Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Radiator Fan

regentalcoing

Hello all, I noticed a weird noise yesterday coming from the front of my car after a 2 1/2 hour drive to the lakes. After parking up while the engine was still running, the noise happened after about a minute after stopping. The noise was that loud, it alarmed my friends who were sitting in their car just in front of mine (so it was pretty loud). I suspect it was the radiator fan, and it was a hot day. But still it shouldn't make such a loud noise. When it happened, i got out the car to see where the noise was coming from and then turned off the engine. When i turned it off it sounded as though the car just died. There were no over heating warning lights or anything, and the cars been fine since. Any suggestions as to what might be wrong? Or is this loud noise common with the yaris? I remember this also happened to me last year, I drove to york (on a hot day again) and the same thing happened, but thought nothing of it at the time. Its a 04 yaris blue edition, 1.0.

Cheers, jack.

With the engine off check that the fan spins freely and that there is nothing catching, also check that all the blades are intact and no build up of dirt/debris on them. Radiator fans do sound loud (especially when the engine isn't running) but it's a swooshing sort of noise and not a clatter/rumble.

I had a fan fail on me in another car. Whenever it came on it sounded like a squealing metallic sound, like a dry rusty bearing spinning fast. Thats what it was. The fan felt a little stiff but nothing too alarming. But when it ran, boy, it sounded like armageddon! So off i went to a scrappy and got one cheap. Ran fine thereafter.

If your fan hasn't got what stantheman said then it's most likely this.

cheers for the info guys, i'll check when i get home. Its like a realllllly really loud swooshing noise, no rattle or anything. Does the fan only turn on at certain times (i.e. when it starts to get hot) or is it supposed to spin all the time with the engine running? Cheers

There is a temperature sensor on the engine which switches the fan on when the water is really hot. Most of the time, the fan is doing nothing : hence the surprise at the noise and occasional rusty fan bearings..

There is a temperature sensor on the engine which switches the fan on when the water is really hot. Most of the time, the fan is doing nothing : hence the surprise at the noise and occasional rusty fan bearings..

My fan often comes on in stop start traffic...

Stop/start traffic is where it does get really hot, esp on a hot day anyway.

If it's too loud, try greasing the bearings or take the thing off and strip it,clean it,re-grease it ect...

Be cheaper than buying another! ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links