Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Sprint Series Round 2

PaulT

Finally got the chance to take on the mighty TRD-prepared Vitz driven by Janey from LOC at the weekend in round 2 of the TSS!

It's a bit alarming as class F has suddenly got a lot more competitive, but luckily the Aygo was quickest and none of the three Vitz drivers managed to keep up :toast:

And for a bonus, Bazza-san's Yaris T Sport was also defeated, again, by several hundredths of a second :thumbsup:

Ok, now the analysis. Here are three photos taken by aztecbandit1 on the TSS forum:

pic1.jpg

Janey taking a bit of grass :D

pic2-1.jpg

pic3-1.jpg

The configuration and fastest times of the three cars are as follows:

My Aygo: TTE lowering springs, stock dampers, track tyres - 64.31 sec.

Janey's Vitz: TRD coilovers, track tyres 66.86 sec.

Bazza's Yaris TS: stock springs and dampers, track tyres (although maybe not optimal for dry tarmac) - 64.37 sec.

Last year I did a 64.25 sec lap with a slightly heavier car (no race seats and heavier wheels), so it looks at first glance like we have gone backwards a bit. But my consistency this year was much better, as I ran five laps in the 64s compared to just the one last year.

Stiffening the rear torsion bar has helped with the predictability of the rear end, but it hasn't helped me to get much quicker. Dave Ellen, of Prolex fame, was one of the other Vitz drivers and he took me for a lap round the course after the racing in the Vitz. It was immediately noticeable how much more settled it felt in the corners than the Aygo and I guess this is due to the trick coilovers. Under braking and moderate cornering the Aygo lifts the inside rear very easily because the front is much too soft.

Bazza's car is also benefitting from being more stiffly sprung than mine. Track Developments are thinking about what to do with my front anti-roll bar but it looks like I could probably do with stiffer springs and dampers as well.

Andy (Zakelwe) suggested the Koni sport adjustable dampers on the My107 web site and I have a query in with the Koni resellers in the UK as to what the damping rates are of these parts. Does anybody have any more information about these? Also, I'd like to know what the rates of the stock Aygo dampers are. The dealer didn't have that information on the Toyota computer.

Looks like Tein will make stiffer springs for a given length and rate, so if we can sort out a set of dampers we should be able to get stiffer springs to match.

We don't want to get beaten by any Yarises this year, so if anybody spots any other Aygo suspension parts, please let me know :D

Paul.

Good result again Paul against the Yarii. :thumbsup: Shame the time has not come down after your weight loss. Do you know how your weight distribution has changed since you started removing weight? I would guess the backend is pretty light now so is it a case of the front being too soft and the back being too stiff for the lack of weight in that part of the car now you have junked seats and spare wheel, body panels etc ? You do seem to be loading up the outside left there ..poor little tyre !

Whatever, it means it produces the best photo's by a mile !

Good luck with finding the info on the shock absorbers and when you get the handling how you like and the times down let us know so we can all lazily copy. :yes: ;)

Regards

Andy

Nice report Paul :thumbsup:

out of all the toyota's I have used on track the Yaris has given me the biggest grin by far, Shame I missed out on a run in yours on sun as I feel I would have learnt a few things.

Gonna have ya next time though......I have a cunning plan Baldrick :rolleyes:

See ya soon Buddy

Well done Paul! Glad to see you and the Aygo top of your class again

Quality pics also!

• 2 weeks later...
Finally got the chance to take on the mighty TRD-prepared Vitz driven by Janey from LOC at the weekend in round 2 of the TSS!

It's a bit alarming as class F has suddenly got a lot more competitive, but luckily the Aygo was quickest and none of the three Vitz drivers managed to keep up :toast:

And for a bonus, Bazza-san's Yaris T Sport was also defeated, again, by several hundredths of a second :thumbsup:

LOL not quite so mighty as I'd hoped :lol: TBH you're a darn sight better driver than me so for the time being you can have your glory :P & guess at least I beat the other two driving the same car & Baz has just got to be next on my hit list :lol: (luv ya Baz :thumbsup: )

It was my 1st time on track with the little fella & I had a great time, after spectating for all of last year wishing I was out there driving I was just happy to be 'playing' at last. Though I do reckon Dave & Kami's Coldplay CD that was playing definitely hampered my runs :rolleyes: so I've got Linkin Park at full blast lined up for Woodbridge B)

Press release for Round 2 @ Barkson Heath can be found here if anyone wants a nose :D

Dave & Kami's Coldplay CD that was playing definitely hampered my runs :rolleyes:

Some people have taken that as conclusive proof that Dave is in fact the Stig :D

Anyway, we've got Woodbridge up next and the Bazza situation is getting serious. Don't want to risk another close call like last time so my tuners are looking at bolting an additional anti-roll bar onto the front of the car.

We looked at moving the attachment points for the stock bar, but it is all so tightly packaged that there is not much room to take a drop link off the strut, for example. So hopefully come Woodbridge we'll have a little bit less body roll on the front!

Paul.

Dave & Kami's Coldplay CD that was playing definitely hampered my runs :rolleyes:

Some people have taken that as conclusive proof that Dave is in fact the Stig :D

Anyway, we've got Woodbridge up next and the Bazza situation is getting serious. Don't want to risk another close call like last time so my tuners are looking at bolting an additional anti-roll bar onto the front of the car.

We looked at moving the attachment points for the stock bar, but it is all so tightly packaged that there is not much room to take a drop link off the strut, for example. So hopefully come Woodbridge we'll have a little bit less body roll on the front!

Paul.

Hahaha Stiggy Dave :lol:

I remember the roll you had last year @ Woodbridge so hopefully your guys can get that reduced ... though thats going to make you faster.....don't do it :lol:

I think it's inevitable that the Paul/Bazza battle is going to get even more interesting as the year goes on & will be even better than the Adrian/Johnny one :thumbsup:

I've just adapted the suspension key for the Vitz as I couldn't get it in to adjust the front because of the strut brace & the lip thats there so a quick whizz with the drill and extra length added onto the key & hopefully I can adjust it to suit the track more this time.

Must do some h/brake & left foot practice as it's hell trying to get the power back up after the corners :rolleyes:

Well done Jane for doing so well in your first event :thumbsup: I might come up and watch at some point, that's how scared I am of competing ...

You can tell Paul's car is a He from the way it !Removed! it's back leg :D

Regards

Andy

Well done Jane for doing so well in your first event :thumbsup: I might come up and watch at some point, that's how scared I am of competing ...

You can tell Paul's car is a He from the way it !Removed! it's back leg :D

Regards

Andy

Cheers Andy :D Would be great to see you & maybe Paul, Bazza & I could convince you to have a go (one way or another :bangin::lol:) Could really do with some more Aygos/Yaris' in the Sprint - we are now down to 3 drivers in our class as the other girly who was driving mine has dropped out :(

LOL yep Paul's car does seem to like the 3 wheel position .... think I need to go round those corners faster to get some great pics like you see of him cocking his leg (the car that is not Paul :lol:)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links