Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Glovebox Falling Open?

adilmon

Mr T has taken to removing fitted glove box lids on new Aygos. It appears that a clip that is supposed to remedy the problem with the latch clearance was ineffective.

The platform sharing Peugeot 107 and citroen C1s have the same problem, but thier fix is more effective. Simply order part number 9425AL from any peugeot or citroen garage for £1.40 + vat. It is a small clip that bridges the gap between the top of the glove box lid and the underside of the dashboard, giving the latch more material to hold onto

here's a link

http://my107.blogspot.com/search?updated-m...;max-results=10

This may be a stupid question but here goes.

Why don't Toyota just order the damn part from Peugeot/Citroen or better still just fit it ine the factory in the first place ?

This may be a stupid question but here goes.

Why don't Toyota just order the damn part from Peugeot/Citroen or better still just fit it ine the factory in the first place ?

because the screws used to fit the glove box lid are self tapping, the latch clearance will always vary. The factory is at full production capacity, so they probably dont need the extra grief.

On our Dutch forum we've got a member who's partsmanager for a Toyota dealer and

he's just posted pics of a NEW lid with a redesigned catch that SLIDES instead of pivoting.

Unfortunately I don't know if and when a RHD version will be available...

I work for a Dealer in the southwest. The original glove box lid was withdrawn by Toyota for obvious reasons

* Rattling when closed (excessive free play between catch & hole)

* Falling open (excessive free play between catch & hole)

The lid also suffered from the above when the gap between the upper edge of the closed lid & the upper dash was greater than 2mm (this can be cured by adjusting the lower dash upwards until the gap was closed).

For these issues Toyota also made a small clip which fits into the hole where the catch sits making it smaller. This led to another issue where the handle had to be pulled much harder when opening which in turn led to the lid splitting & the catch / handle falling off. From what I have read elsewhere the general consensus was that the Toyota lid was of a better design & quality than the Peugeot/Citroen part so imagine how bad there choice must be. We have fitted many of these clips which cured the rattle & falling open only for the handle to fall off shortly after. :angry:

Toyota then withdrew the old style lid in late November & promised a new & improved lid would be sorted. A new lid part number has now been published on the Toyota service info site (See attachment) however as of 06/02/09 the part was not yet available to order. As soon as it become available I will post & let you all know. :D

Cheers

Devon

PS: Try here to get the latest Aygo accessories from the Toyota service info site http://www.techdoc.toyota-europe.com/Aim.aspx?menuitem=3

Click on "search AIM"

Pick "Aygo" from drop down menu

Click "search"

New_Glovebox_lid.pdf

Old_blovebox_lid.pdf

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links