Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear View Mirror

djs2009

Hi all,

Sorry if this seems like a silly question.

In my Yaris d4d the seat is not height adjustable, and the rear view mirror gets right in the way of seeing out the left area of the front window.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience with removing the mirror, and putting back on maybe a bit higher?

It looks like its just stuck with a sticky pad, but I don't wanna mess things up.

Thanks

I don't recommend the sticky pad unless the mirror is super light; It's quick and easy, but the ones from Halfords are garbage and will drop off if there's any condensation and you happen to be driving on a bumpy road! :lol:

However, they do a 2-part epoxy kit which works very well. You need to clean both surfaces very thoroughly (Use meths!) slather the liquid part on both surfaces, then put the gauze pad on the mirror side and press the whole lot together until it sets.

Only downside is you need to hold it there for a bit until it sets enough (Do it on a sunny day or it'll take ages! The one time I've had to do this was in winter and I ended up duct-taping it to the screen because there wasn't enough UV to cure the epoxy! :lol:)

Autoglass are coming round tommorrow to fit a new screen, I will see what they use and report back.

Don’t take your mirror off, it will end in tears :(

yeah the pads from Halfords are crap in my old car my bby pulled the rear mirror off and i bought the sticky pads ..next day i drove over a speed bump and the thing fell off..in the end i super glued the bugger on lol

Autoglass are coming round tommorrow to fit a new screen, I will see what they use and report back.

Thanks, will be interesting to hear about this.

3M sticky pads will do the job. Autoglass used a sticky pad last time I had a screen replaced. If you want a glue 3M and Loctite do a specific one for attaching rear view mirrors to windscreens.

Be carefull as you can easily crack the screen removing the rear view mirror. Heat the sticky pad up with a hairdryer and remove the mirror gently.

Slight off-topic; What Yaris do you have? I was under the impression all Yaris' drivers seats were height adjustable :unsure:

Thanks, will be interesting to hear about this.

Autoglass have just been and replaced the screen, the mirror is attatched to a bracket which is stuck to the screen. He removed the mirror by sliding it upwards out of the bracket, when the new screen was fitted it already had the bracket in place and all he had to do was slide it back on.

He said they have to use sticky pads on some vehicles as not all cars come with the bracket fitted. I managed to cadge a sticky pad off him and if you still want to remove your mirror then i would be happy to let you have the pad free of charge.

I don't think you can put it much higher in any case but if you are only talking mm's then why dont you try sliding the mirror up on the bracket a little, it may suffice, but like i said if you would like the pad then please get in touch.

Hi all,

Sorry if this seems like a silly question.

In my Yaris d4d the seat is not height adjustable, and the rear view mirror gets right in the way of seeing out the left area of the front window.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience with removing the mirror, and putting back on maybe a bit higher?

It looks like its just stuck with a sticky pad, but I don't wanna mess things up.

Thanks

You could try looking at different mirrors, on diff cars! my school Yaris is non-adjustable, but my own one has a mirror that adjust up and down on a ball joint ASWELL as swivel round for angle! DO NOT USE SUPERGLUE!!!!!

This is VERY likely to cause the screen to crack.. More a matter of when, not if! Great big NO-NO!!! :angry::angry:

Don’t take your mirror off, it will end in tears :(

yeah the pads from Halfords are crap in my old car my bby pulled the rear mirror off and i bought the sticky pads ..next day i drove over a speed bump and the thing fell off..in the end i super glued the bugger on lol

Oh dear... wait a while... it WILL crack!!! superglue re-acts with the structure of the glass!! :(

The entry level Yaris doesn’t have driver seat height adjustment (T2?), the rest do.

There is also a little clue that the screen comes with the bracket already attached, this would tell me it was done in the factory and designed not to be taken off.

Thanks for the replies. mine is the d4d t3.

There's no adjustable seat, and there's no bracket thing either.

I have however found a solution. The mirror uses a ball joint, 2 of them.

So I've managed to rotate the mirror until it's upside down, it's now much higher, and still does the job. :)

p.s - StanTheMan1 - Thank you for reserving me the sticky pad, very kind of you. Now that I've found a solution to the mirror problem, I no longer need to remove the mirror.

Thanks anyway

I have however found a solution. The mirror uses a ball joint, 2 of them.

So I've managed to rotate the mirror until it's upside down, it's now much higher, and still does the job. :)

LOL! Genius!! :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links