Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fitting Problem Jvc Avx810 Help Please! 56k Warning!

Pepperami

Hiya Guys!

I PM'd a couple of people with the link to this thread as they will hopefully have some clue as to whats going on, but for anyone else reading this, your opions are most welcome!

Big thanks to Jackel for his tutorial!

I read Jackel's excellent tut on how he fitted his JVC AVX800, and as mine is *i think anyways* the exact same dimensions ect, I thought I would have no probs at all, how wrong can you be!

To answer Jackels Q in his own thread, the plugs you have left over, I have too, there not used afaik so dont worry aboout those lol

Now, onto mine :unsure:

The first thing I noticed is that the brackets from the previous unit were the OEM ones, but the unit I think was NOT a Toyota fitted unit, the unit was a Sony WX-C570R here is a picture

Piccy of the unit, not mine tho lol

As you can see its a perfect fit, the surround of the unit is a perfect fit in the Celica Dash.

On the Celica Dash panel, there is a surround for the audio aperture that I had hoped to use, its screwed into the Celica dash from behind, and the surround then sits underneath the Sony unit surround........ if that makes sense I just read it and my brains spinning lol

I removed the brackets and fitted them to the new unit, inserted the new unit up and screwed it into place..........

Problem One

The new units own surround cannot be used, its TALLER than the Celica dash aperture, so no good whatsoever :(

Problem Two

The Surround from the Old Sony one cant be used, it doesnt seem to fit

Problem Three

The Surround thats screwed into the dash has to be removed or the faceoff cannot be attached or removed, there isnt the clearance.

Problem Four (how many more lol)

On reading Jackels guide, he refers to pre and post versions of the vehicle and I assumed mine was a PRE version (Y reg) is it??

"The only difference between the pre and post facelift Gen7 Celicas is that the pre-facelift model came with a standard sized Sony unit and filler blocks and the post facelift came with a OEM unit as mentioned above, the OEM unit has a wider fascia and thus no filler blocks present."

Having looked at mine, there are/were no filler blocks, and the unit as far as I can see wouldn't accept them even if I had them, unless by the time I got to this point, I was at breaking and not thinking straight!!

Now, I have the unit fitted, no surround and no filler blocks, it looks crap :(

here (hopefully) are the photos

17012009007.jpg

17012009008.jpg

17012009009.jpg

17012009010.jpg

17012009011.jpg

On a final note, having fitted the ISO adaptor, I find that if I set the unit up, its fine, as long as I dont remove the key, if I remove the key, lock up, come back 10 mins later, its all back to default!

Im assuming by this that the new unit needs a permanent 12v supply for storing the settings, but hasnt got one, again stange considering the old unit DID keep the settings, and all I have done is introduced an ISO adaptor.... confused or what lol

So, not a very productive Saturday afternoon!

The unit im sure is great, but im a little bit miffed obviously that it doesnt seem to fit at all well, and even if I get the blanking plates (and can get them to fit!) its still not going to fit/look as I would expect it too!

Please guys, any help appreciated!!!

NOTE TO JACKEL - What settings did you use for the screen proximity, as soon as you put your hand near the gearstick up pops a menu!! Also I keep getting a KEY box top right if screen, any clues??

Hiya Guys!

I PM'd a couple of people with the link to this thread as they will hopefully have some clue as to whats going on, but for anyone else reading this, your opions are most welcome!

Big thanks to Jackel for his tutorial!

I read Jackel's excellent tut on how he fitted his JVC AVX800, and as mine is *i think anyways* the exact same dimensions ect, I thought I would have no probs at all, how wrong can you be!

To answer Jackels Q in his own thread, the plugs you have left over, I have too, there not used afaik so dont worry aboout those lol

Now, onto mine :unsure:

The first thing I noticed is that the brackets from the previous unit were the OEM ones, but the unit I think was NOT a Toyota fitted unit, the unit was a Sony WX-C570R here is a picture

Piccy of the unit, not mine tho lol

As you can see its a perfect fit, the surround of the unit is a perfect fit in the Celica Dash.

On the Celica Dash panel, there is a surround for the audio aperture that I had hoped to use, its screwed into the Celica dash from behind, and the surround then sits underneath the Sony unit surround........ if that makes sense I just read it and my brains spinning lol

I removed the brackets and fitted them to the new unit, inserted the new unit up and screwed it into place..........

Problem One

The new units own surround cannot be used, its TALLER than the Celica dash aperture, so no good whatsoever :(

Problem Two

The Surround from the Old Sony one cant be used, it doesnt seem to fit

Problem Three

The Surround thats screwed into the dash has to be removed or the faceoff cannot be attached or removed, there isnt the clearance.

Problem Four (how many more lol)

On reading Jackels guide, he refers to pre and post versions of the vehicle and I assumed mine was a PRE version (Y reg) is it??

"The only difference between the pre and post facelift Gen7 Celicas is that the pre-facelift model came with a standard sized Sony unit and filler blocks and the post facelift came with a OEM unit as mentioned above, the OEM unit has a wider fascia and thus no filler blocks present."

Having looked at mine, there are/were no filler blocks, and the unit as far as I can see wouldn't accept them even if I had them, unless by the time I got to this point, I was at breaking and not thinking straight!!

Now, I have the unit fitted, no surround and no filler blocks, it looks crap :(

here (hopefully) are the photos

17012009007.jpg

17012009008.jpg

17012009009.jpg

17012009010.jpg

17012009011.jpg

On a final note, having fitted the ISO adaptor, I find that if I set the unit up, its fine, as long as I dont remove the key, if I remove the key, lock up, come back 10 mins later, its all back to default!

Im assuming by this that the new unit needs a permanent 12v supply for storing the settings, but hasnt got one, again stange considering the old unit DID keep the settings, and all I have done is introduced an ISO adaptor.... confused or what lol

So, not a very productive Saturday afternoon!

The unit im sure is great, but im a little bit miffed obviously that it doesnt seem to fit at all well, and even if I get the blanking plates (and can get them to fit!) its still not going to fit/look as I would expect it too!

Please guys, any help appreciated!!!

NOTE TO JACKEL - What settings did you use for the screen proximity, as soon as you put your hand near the gearstick up pops a menu!! Also I keep getting a KEY box top right if screen, any clues??

Hi there,

It looks like you have fitted it fine, just you need to buy the filler brackets for the left/right side from Toyota (~£14 for the pair):

* 86221-52060

* 86221-52050

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/Th...882/fillers.jpg

you have a pre-face lift car if it is a Y reg btw.

The AVX810 does sit a little further forwards due to the detachable face, but with the side fillers in it looks fine in the dash. I've had mine for about a year now and very happy with it! :)

As for sensitivity settings, for me it just illumintates the buttons or not, I don't get a menu!?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply mate

I'll get the fillers sorted out, I couldn't see how to attach them? There is no sticking up metal bit on my brackets for them to locate on to??

Anyone any ideas on why its not holding the settings when the power goes off?

Chris

Thanks for the reply mate

I'll get the fillers sorted out, I couldn't see how to attach them? There is no sticking up metal bit on my brackets for them to locate on to??

Anyone any ideas on why its not holding the settings when the power goes off?

Chris

Chris

Happened with mine when I fitted it see Here Its the permenant and switched lives need switching around mine were a red and yellow lead... sorted it then.

Good Luck

Pete

Thanks for the reply Pete, that kink takes me to your unit fitting, but as im a complete plank lol, explain in detail which wires on which bit need swaping/cutting/splicing please sir :)

Chris

Happened with mine when I fitted it see Here Its the permenant and switched lives need switching around mine were a red and yellow lead... sorted it then.

Good Luck

Pete

If there is no sticky up metal bit perhaps screw them on or use no more nails! :)

Regarding the wiring, I had no problems what so ever. You have got the right wire adapter for your cars year?

I had a similar problem with a car I used to own, turned out I had used adapter block A that came with the stereo instead of the B one!

LOL I dont think I best use ARD AS NAILS but I will look into it

Did you see the post in the CELICA forums as I cross posted to see if anyone in there had any ideas.... that doesnt look like blanknig plates, or are they?

Wiring I got the correct ISO adaptor yes and it all fitted together ok, so I dunno but I've been sooooo busy today it will have to wait until next weekend now lol ;)

LOL I dont think I best use ARD AS NAILS but I will look into it

Did you see the post in the CELICA forums as I cross posted to see if anyone in there had any ideas.... that doesnt look like blanknig plates, or are they?

Wiring I got the correct ISO adaptor yes and it all fitted together ok, so I dunno but I've been sooooo busy today it will have to wait until next weekend now lol ;)

The centre console in the other post looks like a carbon fibre effect fascia, however it looks the same size and shape as yours (and mine).

Thanks for the reply Pete, that kink takes me to your unit fitting, but as im a complete plank lol, explain in detail which wires on which bit need swaping/cutting/splicing please sir :)

Chris

Good Luck

Pete

Hi

Can't remember exactly, I had a lead from some place on eBay and I remember the switched live and permenant live were the wrong way round and you get the symptoms you have i.e. it works fine when on as both supply voltage but on switching off the permenant live disapears so you loose all the settings. I traced through the wires comming from the headunit and used a meter to test them to confirm this. All I can remember was that it was a yellow and red lead but yours maybe different.

I have since fitted an interface to make the steering wheel controls work and that replaced the earlier lead, everything worke fine with this lead straight out the box so I guess some are one way and some another....

In fact when i fitted a Parrot to my wifes Yaris last year Parrot actually make the two leads very easy to swap over and say that if it doesn't work one way to switch the wires, so maybe this is a Toyota thing.....

Anyway it's worth the bit of hassle, you will love it when it's going OK

Good Luck sorry I can't help further

Pete

Thanks for the replies guys, very appreciated!

I'm going to use a few of my lunchbreaks this week (not today tho its rubbish outside lol Worthings crap anyways but this....)

I have tried to Order the side bits from Toyota (Yeomans for me in Worthing) but they just dont answer the piggin phone so I will try elsewhere to get them :)

I looks the business, I have a box coming up on the top right with the word KEY in it, not sure what that is yet, but I will find the answers :)

Will report back with some pics when im done!

Chris

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links