Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil Consumption

wots

Well the 1.8 SR has been easy to live with so far except it seems to be consuming oil?

None of my previos Toyotas from what I recall ever had a top up between servicing except maybe on a long run on a motorway on hols...

However it is supposed to be performance engine, don't laugh I Know its not stuningly quick, certainly not a VXR/Polo but it is quite a lump in a Yaris!

So I did wonder at first maybe its a thirtsy engine especially if your abit heavy footed, well I cant say thats the way I drive although I have gummed it alittle once or twice because a ***** decided he didn't like being over taken by a upstart Yaris!

After it Service Jan it ran for about 5K (Miles) consumed about .9 Litre which is way inside the manufacturers 1 litre per 1600 Km or there abouts.

its now done:-

(Total top up between Jan to May was actually .9 Ltr which means it consumed .3 Ltr for every 1.8K which fits belows average)

May 5.4K .5 Ltr

Jun 1.8K .4 Ltr

Jul 1.8K .4 Ltr

Aug 550 .3 Ltr (This reading makes things a little alarming unless I misread July's 1 1/2 weeks ago!)

Its alot of oil even if in spec! my old Passat 2 Ltr which is 14 yrs old has never had a top between service except for long fast runs in between several months!

I think I will be harder on the dealership this time round asking for another flush on oil change to see if theres debris (None last time so could be a seal leak - amazingly no smoke to note nor leaks!) I shall monitor it whilst away i August long run coming up if it survives but stays the same, well ok if not I shall be insisting they strip and investigate!

Anyone else?

I know of someone else that had a 1.8 SR and that to used a lot of oil, much to the disappointment of the owner :( A brand new car, at the time, and with less than a 1000 miles on the clock from new and it needed a litre of oil.

I’m not sure if the Yaris 1.8 is the same engine as the Avensis 1.8 which also has oil issues.

Moral of the story is: make sure you check it on a regular basis (at least at every re-fuel) otherwise it could turn out to be an expensive oversight.

Mine is just coming upto 4000 miles from new and the level as drop a little but I would'nt say alot for 4k

May I ask what type and grade of oil you are using?

Thanks.

Well its topped up another 300 ml on the day I posted and I've just realised I need to get it serviced before doing a long run away so I have booked in a Main Service.

I have already told them I want it flushed again! and I will be asking if there is any 'Bulletins' against the engine.

You could be right about the 1.8 being the same engine!

Watch this space I certainly will be pulling some punches at the dealers to get to the bottom of this, after all if I end up keeping it beyond the normal 3 year warranty I want some garuantee's from Toyota.

Even to the point of returning the car 1 year old or not consumers have rights beyong the normal sales statutes i.e. If they knew it wasn't fit for purpose they'll have to replace the engine or car!

I don't give in easy Ask Leicestershire COunty Council when they thought they'd take me on!

Thanks for the heads up on the Evensis I've had this since new hasn't been ragged and I check the oil every cpl days hang up from my service days it wasn't noticed as consuming oil until after about 6 months when I first had to put 1/2 litre in (Approx 5-7K mieage)

:censor:

I know of someone else that had a 1.8 SR and that to used a lot of oil, much to the disappointment of the owner :( A brand new car, at the time, and with less than a 1000 miles on the clock from new and it needed a litre of oil.

I’m not sure if the Yaris 1.8 is the same engine as the Avensis 1.8 which also has oil issues.

Moral of the story is: make sure you check it on a regular basis (at least at every re-fuel) otherwise it could turn out to be an expensive oversight.

Seriously, some engines use oil and its not a "fault" issue. It is to be expected, as long as its not excessive.

And up to 1 litre every 1000 miles was considered perfectly normal for most of the past three decades....

The issue is that people don't realise this and don't check their oil - just expecting it to last between services.

It is going to get worse, as manufacturers use thinner oils to improve fuel consumption and reduce CO2 emissions.

My Audi 2.0TDI would go through a 4 litre can inbetween services and that's perfectly normal - they all do it.

Since Audi changed their recommended oil though from a 0W-30 to a slightly thicker 5w-30, my car hardly uses any oil any more - but then the thicker oil will take longer to protect the turbo when cold, so I'm not sure which I prefer...

As per RCDEAN's thread, what oil rating did you use? There's usually a spread of oil viscosities specified in the manual.

First thing to check is that you did use an oil of the recommended viscocity (thickness).

If you have used one that's too thin, that would explain why its being used by the engine, as the oil seeps past seals and piston rings and gets burnet by the engine....

My Yaris brochure suggests a range of 5w-30 to 20w-50 depending on how cold you expect the weather to get and highlights 5w-30 as the recommended choice for the UK.

Now my old Yaris recommended 10w-30 which is thicker.

Its just the same engine. The use of thinner oil helps fuel economy, but has more chance of getting sucked into the engine.....

Also - you mention "flushing". That's going to make matters worse. Don't do it. Its going to strip away any oil residues that build up on the valve seals and in the cylinder bores, that would help seal the joints.

Excessive use of flushing agents could actually be the cause of your oil-usage issues......

Hence the post!

Straight from the manual 2ZR-FE

0W-20 preferred

5W-20 - 5W-30 alternates

However I'm using 0W-30 which is another recommended alternate 0W being the viscosity component, so that's the same as the preferred and the 30 component being the temp range i.e. to -30 - 100+

slightly thinner I guess! (but minor) but recommended!

It was slightly worrying considering the mileage and age since neither of the two previous Yaris's drank oil.

maybe I shud try 5W-30 since I don't have a turbo to worry about.

But yes ur right thinner oil does tend to seep thru particularly when the engine worked which is when the car seems to eat it the most ( as expected).

We'll see what Toyota say the next service.

I believe they flushed it last service however it was with fresh oil not flushing agents just to see if there was debris evident.

And again yes you're right the more the vehicles go towards improved consumption and emissions the stranger the oils we'll use.

No stranger to that working in the Aerospace industry.

Thanks for the post your obviously and ardent petrol head or come from an engineering background like myelf

Seriously, some engines use oil and its not a "fault" issue. It is to be expected, as long as its not excessive.

And up to 1 litre every 1000 miles was considered perfectly normal for most of the past three decades....

The issue is that people don't realise this and don't check their oil - just expecting it to last between services.

It is going to get worse, as manufacturers use thinner oils to improve fuel consumption and reduce CO2 emissions.

My Audi 2.0TDI would go through a 4 litre can inbetween services and that's perfectly normal - they all do it.

Since Audi changed their recommended oil though from a 0W-30 to a slightly thicker 5w-30, my car hardly uses any oil any more - but then the thicker oil will take longer to protect the turbo when cold, so I'm not sure which I prefer...

As per RCDEAN's thread, what oil rating did you use? There's usually a spread of oil viscosities specified in the manual.

First thing to check is that you did use an oil of the recommended viscocity (thickness).

If you have used one that's too thin, that would explain why its being used by the engine, as the oil seeps past seals and piston rings and gets burnet by the engine....

My Yaris brochure suggests a range of 5w-30 to 20w-50 depending on how cold you expect the weather to get and highlights 5w-30 as the recommended choice for the UK.

Now my old Yaris recommended 10w-30 which is thicker.

Its just the same engine. The use of thinner oil helps fuel economy, but has more chance of getting sucked into the engine.....

Also - you mention "flushing". That's going to make matters worse. Don't do it. Its going to strip away any oil residues that build up on the valve seals and in the cylinder bores, that would help seal the joints.

Excessive use of flushing agents could actually be the cause of your oil-usage issues......

I would be tempted to give it a quick oil change yourself, then you could see if there was any metalic debris in there by running a magnet through it.I would also use the thickest oil specified just for the summer months at least, then see how you go on.I tend to agree with alfijts as for flushing the engine again, it's not necessary.

My 2.0 Accord uses about 1litre every 4-5k, this is normal with my engine. The Civic TypeR can use a litre every 1000k if you drive it hard, again it's normal.

Maybe your 1.8 lump is like these? Just a charactaristic of the engine maybe? :)

I think you've hit the nail on the head mentioning that the 1.8SR uses a 0W viscocity oil....

There was a massive reduction in oil usage in my Audi when VW moved the recommnded oil from a 0W to a 5W spec.

It's reduced from using 4l to top up between services to needing less than 1l.

If a 5w oil is also approved in the manual, I'd definately give that a try next time...

From being brought up in an era when Castrol GTX 20w-50 was universally used across the board, we're now in a strange world when VW, Ford & Mercedes all have different spec 0w-30 oils that aren't interchangeable...

Alfie,

I saw a couple of other post's last nite and when it goes in for service this Thursday I will be asking Toyota to swap the oil which will be changed as part of the service to 5W-30 and see how it goes!

As I'm off to Scotland it will be a good chance next week to see if there's any change on a long fast run?

Off to Halfords again for a Spare 5 litres of 5W-30 for the boot I feel :lol:

Haven't we started to go full circle here? we're almost back to driving wartburgs......................uuuuuuuuuuuuurgh!

Gad that sent a shiver doen my spine, smelly two stroke contraptions!

On another note I'm suprised its slowed your consumption that significantly?

I would have thought it may halved maybe over a given period but hey its a difficult topic. Fluids do strange things! its one of my companies biggest expenses when designing jet pump & components particularly regards cavitation.

I'll let you all know the out come and feedback from Toyota

;)

I think you've hit the nail on the head mentioning that the 1.8SR uses a 0W viscocity oil....

There was a massive reduction in oil usage in my Audi when VW moved the recommnded oil from a 0W to a 5W spec.

It's reduced from using 4l to top up between services to needing less than 1l.

If a 5w oil is also approved in the manual, I'd definately give that a try next time...

From being brought up in an era when Castrol GTX 20w-50 was universally used across the board, we're now in a strange world when VW, Ford & Mercedes all have different spec 0w-30 oils that aren't interchangeable...

Haven't we started to go full circle here? we're almost back to driving wartburgs......................uuuuuuuuuuuuurgh!

Wartburgs.... Ah yes - the youth of today don't know they're born!

Now you have made me smile. There can't be many on this forum who used to mix their own 2-stroke oil in with their fuel, like I had to on my Yamaha back in '77......

Bring back the 2-stroke engined car and to heck with emissions control.....

• 6 months later...

Well girls un boys!

Bit late I know I went to Scotland came back only used the same amount of oil despite high speed, heavy loads, good eh!

It still uses approximately 500ml per 12-1500 miles within spec.

this equates annually to a complete oil change even with 5W-30.

its now March 2010 its had another service 30K and Toyota have said they have had reports of oil consumption with this engine.

I made them check the out going oil for debri and had them gas analiyse the engine no probs all healthy.

So the new engines maybe green in petrol and emmisions but they're consuming more of the planets oil!!

(!Removed! expensive it is too! £40 5ltrs) :censor:

Synthetic oil is a lubricant consisting of chemical compounds which are artificially made (synthesized) from compounds other than crude oil (petroleum). Synthetic oil is used as a substitute for lubricant refined from petroleum, because it generally provides superior mechanical and chemical properties than those found in traditional mineral oils.

Always buy a fully synthetic oil. Better for you, your engine and the environment. Don't bother with semi- synthetic oil, waste of money, time and useless in my opinion.

Completely different engines :)

Mart.

If you check your oil level every time you fill up, won't the engine oil give you an inaccurate reading as it would be at operating temperature? I was always told and taught to check my oil level, tyre pressure and other liquids on an level surface and when everything is cold (before you use the car).

Tyres you should check cold - because driving causes the air in the tyres to heat up - and heated air expands, creating a false (higher) pressure reading.

Same with the coolant - as the warm coolant expands and the level will rise slightly in the expansion tank, for for an accurate check, you should do it when the engine is cold.

What you mustn't do with a hot engine is remove the radiator or coolant pressure cap as the coolant is under pressure when hot and might spray scalding water out.

With the engine oil, the important thing is to make sure you don't check the level lust after you have turned the engine off, as the oil that's been spread around the engine needs to drain back into the sump to give the proper reading - it doesn't matter if you check the engine oil when the engine is warm, as long as you wait a few minutes after turning off the engine before you do....

(So if you check it at the petrol station, do it after you have filled up with petrol, not before... )

So yes, the best advice is to check everything when the engine is cold, hasn't been run for a while and is on a level surface - that way you can do all your checks at once.

But as long as you leave the engine for five minutes before you check the oil level, then there's nothing wrong or unsafe with doing that check when the engine is warm.

Mart.

As I said, I wasn’t sure, but thanks for the capital letters :thumbsup:

Mart.

As I said, I wasn’t sure, but thanks for the capital letters :thumbsup:

I highlighted the part of your post i was replying to....its not in capitals lol.

Always try and help out ;)

Mart.

i need to check mine, think i done about 4k since my service.....

Just wondering does anyone know the right tyre pressure for the 1.8 SR

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links