Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4.3 Headlamps

three5

Had the kit for a bit but finally got around to replacing the original headlamp bulbs with HID. Difference is amazing. Cut-off is VERY sharp. Only minor problem was finding somewhere to put the control boxes, they ended up mounted beneath the metal cross member(?) that supports the plastic cover over the top of the radiator ( Hell - that's a dire description! ). Just did the dipped beams with a kit from HIDS4U ( http://www.hids4u.co.uk/home.php ). Job took about an hour but half of that was removing and replacing the plastic cover over the Radiator. I'm getting pretty slick with those clips now!

Job took about an hour but half of that was removing and replacing the plastic cover over the Radiator. I'm getting pretty slick with those clips now!

Should have replaced the horn's while you were in there :lol:

Job took about an hour but half of that was removing and replacing the plastic cover over the Radiator. I'm getting pretty slick with those clips now!

mmmmmmmmmmmm - *ugger! If I'm honest though, I don't know what the horns sound like as I've never used them. :o

mmmmmmmmmmmm - *ugger! If I'm honest though, I don't know what the horns sound like as I've never used them. :o

A bit like an angry Julien Clary, or is it Graham Norton ? :lol::lol:

Had the kit for a bit but finally got around to replacing the original headlamp bulbs with HID. Difference is amazing. Cut-off is VERY sharp. Only minor problem was finding somewhere to put the control boxes, they ended up mounted beneath the metal cross member(?) that supports the plastic cover over the top of the radiator ( Hell - that's a dire description! ). Just did the dipped beams with a kit from HIDS4U ( http://www.hids4u.co.uk/home.php ). Job took about an hour but half of that was removing and replacing the plastic cover over the Radiator. I'm getting pretty slick with those clips now!

We have just had them fitted to some of our trains and they are very good. They strike up and then get better as they warm up - right?

Which kit did you go for, the 35W or the 55W?

The website shows H1 but I thought they were H11. Which did you fit? Also, which colour temperature did you go for?

What is the situation with aftermarket HIDs?

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

Will they pass a MOT without a washer?

These are not the type of bulb that melt the casing are they !! Personally I feel the Rav 4-3 headlights are more than adequate; and the use of brighter bulbs is likely to infuriate on-coming cars who will retalliate and reduce your visibility any way. I remember my old Dad had a Volvo 121, He bought it new in 1961, and it only had a 6 volt system. The lights were diabolical, but I used to help him by holding my bike lamp outside the passenger window. You think I am joking; I can assure you I am not !!! His previous car was a 1953 Ford Consul, three gears and no synchromesh on first. The windscreen wipers worked off a vacum from the engine, so the faster you went, the slower the wipers worked. 40 m.p.h. in the rain and you were driving blind !!! Good old days though !!

The U.S. wasn't much better.

In the 1980's we finally were able to have cars with non-sealed beam (composite) headlights that had replaceable bulbs. The U.S. gov't wasn't satisfied with the H4 dual filament halogen bulb used everywhere else in the world. Instead, the 9004 bulb (HB1) was the answer. It had non-axial filament and no matter how good of a headlight housing you had, the beam pattern was awful with very little peripheral lighting.

To make things worse, it was 45W, instead of 55W. Most of the cars sold in the U.S. with dual filament headlights from the mid-80s until the mid-90's had these bulbs.

Eventually, the 9007 (HB5) bulb replaced it, which had an axial filament and rated 55W. The H4 lights (which are 9003s here) became available as well.

We don't even have HIDs or projectors available in the U.S. for the 4.3, but I find the standard headlights 9006 (HB4) sufficient for now. If I need extra light, I just turn on my fog lights.

Just did the dipped beams with a kit from HIDS4U ( http://www.hids4u.co.uk/home.php ).

Interesting. :g: Thank you :thumbsup:

What is the situation with aftermarket HIDs?

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

Will they pass a MOT without a washer?

:(

Personally I feel the Rav 4-3 headlights are more than adequate;

You do! :o

Main beams OK but how often do you get chance to use that, not very often in my case.

Fuj'

Stewart managed to find some headlight upgrade bulbs that are the same wattage and e marked etc. They have made the dipped beam rather better than it was before. I'm sure he will elaborate on where he got them.

Cheers

Fuj'

Stewart managed to find some headlight upgrade bulbs that are the same wattage and e marked etc. They have made the dipped beam rather better than it was before. I'm sure he will elaborate on where he got them.

Cheers

Thanks AM :thumbsup:

Yeah, wasn't it Osram Nightbreakers or something like that or Philips did a similar set of bulbs. About £25 a pair or around there. :unsure:

Will definately look into getting them when the originals give up the ghost even thou' I've read they might only last half the life of ordinary bulbs it's got to be worth a go.

HID is very interesting and I know how good Bi-Xenon can be :toast: , had them on the X3. But the reg's just put me off a little, just need an MOT inspector who woke up on the wrong side of the bed and you'll have an expensive day. :unsure:

Anyway, until then, I'll keep doing the hand exercises so that I can squeeze my big paws behind the headlights for bulb changing duty! :lol:

There we go, knew I had a link, around here somewhere.

The Osram Nightbreakers are halfway down the page and the price for H11's is £33.

What price did you pay for them Stewart? If you don't mind me asking.

:thumbsup:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Upgrade-Headlights-O...bayphotohosting I think it's the H11 bulbs for dipped beam, any way I purchased the Nightbreaker bulbs off this company and they are an improvement over the original bulbs, which in our opinion were sub standard even to my Corsa van, wich are fine, I would rate the original fog & main beam at 100% so did not need an upgrade, where as the original dipped at 70% were improoved to 95% of what "I" would wish for, with the new bulbs. The light colour dose change from the original "cream" colour to a "whiter, blueish greyish" if that is a colour. hope this is of some help. Mike

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Upgrade-Headlights-O...bayphotohosting I think it's the H11 bulbs for dipped beam, any way I purchased the Nightbreaker bulbs off this company and they are an improvement over the original bulbs, which in our opinion were sub standard even to my Corsa van, wich are fine, I would rate the original fog & main beam at 100% so did not need an upgrade, where as the original dipped at 70% were improoved to 95% of what "I" would wish for, with the new bulbs. The light colour dose change from the original "cream" colour to a "whiter, blueish greyish" if that is a colour. hope this is of some help. Mike

:toast::thumbsup:

Thank you very much Mike! That's great! :thumbsup:

How did you find fitting them? Enough space to get your hand in?

:toast::thumbsup:

Thank you very much Mike! That's great! :thumbsup:

How did you find fitting them? Enough space to get your hand in?

Very easy, I followed Anchormans guide for replacing the bulb and I think I removed or moved the washer bottle filler neck, anchormans guide on this forum says it all

Stewpot got some for me but there was a snag with the originals (I think the catalogue said H1 but they are as Mike says H11s) so he trawled the taxi underworld and came up with some in an almost plain blue box with "A1 xenon upgrade 4500k brilliant white" written on them. I don't know what determins "xenon" as I thought xenon was HID but these are a straight bulb swap with no additional ballasts etc. They are e marked and are still 55W. They do produce a whiter light and if you pull up to a wall you get a blueish/mauve halo from the projectors. It might be worth waiting for stewpot because he has some good contacts and might be able to advise you better.

I'm quite sure that proper HID would be brighter but I can't be bothered if it might cause legal problems (I might change my mind at some stage).

As for the bulb fitting guide - I forgot I'd done one!!! :blush:

Its my age I think.

Stewpot got some for me but there was a snag with the originals (I think the catalogue said H1 but they are as Mike says H11s) so he trawled the taxi underworld and came up with some in an almost plain blue box with "A1 xenon upgrade 4500k brilliant white" written on them. I don't know what determins "xenon" as I thought xenon was HID but these are a straight bulb swap with no additional ballasts etc. They are e marked and are still 55W. They do produce a whiter light and if you pull up to a wall you get a blueish/mauve halo from the projectors. It might be worth waiting for stewpot because he has some good contacts and might be able to advise you better.

I'm quite sure that proper HID would be brighter but I can't be bothered if it might cause legal problems (I might change my mind at some stage).

As for the bulb fitting guide - I forgot I'd done one!!! :blush:

Its my age I think.

Sorry kind of missed this topic, I used ring xenon in a red pkt for main beams, I got them from Maccess around £14 per pair,they retail about £23

Iam almost sure they are HB3 9005.. The dips i got from autobulbs direct They are H11 9007.. But double check in your handbook, Autobulbs direct can supply both + every other bulb on your Rav including some natty led side lamp bulbs, Warning if you go on their site + tap in rav4 2006> it tells you the dipped beams are H1 this is incorrect, they are H11s and Only Osram + autobulbs seem to do H11 xenon, here hopefully is a link for the bulbs i got Myself Anchs And Rob have these, though TBH Rob +I both had one fail, they were replaced immediately FOC and have had no probs since so hopefully a duff batch.. :thumbsup: Just checked handbook HB3Mains HB11dipped, The ring ultra xenon are avaiable from autobulbs £15-95 (HB3 mains) all for 4.3 rav..

Yep we did, These chaps at Autobulbs were pretty good, no fuss, just sent the other bulbs back and they sent a new set back... :)

They are quite bright but I still feel like the beam could be longer... so might get MR T to check the allignment out when Big Red goes in for her warranty work in Feb... ;)

Regards

Rob

B)

First things first, a link to Anchorman's great tutorial. :thumbsup:

So I don't lose it again! :lol:

Very easy, I followed Anchormans guide for replacing the bulb and I think I removed or moved the washer bottle filler neck, anchormans guide on this forum says it all

Thank you! :thumbsup: Sorry couldn't reply straightaway, the lad wanted to play on the Cbeebies website :rolleyes:

I don't know what determins "xenon" as I thought xenon was HID but these are a straight bulb swap with no additional ballasts etc. They are e marked and are still 55W.

Having a quick read last night thought the orginal poster's HID website, it seems to me HID bulbs strike an arc between two electrodes in an xenon atmosphere. These Nightbreakers etc, are just normal filment bulbs but filled with a xenon.

Anyway that my simple take on it. :P

Sorry kind of missed this topic, I used ring Xenon in a red pkt for main beams, I got them from Maccess around £14 per pair,they retail about £23

Iam almost sure they are HB3 9005.. The dips i got from autobulbs direct They are H11 9007.. But double check in your handbook, Autobulbs direct can supply both + every other bulb on your Rav including some natty led side lamp bulbs, Warning if you go on their site + tap in rav4 2006> it tells you the dipped beams are H1 this is incorrect, they are H11s and Only Osram + autobulbs seem to do H11 xenon, here hopefully is a link for the bulbs i got Myself Anchs And Rob have these, though TBH Rob +I both had one fail, they were replaced immediately FOC and have had no probs since so hopefully a duff batch.. :thumbsup: Just checked handbook HB3Mains HB11dipped, The ring ultra xenon are avaiable from autobulbs £15-95 (HB3 mains) all for 4.3 rav..

Thanks Stewart :thumbsup: Another great link :toast:

On our trains and on the kits I've seen you can see them strike up. The flash bright when they ignite then go dim for a few moments then get progressively brighter. My mate has a new BMW and he paid a lot of money (can't remember the exact figure but £1000 rings a bell!!). I had a fiddle (as one does) and noticed that these strike up at full brilliance but there is a fair bit of clicking and humming under the dash. It makes me think that these OE kits are far more sophisticated than the aftermarket ones as well as the considerations for washers etc.

I still think they are better for dipped beam but not sure how they would perform on beam so maybe for best results we have to wait until they are available as an option.

On our trains and on the kits I've seen you can see them strike up. The flash bright when they ignite then go dim for a few moments then get progressively brighter. My mate has a new BMW and he paid a lot of money (can't remember the exact figure but £1000 rings a bell!!). I had a fiddle (as one does) and noticed that these strike up at full brilliance but there is a fair bit of clicking and humming under the dash. It makes me think that these OE kits are far more sophisticated than the aftermarket ones as well as the considerations for washers etc.

I still think they are better for dipped beam but not sure how they would perform on beam so maybe for best results we have to wait until they are available as an option.

Yeah, about £800 - £1000 seems to be the going rate if you add Bi-Xenon has an option :(

But well worth it :D if you do a lot of driving at night! :thumbsup:

PS: Just ordered a set of those Osram Nightbreakers :thumbsup:

Better start doing my hand exercises again. :lol:

Osram nightbreakers are very good bulbs, but the one to go for are Philips Extreme they are just that bit better than the Osram nightbreakers. Just in passing the cost of upgrading to xenon lights on BMW,s is about £650 and if you want "adaptive" thats about £250 on top.One of the cheapest places to get bulbs from is Powerbulbs in Wakefield they sell on Flea bay

Regards Clare

Osram nightbreakers are very good bulbs, but the one to go for are Philips Extreme they are just that bit better than the Osram nightbreakers. Just in passing the cost of upgrading to Xenon lights on BMW,s is about £650 and if you want "adaptive" thats about £250 on top.One of the cheapest places to get Bulbs from is Powerbulbs in Wakefield they sell on Flea bay

Regards Clare

Unfortunately Clare the dip beam bulbs on our Ravs are H11 + neither phillips or ring do them as a xenon upgrade as they said, they were not a popular bulb that was about 6 mths ago whether they have since introduced them to their range i do not know, Do you miss your T180 Clare?

Hi, local

as you may have noticed I have now got a BMW X3 2ltr SE diesel 2008 with E/Dynamics. Imust admit I do still see my T180 out and about on the Island. I do like the X3 it is the only one that comes anywhere near the Rav. The one I got just before Xmas was an x BMW pool car 6 months old with very little milage on. I told them what I wanted and my Main Dealer got it me at a very good price. I didn,t want the M Sport version cause they don,t have very good reports regarding hard ride and other things. Touch wood it,s a pleasure to drive and I am averaging 45MPG - 10 mpg better than the T180. I shall defo look at the new Urban-cruiser when it appears later this year but for now this will do.

The one thing there is not are any decent Forums for X3 drivers that is why I never will say goodbye to TOC- Rav4 section cause the banter is soooooo good

regards Clare

Hi, local

as you may have noticed I have now got a BMW X3 2ltr SE diesel 2008 with E/Dynamics. Imust admit I do still see my T180 out and about on the Island. I do like the X3 it is the only one that comes anywhere near the Rav. The one I got just before Xmas was an x BMW pool car 6 months old with very little milage on. I told them what I wanted and my Main Dealer got it me at a very good price. I didn,t want the M Sport version cause they don,t have very good reports regarding hard ride and other things. Touch wood it,s a pleasure to drive and I am averaging 45MPG - 10 mpg better than the T180. I shall defo look at the new Urban-cruiser when it appears later this year but for now this will do.

The one thing there is not are any decent Forums for X3 drivers that is why I never will say goodbye to TOC- Rav4 section cause the banter is soooooo good

regards Clare

X3 :o :thumbsup:

Last time I looked Clare you had a 118d (I think :unsure: )

Good choice not getting the M Sport version, even BMW mags are now saying the ride on all BMW M Sport models is just too hard for the UK's awful roads.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links