Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery Problems

matty_aygo

Been having problems with the Battery in the Aygo, its a 2006 (55 plate) Aygo Sport ,Petrol.

The car hasn't been driven for 2 weeks and went to start it the other day and it was dead, the Battery is only about 8 months old due to being replaced when the same thing happened. Went on holiday for 2 weeks came back and the car was dead, The RAC came out and just said it needs a new Battery. We also had the alternator checked and no problems with it.

So far I'm on the third battery due to the same problem, and now this one has just died. the car only has 32,000 miles on and is just over 3 years old, so not good, the only thing non standard is a 4 channel 200 watt amp which powers the Speakers but this is wired to the switched ignition, so only comes on when the key has been turned.

So I'm a little bit stumped, don't want to keep forking out for new batteries every year as the batteries for the Aygo cost a lot due to them being really small.

Im going to recheck all the connections with the amp with a multimeter, does anyone have an idea what the normal current the Aygo draws when the ignition is off?

Thanks Matty.

Hi Matty,

it is important on some Japanese cars, including the Aygo, to switch off everything individually before turning off the ignition, eg radio, wipers, lights etc because there can be residual current leakage. Also always ensure the interior light is off after closing the drivers door.

Let me know how you get on,

Kind regards,

Big-Kev

the only thing non standard is a 4 channel 200 watt amp which powers the speakers but this is wired to the switched ignition, so only comes on when the key has been turned.

That's your clue :thumbsup:

The amp doesn't draw any current from the Battery when the ignition is off though, it only comes on when you turn the ignition key.

The amp doesn't draw any current from the battery when the ignition is off though, it only comes on when you turn the ignition key.

As you say, the Battery is tiny, and I'd like to bet that the alternator is not putting "in" as much as the amp is drawing "out". Even if the current draw is equal to (or a bit less) the Battery will still not ever be getting charged as it normally would, and therefore failing prematurely. I don't think you'd have this problem if it had a bigger Battery.

I'd be buying an amp meter to monitor the Battery condition. As lofty says if you are drawing current at a greater level than the alternator can supply it it will draw on Battery reserves for top up and the Battery will never get fully charged. Petrol Aygo battery is only 38aH.

If this is the situation specify a battery suitable for a diesel as it will have greater capacity - about 60aH.

Thanks for the replies, always learn something new. Would it be possible to fit a bigger Battery then? say the 470Amp one from the D4D Aygo, or would this cause problems?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links