Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Please In Decision To Buy.

Bob Sutton

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I bought a brand new 1.0 GS Yaris in March 2001. It has been absolutely brilliant, 100% reliable, cheap to run, service, etc.

It has now done 71000 miles (with full service history) and I have been so impressed with it, I was thinking of trading in our 2004 Micra and replacing it with a 2006 or 2007 D-4-D Yaris. I cannot afford to buy brand new this time.

I believe our old Yaris was one of the last to be built in Japan and would hate to think, as the new shape ones are built in France, they would not be as reliable as my old one.

Any comments or views would be welcome.

Kind regards,

Bob Sutton.

Hi Bob

Don't let the whole France thing put you off... it's a bit of a bone of contention, because people claim that Japanese ones are better built. IMO there's no real proof to back this up.

I myself have had two French built Yaris', both with no faults or issues and I was very happy with the build quality of both.

So I seriously wouldn't let a tiny matter of where it's built cloud your judgement on what is, quite frankly, an excellent choice of car. My Aygo is built in the Czech Republic and again, no issues or concerns. All makes of car have bad apples and while I'm not disputing some French built Yaris' have had issues, so have Japanese built ones.

So, I wouldn't really worry too much - they have been building in France for ages now and they have a lot of satisfied customers :thumbsup:

The new 2009 Yaris is built in France. However! The staff that build them are now personally responsible for their own quality of work. I have been in the new 09 Yaris and it was solid. No squeaks or rattles, I was very impressed. Many parts are from Japan, the new 1.33 engine is also made in Japan. I would say buy with confidence.

That's exactly what we bought two of!

Shame you can't get that spec any more with the new 1.33 engine.

We did exactly what you did Bob. We had a 2000 Yaris from new and swapped it in 2008 for the new model.

Very happy so far and no regrets about changing.

In fact daughter was so impressed by the new Yaris that she went out and bought another for herself (but 9 months old, as it had to be the 2008 SR spec tested above and you couldn't buy that new any more.....)

Avoid the T2, as that had a much lower specification than all the others, but as long as you go for a T3 or above, you won't be disappointed.

2006 & 2007 were similar specifications.

They did a few changes to the range in 2008 and then a complete revamp in 2009.

Even though the diesel is more economical, because of the extra purchase price, I worked out that we'd have to cover 40,000 miles just to break even - and that even took the cheaper tax of the diesel into account - so don't write off a 1.3 petrol without trying one.....

i have car built in belgium, bought from germany (left side steering wheel ofcourse) had no problems so far. french made cars arent so good as all think. all friends of mine who had french made cars such as peugeot or citroen almost all of them had electric problems not even a year passed. i know one of them burned of the elecrtic fault and it was 2008 peugeot. i dont trust them so much anymore considering i wanted to buy a french car instead of my yaris lmao

i have car built in belgium, bought from germany (left side steering wheel ofcourse) had no problems so far. french made cars arent so good as all think. all friends of mine who had french made cars such as peugeot or citroen almost all of them had electric problems not even a year passed. i know one of them burned of the elecrtic fault and it was 2008 peugeot. i dont trust them so much anymore considering i wanted to buy a french car instead of my yaris lmao

You know, don't throw french-made and french-built cars into one bucket. Peugeot is french-made, which is generally cr*p, as all sensitive french cars, but french built Yaris, which has most of it's components from Japan is all great. Most importantly engine, clutch, steering, brakes, gearbox, electrics etc. Rest is just plastic components. :thumbsup:

Hello Everyone,

Many thanks to all who have viewed my post and special thanks to those who have taken the time and trouble to reply.

Your comments are really appreciated.

Kind regards,

Bob Sutton

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links