Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Charcoal Filter?

geordiejohn

hello i had a service done on my Yaris X-reg CDI 1.3 Auto and was told by the man who did the service he would change my charcoal filter,but when he had finished the service he said he had done everything except change the charcoal filter,he said dont worry about it as it should be ok until next year,he showed me a black box type thing under the bonnet near the windshield and when i asked if i could just pull it out and change it he said it was not that easy,does anyone know how i could change this myself please bearing in mind i am not great at doing these things?

thank you.

Aha, so that's what it is then! ;)

Can't help you mate, i have one on mine and i've absolutely no idea what it does or why it's there! :lol:

I think it is called the charcoal canister and it absorbs fuel vapours.

thank you but do you know how i can change it please?

thank you.

First remove the two pipes and then slide the cannister upwards to remove it from the bracket.

I had my 1.0 for eight years and followed the service plan religiously and I don't remember the service book to ever suggest changing the charcoal cannister as part of normal servicing.

Am I wrong?

Looking in the service manual for my new 1.3 Yaris, it says to "inspect" it every two years, but the only Toyota model where you need to ever replace it is the Aygo - and that's just every 60,000 miles....

First remove the two pipes and then slide the cannister upwards to remove it from the bracket.

ok thank you very much,i only want to change the charcoal filter because the mechanic said he forgot to do it and i dont think it would hurt except my pocket to do it.

It won't hurt to change it, but I don't think it will make any difference really - all its meant to do is soak up any stray petrol vapour so that it doesn't escape into the atmosphere. Doesn't affect car's performance at all....

If it wasn't a Toyota garage that you went to, then some cars require them to be changed and some car's are designed not to need them changed.

When the guy said that he planned to change it, he won't have checked the specific service guide for your car to check whether it needed changing or not....

And because its not a standard "replaceable" swervice part, you won't get one at a reasonable price from a parts shop or motor factors, you'll have to go to the main dealer to buy one at full price....

Really - Don't worry about it.... Its designed not to need changing....

It won't hurt to change it, but I don't think it will make any difference really - all its meant to do is soak up any stray petrol vapour so that it doesn't escape into the atmosphere. Doesn't affect car's performance at all....

If it wasn't a Toyota garage that you went to, then some cars require them to be changed and some car's are designed not to need them changed.

When the guy said that he planned to change it, he won't have checked the specific service guide for your car to check whether it needed changing or not....

And because its not a standard "replaceable" swervice part, you won't get one at a reasonable price from a parts shop or motor factors, you'll have to go to the main dealer to buy one at full price....

Really - Don't worry about it.... Its designed not to need changing....

ok thank you i wont bother then.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links