Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Cleaning

Noddy2

Noddy2 Right off the subject of crunchy's gearbox hick up.

I have recently bought quite a lot of the Turtll cleaning products.....ICE. to list the one's I have bought and used now follow's,

ICE clay Bar------ It's a sort of wash stuff you have to rince the car then use clay bar with the supplied spongy applicator rince again towel then dry....... Its ok but because of the rinces its no better I think than a good wash and wax.

ICE Liquid polish--------- Exelent I would recomend this product to anyone it is so quick to use even in hot weather a very good shine.

ICE glass cleaner ------- Another good product if you dont use too much there is no smearing even with kitchen towel.

Ice Interior cleaner----- Has to be one of the best Ive used for a long time it doesent seem to leav those horrible smudges that most do.

ICE Synthetic Wheel Cleaner----Its good but if you are like me it could be worrying if there is a mark on your wheel laquer will it get under and permiantly spoil your wheels dont want that as they are nice and pritty on my SR.

ICE Spray Detailer------Its a sort of watered down version of the Liquid Polish good if you used it every day who has time for that.

ICE Bug & Tar------ I didnt think it was tat effective it sort of say's use on a clean car ????

On reflection after spending a lot of pounds on cleaning products I would use (after using up wot I have) A good wash and wax then Liquid Wax .If needed Ice Glass cleaner.

Ice interior for the inside.

But what do I know.

Noddy2 Right off the subject of crunchy's gearbox hick up.

I have recently bought quite a lot of the Turtll cleaning products.....ICE. to list the one's I have bought and used now follow's,

ICE Clay Bar------ It's a sort of wash stuff you have to rince the car then use clay bar with the supplied spongy applicator rince again towel then dry....... Its ok but because of the rinces its no better I think than a good wash and wax.

ICE Liquid polish--------- Exelent I would recomend this product to anyone it is so quick to use even in hot weather a very good shine.

ICE glass cleaner ------- Another good product if you dont use too much there is no smearing even with kitchen towel.

Ice Interior cleaner----- Has to be one of the best Ive used for a long time it doesent seem to leav those horrible smudges that most do.

ICE Synthetic Wheel Cleaner----Its good but if you are like me it could be worrying if there is a mark on your wheel laquer will it get under and permiantly spoil your wheels dont want that as they are nice and pritty on my SR.

ICE Spray Detailer------Its a sort of watered down version of the Liquid Polish good if you used it every day who has time for that.

ICE Bug & Tar------ I didnt think it was tat effective it sort of say's use on a clean car ????

On reflection after spending a lot of pounds on cleaning products I would use (after using up wot I have) A good wash and wax then Liquid Wax .If needed Ice Glass cleaner.

Ice interior for the inside.

But what do I know.

Maybe if you're gearbox worked it would be easier and quicker going down to the local jet wash :lol:

Whares the fun in that thats not cleaning your car propper

you did not say it was supposed to be fun, sorry

Noddy2 - thanks for the review, it is often a mini-minefield to pick what best from the huge range of products available...

Only problem is, you’re always gonna get different opinions off people - like one bloke (body shop bloke) told me - that Maguire’s is the best, but is it!? Seems good stuff, but is it the BEST?

Matt

I go to the Autoexpress web site.. They do a lot of product tests in their magazine and publish the results.

There are loads of tests on clay bars, polishes, glazes and waxes. Maguires stuff is good and better than most, but there are some even better ones out there if you want to pay for the best....

There's a separate forum for "Detailing" within the Toyota Owners Club web site that has a lot more info on it.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=97

Different products (and different manufacturers products) do different things and produce different effects, so its impossible to say one is better than the other.

Preparations the key to a good finish and that's where the clay bar comes in. It removes surface grime that washing doesn't.

After that, there are "polishes" which put a shine on by removing a fraction of the surface (they are very slightly abrasive). You shouldn't polish more than twice a year, otherwise you'll eventually wear through your paint.

Then there are "glazes" or "waxes" that apply a layer of protection to the polished surface.

So the key is to have a very clean and shiny polished surface before you apply the wax or glaze protection - othersie you're sealing in the dirt and grime and won't get the best results...

So once or twice a year, you should wash, clay and polish the car, but then you should wash & wax it more often in between to keep the paint protected.

The Yaris Owners Manual actually tells you to wax the car every month to protect the paint - did you realise that? My wife thinks I'm obsessive, but I only wax every three or four months......

I used to use a good wax to protect my cars, but the latest school of thought, for best results, is that you should only use waxes on solid paint. On metallics you should use a "glaze" instead.

The reason for this is that wax protects well, but doesn't have the optical; clarity of a glaze, so it doesn't alolow the metallic paint flakes to shine through as well as a glaze.

I've just done all three of my cars in the Werkstat Acrylic kit from polishedbliss.co.uk with very pleasing results. I've posted more details in my thread on the detailing section here....

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=98485

If you're really interested, there's even more info on "detailing" in the detailing forum at the audi-sport.net site. Somehow people with Audi's seem to be more obsessive about their car's finish than people on this Toyota forum and there's a lot more info there....

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=116

Thanks for that information - iv just spent a good hour reading all that!! certainly helped de-mistify the world of car care... :)

doesnt realy matter what produt you use when some uncareing idiot puts a trolly down the side at the supermarket car park. as I have seen some do.

the clay bar i thought was to remove any contaminants from the body of the car. it does leave a deep shine once the polish and wax is applied though

and you go ahead and take your car to a car wash. youll have dirty wheel arches, missed bits. and even better, on a nice sunny day, check out your paint work. those swirls look nice ;)

i wash n wax every week, apply tyre black wet look stuff every week. polish and clay every 6 months (so far)

I did my Yaris today. Good wash with megs shampoo, towelled dry then wax'd using megs quick wax...Total time, 45mins. ;)

I sometimes use Autosmart Mirror Image, say every 3months as this gets a lot of grime out the paint.

Then it gets clayed every 6months.

I allways find that by doing this, the paintwork is amazing on a 9yr old car....Then again, my yaris IS an amazing litte car. :lol:

check these guys out , the help n how to section is top notch http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/guides.html

I agree. That's where I got my advice and bought my latest stuff.

But - They actually write on the Audi-Sport.net detailing section I linked to above, so they have even more info on there and you can actually post questions and queries to the guys on the audi-sport site and get personal advice....

yeah they are on a bunch of forums including bmw porkers and scoobs. very clever way of getting and building a buisiness

Just thought I'd post some piccies of the results of the Werkstat Acrylic kit....

You can see the flake of the metallic paint really shines through, even at a very shallow angle and the car is developing a very "wet look" shine after just six coats of the "Jett Trigger" glaze.

If you see the picture of the roof, when I used wax you couldn't see the flake, it was just a bland grey reflection when viewed at a shallow angle due to the different opacity of wax compared to the glaze.

It's the first polish I've ever bought that I'm going out to buy the same again, having run out.....

dscf3830.jpg

You can see the flake really clearly on this view, that you couldn't when using a wax finish...

dscf3827d.jpg

dscf3828.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links