Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Fog

tony4

I'm going to fit one myself and it only needs to pass the mot.

I've read somewhere that it only needs to modify the reverse light, can I have more information on how to do it?

Thanks

i hope your making notes about all you gotta do to get the car prepaired.. as you know i'll be on ya tail when i get mine through!! :lol::thumbsup:

I think you actually mean modify the rear brake light? Yes it can be done in this way, since Imports have two rear brake bulbs (either side). What you need to do is to disconnect two of them, and wire them into a separate switch (which you can mount somewhere in the drivers compatment. You will need to wire the circuit into the car's power system somehow, either into a powersource in the existing loom (be careful here that you select a powerful enough source otherwise you'll blow a fuse whenever the fog lights are turned on). If you wire directly into the Battery, remember to include a fuse somewhere in the circuit.

I will Fizz and thanks Dame.

sounds quite straight forward to me. However, taking out one brake bulb each side might lose the brightness of my brakelight.

hmm...at the end i will need to do all the wiring. why not just put an extra "flip in/out" rear fog light type.

One more question, can i use the front fog switch together with the rear? without having independant switch to each light?

How do you mean lose the brightness? They're actually two separate lights, it's just on Jap cars they're both wired for braking.

You could just add an extra fog light, but I think the brake light modification looks a lot neater. You could use some diodes, and make the fog light dual use i.e. fiunctions as a fog light when the fog light switch is on, but acts as a brake light at all other times.

Do you mean can I use the same swich for front and rear fog lights? I would say not, simply because I think to pass the MOT they have to be on separate switches. Don't quote me on that, but it is the way that most cars are wired (at least all the cars I've driven) so I;d image they're wired that way for a reason.

I see, what I thought was having only 1 brake bulb for each side will be dimmer than 2 brake bulb each side. Since assigning the other bulb just for the fog.

However, making the fog light "dual use"will not lose the brightness. which is a very good idea.

I wonder if you have the wiring diagram? orelse it will be a proffesional job. £25 an hour. But I really like to do it myself to gain knowledge and save some money. :yes::yes:

I wonder if you have the wiring diagram? orelse it will be a proffesional job. £25 an hour. But I really like to do it myself to gain knowledge and save some money. :yes::yes:

World of student living... :thumbsup:

:D :D

Thanks Dame. I think i've found the answer.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/qanda/ViewThread.asp...MessageID=96101

http://www.imoc.co.uk/qanda/ViewThread.asp...MessageID=77529

I'm going to plug in the fog wire when MOT and disconnect it after MOT.... if I've got more time, maybe go with the diode..

Any one knows where is the best way to get 12v without blowing the fuse , if not... what size fuse should i use when getting it direct from the Battery?

Hmm not sure on the best way to 12V without blowing a fuse. I know the headlights have individual fuses (one for each side), and I wouldn't reccomment taking power from the cigarette lighter. Direct from the Battery would be good, but from somewhere on the loom would be neater.....

Fuse rating - what are the wattages are the brake lights?

Remember current (amps) = wattage divided by voltage. So if they're 30W then it is

30/12 which is 2.5 multiply this by 2 for each side and you have 5 amps. Add a little headroom, and I'd suggest a 7.5 amp fuse.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links