Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Brake Disc Removal

GVS

Looking for some help here.

Just bought come brake pads and discs for my 03 Avensis 1.8. Thinking it would straight forward - done loads of other car types in past, but to my displeasure I could not get the discs off. Looks like handbrake uses brake shoes inside the disc while main brakes are pads on outside.

Their is a peek hole which I am sure is for this very reason, but I could not see what to do inside said hole. I am sure a special tool should be inserted, twisted - or something and the shoes contract to allow the disc to come off.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

Just bought come brake pads and discs for my 03 Avensis 1.8. Thinking it would straight forward - done loads of other car types in past, but to my displeasure I could not get the discs off. Looks like handbrake uses brake shoes inside the disc while main brakes are pads on outside.

Their is a peek hole which I am sure is for this very reason, but I could not see what to do inside said hole. I am sure a special tool should be inserted, twisted - or something and the shoes contract to allow the disc to come off.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

HI GARY,

YEP, INSIDE THE HUB OF THE DISC THERE ARE A PAIR OF SHOES, REMOVE THE GROMMET FROM THE INSPECTION HOLE THAT YOU HAVE FOUND, THEN USING A FLAT SCREWDRIVER, INSERT IT HROUGH THE HOLE AND THERE IS A SMALL COG WHICH DEPENDING ON WHAT SIDE OF THE CAR YOU ARE ON YOU WIND UP OR DOWN A FEW CLICKS, THIS CONTRACTS THE SHOES AND THE DISC WILL COME AWAY.

DARREN

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

HI GARY,

YEP, INSIDE THE HUB OF THE DISC THERE ARE A PAIR OF SHOES, REMOVE THE GROMMET FROM THE INSPECTION HOLE THAT YOU HAVE FOUND, THEN USING A FLAT SCREWDRIVER, INSERT IT HROUGH THE HOLE AND THERE IS A SMALL COG WHICH DEPENDING ON WHAT SIDE OF THE CAR YOU ARE ON YOU WIND UP OR DOWN A FEW CLICKS, THIS CONTRACTS THE SHOES AND THE DISC WILL COME AWAY.

DARREN

Thanks Darren,

I saw the grommet and inspection hole, but could not locate the cog. Where do you locate the disc to see the cog? Is it Top dead centre, bottom or on one of the sides? I spend a little time with flash light trying to see something that might do this, but could not locate it. The handbrake cable is located at the bottom of the hub, so assuming it either at the bottom or the top.

Thanks for your help again.

Gary

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

HI GARY,

DARREN

Thanks Darren,

I saw the grommet and inspection hole, but could not locate the cog. Where do you locate the disc to see the cog? Is it Top dead centre, bottom or on one of the sides? I spend a little time with flash light trying to see something that might do this, but could not locate it. The handbrake cable is located at the bottom of the hub, so assuming it either at the bottom or the top.

Thanks for your help again.

Gary

Hi,

Its at the bottom from memory, you should make it out with a light. when you insert the driver it kinda levers against the inspection hole and turns the cog, unless seized, but lets not go there !!

Darren

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=84814

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=84814

Thanks all who helped. Dead easy when you know how.....

Thanks Again.

Gary

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links