Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Mkii Problems.

ted1903

I have just got myself an mr2 mkII (1990) and it has a few problems, perhaps someone can help.

First and the main problem is an oil leak, can't quite make out where its leaking but its on the drivers side and dripping down onto the half shaft - is there a common fault? Rocker gasket on that side is a little wet, sump is very wet but not around the drain plug.

Key has been half snapped in the ignition barrel the other key I have is just for the boot so even if I get the broken part out won't be able to get a key cut. Would Toyota be able to supply another key? Are these keys transponder coded?

I have just got myself an mr2 mkII (1990) and it has a few problems, perhaps someone can help.

First and the main problem is an oil leak, can't quite make out where its leaking but its on the drivers side and dripping down onto the half shaft - is there a common fault? Rocker gasket on that side is a little wet, sump is very wet but not around the drain plug.

Key has been half snapped in the ignition barrel the other key I have is just for the boot so even if I get the broken part out won't be able to get a key cut. Would Toyota be able to supply another key? Are these keys transponder coded?

Hi mate

Common fault is the rocker gasket leaking and the oil dripping down ,try spaying everything with gunk to clean it up ,and you might see where its coming from

usually they drip on the alternator and ruin these as well,so worth doing

there should be two keys ,one is a valet key and will only do certain things ,used when your car goes into a garage ?

maybe the boot lock has been changed thats why it wont fit anything else

Ignition barrel and locks are easy to change so thats your best option

sounds bad but ive got a ignition barrel with key and a boot lock i can sell you?

Hi mate

Common fault is the rocker gasket leaking and the oil dripping down ,try spaying everything with gunk to clean it up ,and you might see where its coming from

usually they drip on the alternator and ruin these as well,so worth doing

there should be two keys ,one is a valet key and will only do certain things ,used when your car goes into a garage ?

maybe the boot lock has been changed thats why it wont fit anything else

Ignition barrel and locks are easy to change so thats your best option

sounds bad but ive got a ignition barrel with key and a boot lock i can sell you?

Keys for a 1990 aren't transponder keys.

A 'proper' locksmith doesn't use an old fashioned key replicator. If you take the broken key to a decent place he will be able to cut a replacement without much bother.

(assuming you can get it out.)

Thankyou for the answers so far, as for the rocker cover there are no bolts round the outside. Do I take the plugs out and remove the four big nuts? Sorry for asking the questions but this is my first mr2 or Toyota for that matter.

Been trying to find a manual to download (for free).

Thankyou for the answers so far, as for the rocker cover there are no bolts round the outside. Do I take the plugs out and remove the four big nuts? Sorry for asking the questions but this is my first mr2 or Toyota for that matter.

Been trying to find a manual to download (for free).

http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/mechanical/index_mechanical.htm

Its for a 91, cant imagine that much of a difference.

Well my sadness deepens………… :crybaby:

Bought a set of locks from a breakers, they arrived and are wrong! The possible giveaway was a tag on the keys which are for an L reg car - mine is a mk2 1990, H Reg.

The boot lock has a longer barrel and the ignition mountings look different. Is it possible to change over the lock part instead of replacing the whole assembly? :help:

The longer boot lock is because the rear center panel on a Rev 3 upward sits flush with the lights.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

You can pull the lock apart and swap the barrels into the old lock. It's an easy, but time consuming job.

There is a guide **somewhere** on how to do this, either search on here, or on IMOC.

Well finally got a replacement lock set and fitted them yesturday so thats another problem out of the way, waxoyled doors while the cards were off.

Spray the wiper arms and fitted new Wiper Blades (Bosch ones)

New aerial in place, boot liner has been fixed with new push clips. Fixed toyota cd player and replaced worn gear boot for a new leather one.

The car is starting to come together but there are still a few jobs to do, mainly that oil leak and a new throttle cable is need.

I'll also clean and waxoyl the under side while I'm hunting the leak.

I bought this car in heavy rain and didn't spend the time I should of looking round it, if I did, I would of walked away.........

Seemed a cheap car but now I know why...........

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links