i reckon even i could have a good go at that :thumbsup:

Rearplate.jpg

Just caught this thread, i have the same bumper ptotector on my XT4, list price 12 mths ago was £58-73p inc vat, obviously Kingo would be cheaper

I fancied making one out of that aluminium checker plate that you see on LRs, thought it may look a bit industrial on the Rav, but i have since seen a picture of a Rav with something similar, and surprisingly it looked quite smart, sure this would not be a problem to someone of Dave Ms skills, i reckon even i could have a good go at that :thumbsup:

Hopefully i have tracked down picture of alloy rear guard :unsure:

ToyotaRAV4RearLightRimCoverScottShu.jpg

Not sure if autostylist uk sells them, but could be made quite easily :thumbsup:

ToyotaRAV4RearLightRimCoverScottShu.jpg

Not sure if autostylist uk sells them, but could be made quite easily :thumbsup:

To my eyes, that looks very smart and nicer then the official Toyota one.

I think I have seen self-adhesive checkplate print film actually as well - I'll have a google for it :)

Would this do the trick?

SELF ADHESIVE CHEQUER PLATE VINYL

d308_1.JPG

I don't actually need one as i have the toyota one but Dave + Fuji are after something for theres, the Mr T one doesn,t fit the XTR, don't know how the vinyl would wear? it does imply for interior use on the link :unsure:

Would this do the trick?

SELF ADHESIVE CHEQUER PLATE VINYL

d308_1.JPG

I don't actually need one as i have the toyota one but Dave + Fuji are after something for theres, the Mr T one doesn,t fit the XTR, don't know how the vinyl would wear? it does imply for interior use on the link :unsure:

There is very little clearance between the underside of the door on my XT5 and the top of the rear bumper. I haven't seen the protector that Robert shows in his photo but would have definitely bought one for my motor if it would fit. ( It was me that Kingo referred to in his post as the XT5 driver ). It is possible to buy very thin, aproximately 0.8mm thick, stainless steel chequer plate with the pattern about as prominent as the pattern on wallpaper. I think that I may have a small piece in the garage that was left over from a job, if so I'll post a picture and check that it fits under the rear door without interference. I could probably get them laser cut if I wanted enough to use up a sheet of material. I'll knock up a drawing and get a price.

Best regards

Chris

There is very little clearance between the underside of the door on my XT5 and the top of the rear bumper. I haven't seen the protector that Robert shows in his photo but would have definitely bought one for my motor if it would fit. ( It was me that Kingo referred to in his post as the XT5 driver ). It is possible to buy very thin, aproximately 0.8mm thick, stainless steel chequer plate with the pattern about as prominent as the pattern on wallpaper. I think that I may have a small piece in the garage that was left over from a job, if so I'll post a picture and check that it fits under the rear door without interference. I could probably get them laser cut if I wanted enough to use up a sheet of material. I'll knock up a drawing and get a price.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Chris this is similar to what I was thinking, but machining rather than laser / water jetting. Just could not make my mind

up about the type of sheet we had lying around work, though we dont't have checker plate. If it helps, the outside edge of

bumper is 2200 MM Rad on the short XT-R bumper. Imagine the rest will be the same.

I might go with the likes of the one that Stew (Local Hero ) found, looks quite smart.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Chris this is similar to what I was thinking, but machining rather than laser / water jetting. Just could not make my mind

up about the type of sheet we had lying around work, though we dont't have checker plate. If it helps, the outside edge of

bumper is 2200 MM Rad on the short XT-R bumper. Imagine the rest will be the same.

I might go with the likes of the one that Stew (Local Hero ) found, looks quite smart.

Dave,

My worry about the aluminium chequer plate option is the clearance under the door. I'll measure it carefully when I get home on Sunday. The stainless chequer plate is used for things like kick plates on doors in offices and public buildings. The surface would be much smoother than aluminium and easier to keep clean. The rolled edge that overhangs the bumper on Roberts motor is an attractive option too. Have to talk to a friendly sheet metal guy that I deal with!

Best regards

Chris

Could I extend the topic slightly here?

Something that could look good in conjunction with a custom rear boot protector would be matching door cill protectors along the idea of the toyota cill guards. What do you guys think?

I would be interested in a set of 4 sill proctectors along with a boot cill protector

Best regards

Chris

Chris if yours is a xt5, i assume with spare wheel the Mr T one will fit its part No PZ415X0521-00 but double check with kingo, price about£50

Dave / Chris.. laser/water jetting? Ihad in mind gilbow snips + a rubber mallet and a lot of filing :unsure:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links