Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iq Problem

paul27

Hi to all at TOC,

I just wanted to know if anyone has occured any problems with their IQ's

as mine has only done 750 miles and needs a replacement manual gearbox

can you belive it, i am not best pleased :angry:

Is it Manual or Auto dude?

Thats pretty sucky, any explanation as to whats gone wrong?

Sorry to hear this...

What's the background?

Difficulty engaging gears? Noises?

Were the problems there right from day one?

Has the dealer agreed to replace the gearbox without question?

My understanding is that the iQ has basically an Aygo gearbox but with different ratios...

Tell us more...

Thanks

Dave

The problem i have with the gearbox is i cant select 2nd gear at all, 3rd can be a little tricky at times,

the dealership wont give me a direct answer as to what is causing this,

all ive been told is it needs a new gearbox,

tues 24th i've got to get the car to the dealer & they are going to keep it for as long as it takes

to resolve this problem, so i cant argue with that, but its so frustrating that my brand new car is going wrong

Wow,

I’d say give me a new car NOW!

This is disgusting I’ve just given you £10,300!!!!

Yeah i know, belive me i will be having many words with them to re-emburse me something at least, we'll see

as mine has only done 750 miles and needs a replacement manual gearbox

NO WAY!!!!!!!!

:angry:

mij.jpg

So I'm not the only one!

My car has trouble going into 2nd gear from 3rd so often that I fear I have the same issue.

Will speak to my garage today and demand they fix it.

Hmm - the manual iQ I test drove at Sandhurst was very notchy to get into 2nd.......seems to be common. I've ordered an auto so fingers crossed!

I hope this isn’t the slippery slope downwards :(

I have a bad feeling it is.

they literally couldn't explain the issue to me.....mine is intermittent at best (it happens 2-3 times max in a 12 mile journey to and from work) always when changing from 3rd to 2nd, and it literally feels like you can't put it into gear (it kind of "sticks" half way into gear) I've had to take out of gear into neutral and then try again on several occassions, not good!

they took mine out for a test the other day - and in typical sods law manner it didn't happen once.

Now I've got some ammo to go back again.

If it DOES need a new box (which, going by above it does!) I'm NOT a happy bunny.....with this and the shoddy quality of the interior plastics I'm really starting to regret my purchase tbh! :unsure:

I haven’t heard about any issues with the Aygo gear box which I believe is the same unit.

I do like the iQ but after seeing the Fiat 500 close up this week my loyalties are tested!

I do like the iQ but after seeing the Fiat 500 close up this week my loyalties are tested!

I looked at the 500 too, very nice but THE sticking point for me was how much it looks like a Nissan Micra from the back. That sealed its fate!

i have a feeling that there will be a few more problems with the iq just like any other totally new design of car. the problem is the car has only really been tested on the test track, when joe public gets it hands on it thats when the real testing begins. the car is put to test in the real world of motoring where it is abused and used. There have been a few problems with the iq being reported, if it were me, i would have waited a while to see how people rated the car first before buying, after all the iq has not had the best of reviews?, and i aint cheap??

Which brings me back to a comment I made on another post, with any new car I would wait at least 12 months and even then, maybe for the face lifted version!

I had the same problems with Vista (different subject I know, but same principle) :(

Wow,

I’d say give me a new car NOW!

Not a situation anybody likes, neither you OR your dealer, however as for replacing your car with another, it's just not going to happen, your dealer/Toyota has to have the opportunity to put it right, replacing the car is a long way down the line

Kingo :thumbsup:

Which brings me back to a comment I made on another post, with any new car I would wait at least 12 months and even then, maybe for the face lifted version!

I had the same problems with Vista (different subject I know, but same principle) :(

This is becoming the norm, the first purchasers of any new concept, whether software or vehicular, become the final line of beta testers and as long as, in this case, the Toyota infrastructure and service backup are up to it, it shouldn't be too traumatic for owners.

I kind of expected teething problems and do not really mind as long as I am not left stranded somewhere for hours!

It is an exciting, innovative little car that is full of character and I can't see me buying anything different...certainly not a run of the mill eurobox no matter how reliable...and how reliable ARE Fiats these days?!

i totally agree

i totally agree

Part of me said: "be sensible and wait for them to iron out issues"

the other part said "OMGWTF!!! THAT CAR IS A BEAUTY, BUT IT NOW AND SHOW OFF"

So yeah, I bought on impulse! :D

i totally agree

For once., I agree with TVOR too!

But the thing is, the same with Vista, that you do need people to buy it to "test run" it... if no one did then no problems would ever be highlighted, so although I feel for the owners experiencing problems, the fact they are will help future owners with their decisions.... :yes:

As much as I think the 500 is a cracking car, I do still think of Fix It Again Tomorrow..... :blink:

I haven’t heard about any issues with the Aygo gear box which I believe is the same unit.

It isn't the same gearbox as the Aygo. The iQ has a new, lower-resistance box.

However, I did notice it didn't always go cleanly into 2nd on my test drive. Hope that isn't going to prove to be a problem.

Might free up with a few miles I guess.

Paul.

For once., I agree with TVOR too!

But the thing is, the same with Vista, that you do need people to buy it to "test run" it...

You always agree with me but you don’t want to admit it publicly!

The thing is, Vista only cost a couple of hundred quid, a new iQ is over 10 grand which is a lot of money to play guinea pig.

Hi guys,

sad to hear of all these problems with the manual gearbox. ( I've ordered an auto. ) Everyone is talking about this being a new design, unproven, and all that, but hasnt this car been on sale in Japan for a longtime before it was available over here. Surely, the Japanese will have come across the same problems. Does anybody know how long it has been on the roads in Japan ? Or does any body know of a Japanes forum ( could anybody read it ) ?

PS I just had a look around on the net, it seems that it hit the streets in Japan in November 2008.

Paul27, can I ask you a question please? the problem you had, did it start with just a stuck/notchy feeling when changing gear, how did it first rear it's head? At the moment I sometimes get a "stuck" sensation mid gear change, which results in me either having to pop it back into neutral and then back into gear or wrench the stick to get into gear!!! :(

I'm guessing that as you clocked up 750 odd miles it wasn't a huge issue to start....did it one day just stop going into gear?

it really worries me tbh as I'm heading to Leamington on Friday for the weekend.....I've done 500 odd miles and my gears stick about 3/4 times a journey going from 3rd to 2nd gear (it's only on down changes from 3rd to 2nd) if the box seizes completely while I'm away I'm stuffed!!!

Also, which garage is yours with? I want to report this development with your car to the Basingstoke Toyota branch so they can cross reference and get my car sorted ASAP!

thanks

Paul27, can I ask you a question please? the problem you had, did it start with just a stuck/notchy feeling when changing gear, how did it first rear it's head? At the moment I sometimes get a "stuck" sensation mid gear change, which results in me either having to pop it back into neutral and then back into gear or wrench the stick to get into gear!!! :(

I'm guessing that as you clocked up 750 odd miles it wasn't a huge issue to start....did it one day just stop going into gear?

it really worries me tbh as I'm heading to Leamington on Friday for the weekend.....I've done 500 odd miles and my gears stick about 3/4 times a journey going from 3rd to 2nd gear (it's only on down changes from 3rd to 2nd) if the box seizes completely while I'm away I'm stuffed!!!

Also, which garage is yours with? I want to report this development with your car to the Basingstoke Toyota branch so they can cross reference and get my car sorted ASAP!

thanks

Hi brassik sorry so long to reply,

It did start with a notchy feeling but i had it from 1st to 2nd & also 3rd to 2nd.

I pick my IQ up on friday (5 days later) they have not replaced the gearbox at this stage,

apparently they made some tweaks to the gearbox including the gear linkage's

so we'll just have to wait and see how that goes for now.

My dealership is in guildford (INCHCAPE) hope i've been some help

Cheers :D