Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Fix For Brake Squeal ?

balli hi

I had a call from my local dealership this morning regarding my ongoing brake squeal issue.

Basically after contacting Toyota GB regarding the issue, my dealership have been instructed to carry out a new mod to my brakes as directed by Toyota technical,

I asked if the mod had been tried & tested , and was told that my car would be the first to recieve it, & there was no guarantee that it will work.

Although i am desperate for a fix to the problem i am not sure i want my car to be the guinee pig.

I asked what the mod entailed, but was told that they were not sure at this point.

I would rather they trialled the mod on one of their fleet cars, because there is a chance that it could make the problem worse & i have better things to do with my time than running back & forth to the dealership.

I was wondering if anyone within the Trade have any knowledge of what the new fix may be, in particular Moonstone Mart or Kingo, if you guys can let us know if you have had any new info from Toyota Technical regarding the issue .

I am not sure at this stage wether or not i want them to trial the mod on my car,... what would you guys do?,

If it's really annoying you, then give it a go... if it's been back shed loads of times already, then once more won't be too much of a hardship.

With a whole 4,500 miles on the clock, my SR180 has stared to squeal like a good 'un in this recent cold snap. I think pedestrians think that there's a bus pulling up somewhere.

If it's really annoying you, then give it a go... if it's been back shed loads of times already, then once more won't be too much of a hardship.

With a whole 4,500 miles on the clock, my SR180 has stared to squeal like a good 'un in this recent cold snap. I think pedestrians think that there's a bus pulling up somewhere.

Hi Andy

Thanks for your reply

At present the squeal only happens when coming to a stop in slow moving traffic and at junctions, but thats how it always starts & then gets progressively worse, my mileage at present is approaching 4000.

the squeal at present is not overly annoying, so i can live with it for now .

The problem i have is that what ever the new fix is, its not been tested, and because i have been back and forth so many times before, i am a little reluctant to go back again at this point in time.

What i dearly wanted them to say was, we have a new fix, its been tested, it works , so when would you like us to book you in. That never happened , what they actually said was , we have a new fix, we don't know if it will work as its not been tried out yet, plus they could'nt even tell me what they would be changing. So as said i am really unsure as what to do for the best , if only i could be assured that it will work , then one more visit would be fine, however i have a sneaking feeling that it will be one more visit of many.

Hopefully in the meantime they will have tried the fix on another car and come up with the answer i'm looking for.

You could put up with the noise for another few months and then see how good this "fix" is.

My original Auris a T180 had load of dashboard rattles from the passenger side, that the dealer attmpted to fix again, and again. A few months after I swapped it for my current SR180, Toyota released a "Dash Quiteneing Kit" for cars with such problems.

For the moment keep the communication open between you and the dealer, and once they have some good feedback, book it in. Toyota must have tired their latest suggestions somewhere, and your dealer can't be the only one that has customers with a Squealing Auris.

I had what I assume was the "old" fix carried out on December 29th. Since then everything has been fine so far (over 500 miles of driving). They also fixed the top glove box rattle, but that didn't last quite so long, but I'm going to look into that one myself!

I had a rattle that I thought was the top glovebox turned out to be the airbox.

You mean the air filter box?

Not heard of any new bulletins for the brake squeal but if the tech has spoken too technical then they may have advised to try something new.

If this is the case then a bulletin maybe on its way soon.

We usually cure the squeal by fitting anti squeal shims (thin sticky rubber pads) and refitting the pads using the Toyota grease (very thick white grease - almost looks like toothpaste! lol) Not had many that have had to return.

Mart.

Not heard of any new bulletins for the brake squeal but if the tech has spoken too technical then they may have advised to try something new.

We usually cure the squeal by fitting anti squeal shims (thin sticky rubber pads) and refitting the pads using the Toyota grease (very thick white grease - almost looks like toothpaste! lol) Not had many that have had to return.

Mart.

Hi Mart

Thanks for your reply :thumbsup:

The remedy you describe fits exactly with what i could see when i got my car back last time, with the thick white grease e.c.t, they also changed my disks & pads, all round.

Whilst its great that i am getting new brake parts for free :) the squeal & graunch return every time,

As said, its intermittent at present , so i am going to live with it untill such time that it becomes a lot worse, and then i will contact my dealer and go from there, hopefully in the meantime details of the new fix will emerge.

Mart.

Mart,

At what point did Auris production change to sort this problem once and for all. I'm just surprised that my March 2008 SR180 is now squealing like a bus.

But if there is a fix, that's not a bad thing, and I'll get it looked at when it has it's annual service in March.

Mart.

Mart,

At what point did Auris production change to sort this problem once and for all. I'm just surprised that my March 2008 SR180 is now squealing like a bus.

But if there is a fix, that's not a bad thing, and I'll get it looked at when it has it's annual service in March.

Hi Andy

I recall that you mentioned your car has only done 4500 miles since march... now my car has done 3900 since april, and its got me thinking wether or not there is a connection between low mileage auris's and the brake squeal, what i mean is, could it be connected more so with cars that are in the main used for short journeys , for instance my car is used mainly for the school run, approx 3 miles twice a day, and is involved in a lot of light breaking in stop start traffic, could that be part of the problem as opposed to Auris's that are used more frequently and for longer journeys.

Perhaps other auris owners can let us know as to the mileage of their cars, the journeys they undertake, wether mainly short , long , or both, and wether or not they are experiencing brake squeal to the levels that you and i are.

There could be a connection, it would be interesting to find out, so if any of you guys & gals that are reading this and can spare a moment, please post your findings below... cheers :thumbsup:

my car is used mainly for the school run, approx 3 miles twice a day, and is involved in a lot of light breaking in stop start traffic, could that be part of the problem

I think you will find that it doesn't matter what type of driving you do, the problem only occurs at the very end of your braking cycle under light brake pedal pressure, so you only hear it when just coming to a stop (at a low speed) The application of anti- squeal shims and grease does cure 99% but there are one or two that struggle to be cured (for whatever reason) Probably the reason you hear it more Balli hi is that you do those short, low speed braking applications where you hear it most

Kingo :thumbsup:

I'm a fairly high mileage driver, on 6k and only picked up my new Auris in September, and I've had the squeal problem. Like Parts King says, you only notice it when travelling around slowly and especially in traffic. When commuting from my girlfriends to work (north/each London to Slough) it use to be a nightmare with all the stop/start driving and traffic light after traffic light. You'd often have people staring expecting to see some old banger, not an almost brand new 58 plate car!

my car is used mainly for the school run, approx 3 miles twice a day, and is involved in a lot of light breaking in stop start traffic, could that be part of the problem

I think you will find that it doesn't matter what type of driving you do, the problem only occurs at the very end of your braking cycle under light brake pedal pressure, so you only hear it when just coming to a stop (at a low speed) The application of anti- squeal shims and grease does cure 99% but there are one or two that struggle to be cured (for whatever reason) Probably the reason you hear it more Balli hi is that you do those short, low speed braking applications where you hear it most

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi Kingo

It was just a thought, i was just wondering if there could be a link..... never mind, back to the drawing board then.

By the way, i think Aldridge Andy asked the question of wether or not the Auris's that are being produced now, are free of the brake squeal issue, and if so, what has been changed in production to cure the problem ?.

However if i'm not mistaken, i think some new owners have posted on here somewhere, that they are experiencing brake squeal, and if thats the case, then nothing has changed and Toyota are still producing the Auris with the same type of brake calipers.

Copper... copper grease?

I've been among of boys, those can cut off fire in flying aeroplane. Just left me alone.

Whats all that about :crazy: sounds like your on something matey :eek:

By the way, i think Aldridge Andy asked the question of wether or not the Auris's that are being produced now, are free of the brake squeal issue, and if so, what has been changed in production to cure the problem ?.

However if i'm not mistaken, i think some new owners have posted on here somewhere, that they are experiencing brake squeal, and if thats the case, then nothing has changed and Toyota are still producing the Auris with the same type of brake calipers.

Nothing has changed mate... :unsure: Picked up my Auris on 8-th of Decemeber 2008, it only had 2 kms on the dashboard and I started experiencing the squealing about 10 kms later or so... :unsure: Has anyone seen the brake pads? I've heard some fixed it by making a central groove on the break pads (originally it was missing) to take away the residues enclosed b/w the pads and the rotors and this prevented any further squealing, but I wouldn't bet my salary on that as I haven't seen the brake pads myself and cannot confirm they lack the groove.

I had a call from my local dealership this morning regarding my ongoing brake squeal issue.

Basically after contacting Toyota GB regarding the issue, my dealership have been instructed to carry out a new mod to my brakes as directed by Toyota technical,

I asked if the mod had been tried & tested , and was told that my car would be the first to recieve it, & there was no guarantee that it will work.

Although i am desperate for a fix to the problem i am not sure i want my car to be the guinee pig.

I asked what the mod entailed, but was told that they were not sure at this point.

I would rather they trialled the mod on one of their fleet cars, because there is a chance that it could make the problem worse & i have better things to do with my time than running back & forth to the dealership.

I was wondering if anyone within the Trade have any knowledge of what the new fix may be, in particular Moonstone Mart or Kingo, if you guys can let us know if you have had any new info from Toyota Technical regarding the issue .

I am not sure at this stage wether or not i want them to trial the mod on my car,... what would you guys do?,

I have had my auris since Feb 08 and it has done 12K miles to date. The car has been in 5 times now for brake issues. went in again last week to no avail. Brakes have been changes 4 times since buying the car.

as other people have mentioned it starts off when braking in slow traffic when coming to a stop. Mine now is squeaking when i reverse. Was told by Toyota because the car was in reverse and wheels going in anti-clock rather than clockwise motion it may cause this. Not the best excuse to a problem and the guy struggled to explain so it would make sense when question further.

I dont mind having it trialled on my car. dont think it can any worse. Can you forward where you got news of this new trial so I can ask my toyota dealer.

I have had my auris since Feb 08 and it has done 12K miles to date. The car has been in 5 times now for brake issues. went in again last week to no avail. Brakes have been changes 4 times since buying the car.

as other people have mentioned it starts off when braking in slow traffic when coming to a stop. Mine now is squeaking when i reverse. Was told by Toyota because the car was in reverse and wheels going in anti-clock rather than clockwise motion it may cause this. Not the best excuse to a problem and the guy struggled to explain so it would make sense when question further.

I dont mind having it trialled on my car. dont think it can any worse. Can you forward where you got news of this new trial so I can ask my toyota dealer.

Hi Nass

As said, my dealers contacted me , informing me of the new fix, my dealers are Lookers Romford,

Good luck, hope you get it sorted.

Hi Nass

As said, my dealers contacted me , informing me of the new fix, my dealers are Lookers Romford,

There is a update on this problem now - the sticky shims are gotten rid of, caliper piston plate is removed, new metal pad shims are fitted and smeared with the thick Toyota grease on both sides and new pads with a wider groove and different profile/shape are fitted.

There is production change so some of the later ones could well have these pads fitted already.

Mart.

Mart.

Just my twopenneth as well....new car September 08.....just done over 6000 miles and have had the squeak intermittently from day one.....as stated only apparent as you come to a halt and is loud enough to be heard by my family in the house as I pull into the drive....first service due probably March and will have this looked at then.

I did ask the service manager at the time of pick up if this problem had been fixed and was told YES...not a major problem but one that does seem to be rumbling on.

Anyway once service competed I will report back on the forum...cheers all for now

Hi Nass

Hi - I am a new member of your very interesting forum. I took delivery of my Auris on the 14 Jan 2009, and the brakes were sqealing during my drive home from the garage. I returned to the garage and they took the car back and returned it to my home about 3 hours later. No sqealing since.

My other fault is that when using the MM(auto) system, I find that when pulling away from standstill the car pulls away then suddenly the engine fades and after a few seconds picks up speed again!!! is this another endemic fault with the car?

Regards

Fred

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nass

There is a update on this problem now - the sticky shims are gotten rid of, caliper piston plate is removed, new metal pad shims are fitted and smeared with the thick Toyota grease on both sides and new pads with a wider groove and different profile/shape are fitted.

There is production change so some of the later ones could well have these pads fitted already.

Mart.

Mart.

Hi guys

My car is now booked in for next monday, for the new fix, as detailed by moonstone mart in the post above, i took the opportunity to ask what they would be changing and was told, " new pads, a new type of shim, the disks will be skimmed, and a new type of grease will be applied.

I booked the car in first of all, because my car would not start last friday, because the Battery did not have enough charge to turn the engine over, i had left the car in my drive for 4 days untill all the snow had gone, and in that 4 day period the Battery had drained, i had to jumpstart the engine using jump leads , then left it running for half an hour, then took it on a good run, and have used the car a fair bit since, however i came out to start the car this morning, and the car DID start but only just , so it would seem the Battery or the alternator may be faulty,

Anyway i hope to have these issues sorted next monday, but regarding the brakes i'll probably wait a few weeks before posting any updates, as to wether or not the fix is working or not :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Just an update.

Its been 3 weeks now since the new mods were carried out, and so far all is very quite, so fingers crossed i hope Toyota have cracked it this time. :thumbsup:

I will further update at the end of March.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links