Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Do You Guy`s Think,,,,? Auris Vs Urban Cruiser

darrencox

Hi all,

New member here so hello everyone.

I have a dilema,,,,,,At the moment I own a Yaris 1.3 t3 with sport pack in venitian silver on a 56 plate from new.

Its been a cracking car and my first Toyota and I must add the service from the dealer is spot on,hence i will be staying with Toyota.

I will be changing and was hoping to stick with the Yaris but uprgrade to an SR but have been told they are no longer made with the 1.8 vvti engine,only the 1.33,which will be pretty much what i`m driving at the moment.

I will be test driving an Auris next week and if happy will go for the 1.6 tr (they no longer manufacture in the SR trim :angry: ) but have just seen the Urban cruiser in the show room. I have heard that these are expensive and only come in 1.3 and 1.4 deisel.

Do any of you guys own an Urban Cruiser or test drove one ?

How do they compare to the Auris in comfort,value etc.

What are your thoughts on the two cars and which would you choose given the choice ?

Thanks in advance

Darren Cox

Hey Darren, welcome along.

Unfortunately I haven't driven an Auris or an Urban Cruiser as they are both bigger than I need. I like the look of them both but can't really give any advice. It might be worth asking the same question in the Auris or Urban cruiser forums and seeing why the owners there plumped for one rather than the other, or if they've got any regrets in doing so.

Good luck.

Later,

Mick

If I was in the market I would be seriously looking at the Urban Cruiser, I think it looks pretty cool :thumbsup:

Agree with reece, if I could afford it I would buy the Urban Cruiser on looks, i've got to be happy with a Yaris for now. Only issue would be is the engine choice good enough for you?

I understand that the Urban Cruiser is based on the Yaris, so I'd expect the Auris to drive like a slightly bigger car...

Report I read said the UC was OK, but a lot of money for a car based on a Yaris....

I'm afraid I disagree Waxxy.

The reason the Auris goes up to a lot higher price is that you can get it in bigger and more high powered versions. There's an SR 180bhp model of the Auris and a couple of 2-litre diesels - with a T-Spirit trim grade you can't get on the UC.

The Urban Cruiser is based on the Yaris and is only available with the Yaris's 1.33 and 1.4D engines...

If you spec out comparative models with the same sized engines and similar features, the Urban Cruiser is £700-£1000 extra for the same engine and spec.

So you're paying a premium for the style. If that's what you want to do then fine...

But to compare you have to compare models with similar engines and standard features, you can't just look to see how much the most expensive model is in each range....

As it happens, I like the UC's style, but the fact that its only available with the Yaris's 1.33 and 1.4D engines belies its origins and if you're looking for one as your main family car, it might be a bit small or underpowered and you can get an awful lot of other non-Toyota cars for your £15,000 or so.....

I htink the UC's oneof those cars that people will want to buy with their heart because its different, but like the IQ, its a lot of money for what you get...

i wasnt comparing specs i was just saying the urban is cheaper and in my opinion it looks a nicer car the auris just looks like a fat yaris lol

Personally - looking at the photos of the Urban Cruiser i think its lines are boring, and i think its a fairly ugly car.

I cant imagine it being that great to drive either - there aint much choice of engines - seems a taller car, so cornering might not be great. also - have you noticed how narrow the windows are -- and how narrow/high up the rear one is -- I expect visibility to be "not so good" - which would make manoeuvring harder.

Its interior looks ok - although i'm not much for the huge silver bit running down the centre of the dash...toooo much silver. A dark dash with a little bit of silver is nice - but thats overboard.

That combined with its overall square appearance (which could go out of fashion/age quickly) is a no for me...

Matt :)

Personally - looking at the photos of the Urban Cruiser i think its lines are boring, and i think its a fairly ugly car.

I cant imagine it being that great to drive either - there aint much choice of engines - seems a taller car, so cornering might not be great. also - have you noticed how narrow the windows are -- and how narrow/high up the rear one is -- I expect visibility to be "not so good" - which would make manoeuvring harder.

Its interior looks ok - although i'm not much for the huge silver bit running down the centre of the dash...toooo much silver. A dark dash with a little bit of silver is nice - but thats overboard.

That combined with its overall square appearance (which could go out of fashion/age quickly) is a no for me...

Matt :)

Yep, i agree. I think it's awfull tbh. What the hell is an "Urban Cruiser" anyway? Sounds like someone who frequents the red misted, back streets of large city's! :lol:

Or to put it bluntly, some perv who cruises the red light zone's!! :lol:

no offense toyboata but you drive a aygo !!! that means youve not got a good sense on what makes a good looking car lol..ive seen condoms with more room in them than the aygo has inside its boot lol nd the headlights look like theyve been designed by clarence the crosseyed lion..:P

before everyone starts ragging on me im only teasing :P

each to there own i guess if everyone liked the same style of car wed all be driving the same car:) either one you choose will be good choice there both nice relible cars

no offense toyboata but you drive a aygo !!! that means youve not got a good sense on what makes a good looking car lol..ive seen condoms with more room in them than the aygo has inside its boot lol nd the headlights look like theyve been designed by clarence the crosseyed lion..:P

:jawdrop:

I agree the boot is useless, but then again - i never use the boot! :thumbsup:

In terms of style tho, I think its a pretty stylish car (esp for a Toyota) - these guys agree

:jerry:

But ya know, style and looks are a quick changing and subjective thing...and at the end of the day, there all Toyotas, never been known for excellent styling - but good reliable, high residual value cars! B)

Matt :wub:

sorry for teasing you mate :)

i know the aygos popular when i traded my old astra in for the scrappage scheme i asked had they had any others who,ve scrapped there cars in and he showed me a list of cars on order and they were nearlly all yaris trs or aygo blacks.i think compared to other small cars on the market the aygos best of the bunch.i did check out the iq and that does look nice with lots of cool gadegets in it but its not practical if youve got more than 1 mate or kids the boots only like a pocket and its crampped in the back.

sorry for teasing you mate :)

i know the aygos popular when i traded my old astra in for the scrappage scheme i asked had they had any others who,ve scrapped there cars in and he showed me a list of cars on order and they were nearlly all yaris trs or aygo blacks.i think compared to other small cars on the market the aygos best of the bunch.i did check out the iq and that does look nice with lots of cool gadegets in it but its not practical if youve got more than 1 mate or kids the boots only like a pocket and its crampped in the back.

:group-cuddles:

Yeah, For me the IQ is just toooo much money for its size/what it is (i know theres loads of gadgets, but can manage well without them!)

I did test drive the NEW ford fiesta, which i REALLY, REALLY did like, however...its MPG was no better than my yaris, its road tax wasnt any better either....they were selling them in there drones, so depreciation is gonna be MEGA-STEEP...and the dealer was a total !Removed! so it was a :censor: you ford!!

Stayed with toyota - which their service is 2nd to none (well, maybe to rolls royce :lol: )

Matt :beer:

Is the Urban Cruiser supposed to be the replacement for the Yaris Verso?!

I can understand why Cyker asks the question, as i have been told by the Toyota salesman that this is the Yaris Verso's replacement. Like Reece I can't see it somehow, the only resemblance are the engines!

Well they've dropped the Verso and they've brought out the Urban Cruiser. They're both based on the Yaris chassis & engines....

They are totally different models aimed at different audiences, but as far as the salesman's concerned, he's lost one Yaris based model and gained another - so from his car-selling perspective and from the perspective of what car goes between the Yaris and Auris pages in the Toyota brochure, the UC has replaced the Verso....

The fact that the people who will come into the saleroom to look at it and buy it are a different set of people to those who would have bought the Verso is a separate matter....

(and I don't know, but I'll bet that the UC is built in the factory and on the production line that used to produce the Verso - so from that perspective its replaced it too....)

Auris of Urbau Cruiser........mmmmmmmm NEITHER.

For these reasons:-

The Urban Cruiser is a very cheap way for Toyota to sell you a tarted up Yaris for £15k which is absolute madness. Yes its well made, but the styling is very contrived and its no bigger inside than a yaris, I know as i sat in one while my Yaris SR'09 was in for its service a few weeks back and really couldnt understand what adds £4-5k to the price.

Auris, Now this a very good car, I thought about a 1.4D4D a year or so ago and drove one, very well made, and in 1.4 Diesel almost makes the (old) Pruis pointless in terms of size, economy and price. The problem is, its a very good car in a class of Very Very good cars some of which cost alot less. Its super conservative and back then the I-pod connection was stupidly expensive, and you cant have Cruise control on all but the top spec ones, not sure if this is still the case but if it is....... Silly.

If you want cheap buy a Hyundai I30, a friend chopped his golf in for one and he loves it, his priorities are reliabilty, build quality waranty and price (old Toyota qualities), or a Mazda 3 (new model) we just got 5 of these in work as company cars and they look good, drive nice and are cheaper than the equivelent Focus's.

Good luck with what you decide to go for!

Darren,

I'd hang on abit if you can the pressure on theres alot of un-happy Toyota owners looking for their next purchase and they're not happy, why?

Dropped models, Lowered spec's and Highered prices!

I have a 1.8 SR its ok usual Yaris good to drive and live with paint a little thin on last two models....

Its not a vauxhall VXR thank god, yeh it might be quicker but it doesn't have the quality, road handling nor will be a reliable over the years!

It seems the punters have been putting the pressure on in the showrooms making the salesmen listen rather than think about their sales bonus!

It seems there's a rethink going on so watch this space...

YEs we want eco cars but we also want chioce!

The more people that go in and say I'm probably going else where particulary Honda at the moment its eating into several manufacturers sales with the CIVIC and also Hyundi in the small hatch the better.

Tell them you want an SR or your keeping your money mind you there maybe better for the price!

Hi all,

New member here so hello everyone.

I have a dilema,,,,,,At the moment I own a Yaris 1.3 t3 with sport pack in venitian silver on a 56 plate from new.

Its been a cracking car and my first Toyota and I must add the service from the dealer is spot on,hence i will be staying with Toyota.

I will be changing and was hoping to stick with the Yaris but uprgrade to an SR but have been told they are no longer made with the 1.8 vvti engine,only the 1.33,which will be pretty much what i`m driving at the moment.

I will be test driving an Auris next week and if happy will go for the 1.6 tr (they no longer manufacture in the SR trim :angry: ) but have just seen the Urban cruiser in the show room. I have heard that these are expensive and only come in 1.3 and 1.4 deisel.

Do any of you guys own an Urban Cruiser or test drove one ?

How do they compare to the Auris in comfort,value etc.

What are your thoughts on the two cars and which would you choose given the choice ?

Thanks in advance

Darren Cox

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links