Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Glass Hell

cyclopse

The little one smashed the rear glass on my Yaris SR.

Windscreen man said he coulnt fix it because rear spoiler is in the way. It doesn't have mounting bolts so I assume its stuck on. He said hes not allowed to touch it!

Bodywork shop said they can get it off but there will be some damage and will need repainting.

Is there an easy way to get the spoiler off or can the rear glass be replaced without removing it.

Thanks

Cyclopse

How the heck did he do that?????????????????????????

He was playing with a metal rod that was part of a saucepan stand that had been dismantled. Did not see it happen but he must have thrown it up in the air and hey presto.......!!!! Now we have a problem getting it repaired.

I have had a look at the workshop manual for the mk2 yaris and it shows 2 mounting bolts and 2 locating clips for the spoiler but I'm afraid it's for the Yaris sold/built in the States.(you would think that they are all made the same) I think they are fixed differently over here, 1 x 6mm bolt, 1 x 6mm grub screw and then glued. If yours is the latter then you can get to the 6mm bolt by unplugging the rubber on the left hand side of the tailgate where the wiring loom goes into the body., at the opposite end of the spoiler the grub screw pushes into a threaded plug/grommet, and inbetween the two fixings the spoiler is glued using the same stuff that windscreens are set in. It can be removed but it's going to be a right ball ache! You can tell if it's fixed to the car like it is in the States because it will have 2 access covers that can be unplugged to get to the fixings.

I don't know if this has been much help but best of luck.

Please let us know how you get on.

I have had a look at the workshop manual for the mk2 yaris and it shows 2 mounting bolts and 2 locating clips for the spoiler but I'm afraid it's for the Yaris sold/built in the States.(you would think that they are all made the same) I think they are fixed differently over here, 1 x 6mm bolt, 1 x 6mm grub screw and then glued. If yours is the latter then you can get to the 6mm bolt by unplugging the rubber on the left hand side of the tailgate where the wiring loom goes into the body., at the opposite end of the spoiler the grub screw pushes into a threaded plug/grommet, and inbetween the two fixings the spoiler is glued using the same stuff that windscreens are set in. It can be removed but it's going to be a right ball ache! You can tell if it's fixed to the car like it is in the States because it will have 2 access covers that can be unplugged to get to the fixings.

I don't know if this has been much help but best of luck.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks for that Stantheman. We have had a close look and cant find any bolts or screws - even the chap at the body shop couldn't help. Seems a shame to damage the paint work and possibly the spoiler in trying to remove it. Not too sure if is is absolutely necessary anyway. I think this may take a while to resolve!!!. :(

What year and model is your sr?

Mine's a mk1 and i'm sure the (TTE) rear spoiler is just stuck on.

If your's is like that, can you not just pull the thing off? Maybe heating the glue or tape with something like a heat gun or hairdryer?

Good luck! ;)

Most motor insurers cover the replacement costs for the glass and any subsequent body damage.

Just a thought ..........would you be covered for the extra work required by your insurance.

Hope that you manage to get it sorted out soon :thumbsup:

Your best bet is your insurance. As above, they usually cover glass breakage with a smaller excess and it doesn't affect your no-claims discount....

Worth an ask.

This is a Toyota technical forum with fitting instructions for accessories that might help....

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/default.aspx

Here is a search for all the Yaris spoilers.

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/Aim.aspx?menuitem=2

I've looked at the 2005 PDF for the 2006-on model and that is both glued and bolted....

Bonded and bolted, if you pull back the rubber boot for the wiring from the Shell to the tailgate, you should find a bolt, also the oppersite side will either be a boot or grommet. It will still be bonded like hell though.

Any body shop taking said job may damage spoiler, hence a new one needed, paint will also need to be touched in on tailgate.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links