Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High Pitched Squeaky Noise Come From Corrolla

mashk

Hi Guys,

I've noticed a sort of high pitched squeaky noise when starting my Corolla from cold. It's a 1.4 2005 VVTI. After a few minutes of driving it seems to go away, but will occasionally come again.

I'm thinking it may be the bushes, or possible a loose alternator belt. However, the sound doesn't seem to be coming from the engine.

Any ideas?

It's normally the serpentine belt ( alternator belt ) which gives the most problems when you have a squeeling noise but can also

be the heat shields around the exhaust manifold buzzing until everything warms up and expands.

Mick

Cheers for the reply Mick,

Had a little drive around, it's definitely coming from the engine and not from the rear! I think it's probably the fan belt too. I'm tempted to just go out and WD40 it! It couldn't hurt could it?

Had a little drive around, it's definitely coming from the engine and not from the rear! I think it's probably the fan belt too. I'm tempted to just go out and WD40 it! It couldn't hurt could it?

I wouldn't wd40 it, as the pulley/belt have to be dry to get enough friction to work properly...

loosen up the bolts on top and bottom of alternator, tighten alternator, and tighten bolts.job done :D

I wouldn't wd40 it, as the pulley/belt have to be dry to get enough friction to work properly...

loosen up the bolts on top and bottom of alternator, tighten alternator, and tighten bolts.job done :D

Cheers, that's sounds promising.

From being an occasional squeak, it's doing it pretty much all the time. :( I take it, it's safe to drive?

And how hard is that job, for the complete and utter novice? Would I be safer getting a garage to do it?

Cheers, that's sounds promising.

From being an occasional squeak, it's doing it pretty much all the time. :( I take it, it's safe to drive?

And how hard is that job, for the complete and utter novice? Would I be safer getting a garage to do it?

A quick way to check if it is the belt is to spray a little water on to the toothed/ribbed side when it is making the noise. If the noise goes away you know it is the belt.

Just another quick observation. I only get the squeaking whilst moving. I would have thought if it was the belt, it'd be running if I had the engine on and the car in neutral.

Just another quick observation. I only get the squeaking whilst moving. I would have thought if it was the belt, it'd be running if I had the engine on and the car in neutral.

is it a squeak or more a squeal?

does it go away if you lightly press the brake pedal or rest your foot on the clutch (in both cases press hard enough to 'take up the slack', but not hard enough to actually slow the car or release the clutch).

If it goes away with the brake pedal then the brake pad shims may be worn/not present or there may be a build up of brake dust which is a common problem.

If it goes away with the clutch pedal then your clutch release bearing or output shaft bearing on the gearbox may be the cause.

If it doesn't go away, a possibility could be a loose heatshield around the exhaust area.

is it a squeak or more a squeal?

does it go away if you lightly press the brake pedal or rest your foot on the clutch (in both cases press hard enough to 'take up the slack', but not hard enough to actually slow the car or release the clutch).

If it goes away with the brake pedal then the brake pad shims may be worn/not present or there may be a build up of brake dust which is a common problem.

If it goes away with the clutch pedal then your clutch release bearing or output shaft bearing on the gearbox may be the cause.

If it doesn't go away, a possibility could be a loose heatshield around the exhaust area.

Come to think of it, it's more of a squeal than a squeak. I'll try the brakes and clutch in a bit when I go home.

Cheers.

Took it to a garage yesterday, they think it's the brakes. According to the fella there, my brake pads have worn and my brake discs have been damaged due to metal being used to stop the car. So I'll need to replace the front set of discs and pads.

Does this sound about right? I would have thought the squealing noise would only have occurred if I used the brakes.

sounds plausible - there is a wear indicator on the pads. Basically this is a bit of metal that will come in to contact with the disc when the pads are very worn. See the little silver bit of curved metal at the right side of the black pad in the centre below:

b09.jpg

This will make the squealing noise as a warning to service your brakes. Depending how long this has been happening your discs may be too badly scored.

The squealing can happen even when not using the brakes as the caliper holds the pads very lightly against the disc at all times Turning corners can make the pads contact the disc more or less. This probably explains why the noise was coming and going.

Ask they mechanic if you can look at the pads and discs. If the pads have less than 2mm left on them then they are seriously worn. If the discs are damaged you will be able to see a definite scoring from this bit of metal.

How much mileage have you done since the pads were last changed?

sounds plausible - there is a wear indicator on the pads. Basically this is a bit of metal that will come in to contact with the disc when the pads are very worn. See the little silver bit of curved metal at the right side of the black pad in the centre below:

b09.jpg

This will make the squealing noise as a warning to service your brakes. Depending how long this has been happening your discs may be too badly scored.

The squealing can happen even when not using the brakes as the caliper holds the pads very lightly against the disc at all times Turning corners can make the pads contact the disc more or less. This probably explains why the noise was coming and going.

Ask they mechanic if you can look at the pads and discs. If the pads have less than 2mm left on them then they are seriously worn. If the discs are damaged you will be able to see a definite scoring from this bit of metal.

Much obliged. 5.gif

According to the mechanic, the discs are damaged as the pads have completely worn away and metal has been grinded.

Bought the car a year ago it had just past it's first MOT and had only ever had full Toyota services. This was at 35K, it's at about 40K now. I naively assumed the brake pads would have been changed with the Toyota services and with my very light mileage they wouldn't have had much wear and tear.

You live and learn I suppose. I'm just hoping it'll sort the problem out. Mechanic has informed be that both frontside brakes and discs will cost me either £67 or £80 quid, dependant upon which ones I need. It's one of two, and as he hasn't got the car in front of him he'll order both.

MOTs due in two weeks too.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links